Author Topic: Modded Sonata Turbo  (Read 8443 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Modded Sonata Turbo
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »
Huge grille to say the least, but I am really digging the side profile.  Interior looks great too.   Overall, I really like it.

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Modded Sonata Turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »
Exterior is fine
 So someone paid to have the interior look like that  :hurl:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »
Exterior is fine

:iagree:

The mauve tinge just doesn't do it for me. :shake:
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

CatsEye68

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:09:30 pm »
Exterior is fine

Hard plastic and fake suede... what passes for "style" these days I guess. Sad.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:20:14 pm »
Exterior is fine

Figured you'd be along shortly.  If you had any idea whatsoever, you'd know it's not fake suede. 

In any case, I've detailed a number of cars that had custom Alcantara interiors and they actually look pretty decent in person.  It's not something I would do personally but it's all personal preference though and probably geared towards the younger generations.  Alcantara interiors are actually extremely popular amongst higher end vehicles, Bimmers, Ferarris, Lambos, etc. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:22:53 pm »
Exterior is fine

the interior certainly doesn't look "money", but at least it's fairly clean, no weird gauges hanging out of pillars or ugly dash pods.

exterior, front is ok, rear, not so much.  too low, too big of wheels, brakes look too small etc.

when i read the thread title, i thought it was gonna be a sonada modded for track...  bummer
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:24:42 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »
Exterior is fine

Figured you'd be along shortly.  If you had any idea whatsoever, you'd know it's not fake suede. 

In any case, I've detailed a number of cars that had custom Alcantara interiors and they actually look pretty decent in person.  It's not something I would do personally but it's all personal preference though and probably geared towards the younger generations.  Alcantara interiors are actually extremely popular amongst higher end vehicles, Bimmers, Ferarris, Lambos, etc. 

I really hate to say this but, isn't "fake suede" technically correct (although somewhat pejorative the way it was used above  ::) ) . It is,after all, a man made material that resembles suede. When I read the Wiki article on Acantera it said it was developed in Japan in the 70's by the same company the invented "ultrasuede". Sort of like MB Tex or whatever VW is calling their "man made" leather interiors. :)

Of course when you think of it,natural suede would hardly be practical for upholstery

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »
Exterior is fine

I really hate to say this but, isn't "fake suede" technically correct (although somewhat pejorative the way it was used above  ::) ) . It is,after all, a man made material that resembles suede. When I read the Wiki article on Acantera it said it was developed in Japan in the 70's by the same company the invented "ultrasuede". Sort of like MB Tex or whatever VW is calling their "man made" leather interiors. :)

Of course when you think of it,natural suede would hardly be practical for upholstery

Actually, faux suede and Alcantara are two different products even though both are man made.  :)

CatsEye68

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:05 pm »
Actually, faux suede and Alcantara are two different products even though both are man made.  :)

If it isn't sourced from a cow, it's fake.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:33 am »
I like the blacked out grille on the white car - I've seen one guy on a Hyundai forum do this with his ride and it looked quite cool, even absent all the other mods.  Not a high production pro shot, but you get the idea:

And don't worry - as soon as GM offers Alcantara in any car, Greg will be back to tell us that it's the bestest thing ever.  ;)  I'm curious - would anyone actually want real suede for interior trim?  The stuff doesn't exactly wear like iron.  Synthetic materials have their benefits in certain applications.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:00:51 am »
Looks good.  The grill and painting the chrome strip between the hood and quarter panels make a big difference.  If I had a Sonata I'd seriously consider going that route.

CatsEye, welcome to the ignore list.  Now people need to stop quoting him.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

CatsEye68

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 06:12:46 pm »
CatsEye, welcome to the ignore list.  Now people need to stop quoting him.

What a bizarro bunch on this website. If you get bent out of shape over my comments above, especially in the context of what I was commenting about, you shouldn't be on a message board.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »
I like the blacked out grille on the white car - I've seen one guy on a Hyundai forum do this with his ride and it looked quite cool, even absent all the other mods.  Not a high production pro shot, but you get the idea:

And don't worry - as soon as GM offers Alcantara in any car, Greg will be back to tell us that it's the bestest thing ever.  ;)  I'm curious - would anyone actually want real suede for interior trim?  The stuff doesn't exactly wear like iron.  Synthetic materials have their benefits in certain applications.

Jaeger

Yeah, suede and faux suede are really bad interior choices from a durability perspective.  Alcantara is extremely durable and very easy to clean, hence the reason it's typically 4-5 times the price.

Here's a 599GTB Fiorano with the Alcantara interior.   :lick:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 06:43:24 pm »

Jaeger

Yeah, suede and faux suede are really bad interior choices from a durability perspective.  Alcantara is extremely durable and very easy to clean, hence the reason it's typically 4-5 times the price.

Here's a 599GTB Fiorano with the Alcantara interior.   :lick:

So....let me see if I've got this straight.  This Alcantara stuff isn't fake suede because it's reeeeally expensive fake suede that's durable and easy to clean?  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:47:44 pm »
Then CatsEye should be along anytime to sing it's praises.  ;)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 06:54:32 pm »
Vmango, I completely forgot about the CTS-V having the alcantara as well.  That is one sexy interior.  I got to sit in one last summer when visiting the States.......I didn't want to get out of the car.   ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:09:21 pm »

Jaeger
And what was said about the cloth dash on the chevy cruze when James tested it? Cloth or suede wouldn't be my cup of tea. The fellow that  modded this sonata obviously liked  it however.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:17:21 pm »

Jaeger
And what was said about the cloth dash on the chevy cruze when James tested it? Cloth or suede wouldn't be my cup of tea. The fellow that  modded this sonata obviously liked  it however.

Trust me, it's not everyone's cup of tea whatsoever.  While some may disagree, I really like the interior of the Cruze......especially at the price point.  The downside is those pieces of Cruze interior are faux suede, which is not very durable and extremely hard to clean. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:35 pm »
^^^ Exactly.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 07:46:25 pm »
^ Alcantara on the other hand looks much better (IMHO), and is incredibly more durable than any suede or faux suede.  The downside is that it is very expensive, and thus the reason why you only see higher priced cars having it from the factory.