Author Topic: My Dad in 1955  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
My Dad in 1955
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:24 am »
I just posted this on another forum where somebody had posted some ski-plane pictures.

This is a picture of my father in about 1955. It's a tiny, beat-up, wallet sized contact print of him and his Piper Cub. It's one of only two known photos of the plane when my dad owned it (got rid of it before I was even born).

It reminds me of what a different era that really was.

My father wasn't an educated man...unless you count finishing the tenth grade as "education". But it was a time when a simple man of modest means could make a life. He had a motorcycle that he and my mother road across the whole continent. He rebuilt the engine in his kitchen sink. A man could learn to fly for $150 bucks and buy a used J3 for $900. The best thing about that time was that a young guy with some drive could go to a big company and they would teach him a skill from scratch. He went to work for Trans Canada Airlines and learned to be a skilled turbine engine fuel control technician back when few civilians did the job.

Truly, the good old days.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: My Dad in 1955
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:33:40 am »
The good old days indeed. When a whole family could have a good life on one skilled workers wage. I agree to a certain extent.

This came up in an article in The Times (the UK one) a couple of years back and was answered roughly as follows. Paraphrased from memory

" Yes the mid '50s.  Casual racism against coloured people. No civil rights for blacks in the USA. Homosexuals being put in prison.  Women locked out of many professions.  "No Jews" signs appearing in a few places and being enforced in many more "

Against all that. You could smoke anywhere. Have a drink and probably drive home without being arrested. Go the USA without a passport. Have a good chance of finding Made in Canada ( or Made in England in my case) stuff in all the stores. Fewer ads on the one or two tv channels that were available.

So I dunno. I was only 10 so life seemed great to me.

Man does that Piper Cub look tiny.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:51 am »
I agree to a certain extent as well about it being the good old days. I grew up in a suburban home in the 60's with a stay at home mom and a white collar dad. In the summers we went to the cottage.  Very much a "Leave it to Beaver" childhood.

As far as having only one income goes remember that nobody was paying monthly bills for cell phones,internet access or cable TV. In fact,I can't remember anyone's house having more than one TV. Kids played outdoors or went to the "Y" or scouts at little or no cost. Far fewer households ran two cars. Housing in general was much more modest even for professionals.

I'm not sure there was even one "lawncare" or landscaping company in the city. Everyone cut their own or hired a neighbourhood teenager.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I'd also bet taxes were much lower. I seem to remember the PST in NB being 4% ? edit....I just googled it and the PST in New Brunswick was 3% in the early 60's....those were the good old days! :o

Has anyone read Bill Bryson's "The Thunderbolt Kid" ?    Set in Iowa but it certainly provides a trip down memory lane for Boomers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:46:01 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:46 am »
..Kool pic DEX..............FREEDOM 55 indeed......... :thumbup:......

so have u inherited some of Pa's spirit.....where's your 2005 equivalent Photie............... ??? :stick: >:D...

Sailor Boy....   yeah Bill Bryson is a hoot.........just finished his new tome "HOME" his "Sunburned Country" aboot OZ woz my fave.......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:57:12 am »
Right Sailor.  We played outdoors or with hand me down Meccano in the winter. Only one car or even no cars in my house until about '59.   In the UK sales tax ( Purchase tax) was I think at quite high rates on some things like cars but hidden.  I remember only one of the families of kids of my cohort had a new car and that was 'cos dad worked at a car dealer.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 09:17:18 am »
..Kool pic DEX..............FREEDOM 55 indeed......... :thumbup:......

so have u inherited some of Pa's spirit.....where's your 2005 equivalent Photie............... ??? :stick: >:D...

Sailor Boy....   yeah Bill Bryson is a hoot.........just finished his new tome "HOME" his "Sunburned Country" aboot OZ woz my fave.......

Part way through "Home" right now (Christmas gift)  I'm finding it a little heavier going than some of his earlier stuff. I also enjoyed his "A Walk in the Woods" about hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 09:18:17 am »
Like everything, some things were better, some not.  In terms of income distribution, we had a very strong middle class thanks to huge tax rates at the very top of the scale.  That is a major reason why folks like Dexer's Dad could do reasonably well.  (Marginal tax rates for high income earners were close to 90%!)

We also have the strain of an entire population seeking work.  In the 50's and 60's, many women did not work.  This created a smaller labour pool, and raised wages per worker in comparison to today.  Not saying women shouldn't work, just noting the difference.

Our standard of living is higher, and by a giant margin.  Even lower income homes have technology galore.  Cars are safer and more reliable.  Many more people travel by air.  Health care advances and access have created a huge benefit (and problem in terms of cost).  Food is cheap and in North America, readily available.  My grandparents had to have a large garden.  It was not a hobby!

Home size?  My house was built in 1971, and at 1800 sq. ft., it was huge.  Four bedrooms, three full baths, main floor laundry and huge double garage?  (22'x30)  The original owner was a big-shot accountant 'cause houses like this were for folks pretty well off.  Why do we need 3000 sq ft houses?  It's stupid.  It's because we spend too much time inside them.  We need a "home theater?"

I would want to return to people being outdoors and active, but I would not want the levels sexism, racism, homophobia and communist paranoia that came with the 1950's.

I don't think either era is better.  They are different.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 11:39:41 am »
..opinions are like buses another one will be along in a minute..........i enjoyed the 60's and seventies,even 80's more than today,seems MANY folks nowadaze have less time for FUN & Family....................and are chasing a $$$$$$.......... :'(....

course I was Younger then and much SMARTER................. :rofl2:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 11:45:46 am »

Well,I'll grant you at least one out of two  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48:43 am »
I'll take SMARTER....fer $500 Alex...............smartassalex......... ;D..I deliberately left out better looking & hornier just to tease YOU!!! :o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:54:06 am by safristi »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 12:30:50 pm »
It funny how some people talk about a time that they can barely remember or were not ebven around for
I really do not remember anything from the 50's , just know what I was told
Both my parents work, rented out 5 rooms in 7 room house and were making less the a dollar an hour
Refrig was over $400 And you had to pay your medical bills
I really do not think ,50's were a better time

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 12:54:13 pm »
It funny how some people talk about a time that they can barely remember or were not ebven around for
I really do not remember anything from the 50's , just know what I was told
Both my parents work, rented out 5 rooms in 7 room house and were making less the a dollar an hour
Refrig was over $400 And you had to pay your medical bills
I really do not think ,50's were a better time

Maybe a more accurate statement would be that it was a great time to be comfortably middle class?

I was born in the late 50's so my childhood memories are really more 60's although I think the eras were pretty similar in a lot of ways.

BTW   The difference between that $400 fridge you mentioned and a $2000+ one of recent vintage is that the 50's fridge is probably still working in a cottage,camp or basement somewhere ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »
I do remember the '50s. At the beginning I was at primary school learning writin' and 'rithmic ( could already read... thank you Grandma). At the end I was at high school. At the beginning in an apartment struggling. Food rationing was still going on, at the end in a council house in a new town, still poor but we had enough and some "luxuries " were available...like going to the movies, buying a paperback every so often and so on.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13:54 pm »
From what I understand the 50's was a bleak decade in the UK (at least when compared to North America).

CatsEye68

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:59 pm »
..opinions are like buses another one will be along in a minute..........i enjoyed the 60's and seventies,even 80's more than today,seems MANY folks nowadaze have less time for FUN & Family....................and are chasing a $$$$$$.......... :'(....

We must have come along around the same time Saffy, since I feel the same way. The 80s were a great time, the 70s not so bad for me (or course I was in school then and didn't have many bills to pay), and the 60s were a time of growing up and feeling happy as a kid. The thing I don't understand is that I earn 3 or 4 times as much now as I did in the 80s and seem to have less cash to throw around... and a lot fewer pretty young ladies around me to waste it on... :o

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 02:04:46 pm »
The world back in those days was so different it almost seems unreal when I think about it. I was a very young boy in the late Fifties and we lived in an ethnically mixed working-class neighbourhood in an area of Edmonton called Norwood. The houses were all tiny by today's standards and ours couldn't have been more than 800 sq.ft. at most, many homes were even smaller than that. No one had more than one car, and it was usually an older one if they had one at all. My Dad didn't get his first car until I was about six or seven and it was at least three years old.

We kids were always playing outside, we all knew each other and we got along better than kids seem to today.  We were happy, well-fed and we were respectful of others if we knew what was good for us. Talking back to our parents usually earned us a good strapping from the old man, swearing at them and calling them by their first names like so many kids do these days was completely unheard of. I know the world was a much nastier place in a lot of ways but I wouldn't trade growing up in those days for anything. For me it really was a wonderful time to be a kid.

One of my fondest memories of those times is how well everyone got along and how friendly people were. One of our neighbours was a black family and their youngest son was my best friend. They were a very popular and beloved family and did very well for themselves. None of us ever really gave race or color a second thought, certainly I didn't until I was older and the riots started happening in the States in the mid-Sixties. Only then did I realize how lucky I was to grow up where and when I did.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »
Hey, cool...thanks for posting.

Sounds like everything has changed...except for the airplanes!

If the other photo has the ident letters on it, we could see where it is.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:39 pm »
Schmengie, you just described my childhood EXACTLY as I remember it.

I grew up in a tiny house. Truth is, it would be considered abject poverty. When my Father's dad (my Grandfather) died in 1957 (months before I was born), my father took in his mother and took on his father's debts. Until I was nine years old, I lived in a one bedroom house. I slept on a folding cot in the living room. My grandmother slept on the couch. The house had no bathroom or bath tub. There was a toilet and shower stall in the basement. Bathing was done in a galvanized steel laundry tub filled with water from a kettle.

But I had NO CONCEPT of poverty. I was just a regular kid and, to the best of my knowledge, my friends saw me as a regular kid. Only much later (probably as a teenager), after my parents worked us out of poverty, did I look back and realize, "Holy cow, we were dirt poor". But in 1965, I though I was living a perfectly normal life.

There was a girl named "Gale" who lived 4 houses south of me. I remember playing with her all the time. I vividly recall that she had a cowboy hat and we would play with our politically incorrect silver cap pistols...firing at each other from cover behind the living room chairs. It seemed 100% normal. Again, I would look back at those times and it wasn't until about 20 years later that I realized Gale had Down's Syndrome.

I played with two brothers who lived on my block. I remember that one had oddly contorted limbs and had trouble keeping up with the rest of us...but it was no big deal. I knew they were Indians (this was long before anybody used the word "aboriginal") but that really meant nothing. Years later, I would come to understand that the one brother in fact had Polio. In 1965, nobody made a big deal about it.

I had a terrible crush on a girl named "Susan". She lived on my street. We went to school together from kindergarten right up through high school. I didn't see her again for 20 years until, by strange coincidence, she ended up moving back to Winnipeg and buying the house across the street from me. As we became re-acquainted, I suddenly realized that she was Metis. Then I looked at her old school yearbook pictures and thought, "Of course she's Metis...how did I not notice?". She's since moved but she's one of my best friends and we've talked on the phone several times in this last week. From 1963 when we met in Kindergarten to high school graduation in 1976, I never noticed she wasn't white.

That's way things were: Dirt poor white trash, the girl with Down's Syndrome, the Indian with polio and the pretty Metis girl.

And we all thought we were exactly the same.

Boy, were we ignorant :) .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:39:53 pm by Dexer »

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »
OH...the Plane is Piper Cub CF-DSQ.

My cousin emailed me a couple of months back to say it's for sale. I think the last known location of the plane was in Quebec.

BTW, my cousin is an Aurora pilot in the CAF and credits my father with getting him interested in airplanes.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 05:27:55 pm »

That's way things were: Dirt poor white trash, the girl with Down's Syndrome, the Indian with polio and the pretty Metis girl.

And we all thought we were exactly the same.

Boy, were we ignorant :) .

It struck a chord when you mentioned the kid with polio. A kid that lived right across the street from us was confined to a wheelchair because of scoliosis and God knows what else. He was extremely frail but all the neighbourhood kids made a real effort to befriend him and make him feel part of the group. We played with him, took him to the corner store for ice-cream, all sorts of things. I don't remember anyone ever making fun of him or neglecting him. He was just another kid to us. We moved into a new house in the early Sixties and I understand he passed away not long afterwards. He was about my age at the time, no more than 10. I haven't thought about him for a long time, but the memories are bringing tears to my eyes as I sit here. He was such a sweet kid. :'(
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:45:12 pm by Schmengie »