Author Topic: Talk Me Out of This TV Set  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
Talk Me Out of This TV Set
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:55:51 pm »
I was just doing some preliminary TV research this morning...no intention of buying until spring. Well, you know how it goes. Those salesman get on you and you end up seconds away from signing on the dotted line! They're good!

Somehow, my willpower held and I managed to escape the retail jungle with my wallet intact!

However, during the course of my shopping, I ended up with a number of very attractive deals offered to me. It started of with the folks at Visions Electronics (big in Western Canada...perhaps not in the East) offering me a deal on an "820" series 60" Sharp Quattron LED (backlit) LCD TV. I also checked around and found the "810" series now on sale at Future Shop and Best Buy (check todays national flyer). The 810 series is cheaper...apparently because of some minor layout differences and the screen material but knowledgeable people are telling me the LCD panel and picture quality between the two models is the same.

Here's what I'm lookin' at:

http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.asp?cat=30&id=829

After making the rounds...and telling each store of the previous offers, I'm looking at a sweet deal (pick out a stand you like and we'll throw that in).

So, I've got some decision making to do during the weekend.

I've seen the picture from this set and I like it. Yes, I acknowledge that the "fourth" color is more hype than reality. Yes, I understand that a 60" LED TV is really and LED backlit LCD. 120hz refresh is fine. I've read a lot of the online chatter. Some people have complaints (obviously). There seem to be a number of complaints about lip synching issues. Understandably, on the internet, it's hard to gauge how widespread certain issues are. However (and this is important), I checked a site that tabulates ALL the magazine and website reviews. After averaging 52 different reviews, they scored this set as 91/100. That's pretty good.

I'm talking myself into this set.

Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Talk Me Out of This TV Set
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:40:39 am »
Yes, I acknowledge that the "fourth" color is more hype than reality.

Most 'pro' reviews I have read always mention how this fourth colour messes things up and pushes out too much yellow so when the TV is calibrated, its never right. Of course, would it actually bother most users, that is something you need to decide.

How far do you sit from the TV?
Is your room light controlled? If so, could you do a projector instead?

There are always deals on TVs and they only get better for the same money or cheaper. Never something you need to rush into buying.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:23 am »
Does it come in 65" ;D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:11:40 am »
Technology never sleeps.
There's never a good time to buy technology.
It will be outclassed in a years time.

Hope this helps. :hello:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:25 am »
Wot can I say Super_BOWEL in 2 weeks..........and IBS syndrome need scratchin'............you have my" teachers letter" to proceed......it's ONLY DEPRECIATING MONEY.........and U said the PRICE WOZ $699.99.... ;)... :stick: :pimp: >:D....................Here's LOOKIN' IN YER WINDOW BUB...... :o :o :o..

A'QUOS other minds may differ...............ignore them.......... ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:20:45 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1207
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:54:31 am »
$3K? Yes you should wait, or buy something else...I've got the Samsung Plasma Series 5, 58", Visions sells it for $2299. Great TV! Refresh rate is 600HZ.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 10:15:17 am »
Oh...nowhere near 3k.

This set is going for $2199 at Future Shop and Best Buy.

The deals I'm being offered put it at about 2k.

Railton is 100% right about technology never sleeping and this TV set being outclassed in a year. I'm in total agreement. Same with what Quadzilla says, "There are always deals on TVs and they only get better for the same money or cheaper". The problem is that, you can hold out forever if you embrace that philosophy too literally and you'll NEVER buy anything new. EXAMPLE: My current TV situation. That set I own is 8years old! It's a 51" 1080i HDTV (1080p cost about 10k back in 2003). I figured I would replace it after 5 years. 5 years came and it was still working perfectly so I held out. Then 6 years. Then 7 years. Then the 8th year dawned and I'm still holding out. Does my set still work? Yes...perfectly. But it doesn't have a single HDMI connector (they weren't available in 2003). This is a problem because, starting this year, new BD players can't be manufactured with component output, It has no ATSC tuner...and Winnipeg is finally starting to get OTA high def (which I can see on my little Samsung). Ironically, I have a state-of-the-art 7.1 sound system with an HDMI connected receiver.

So here's my situation. I have an 8 year old TV with no HDMI connectors, no digital tuner, only 1080i resolution and I can't even watch upconverted DVDs because Blu-ray players won't upconvert through component. And I have well over 1000 DVDs and 300 BDs.

I can't keep waiting for "the next new technology" ! I'm 52 years old and I've already had cancer once..."waiting" much longer isn't an attractive option:). At what point do you commit?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:33:54 am by Dexer »

CatsEye68

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 10:41:44 am »
Indeed -- in your situation I will not even attempt to sell you on the idea of waiting.

So starting from the POV that you're going to buy something, should it be that set? I personally am not crazy about the Sharp offerings. I currently have a Panasonic plasma and am very happy with it after almost 3 years. I much prefer plasma to LCD, and I like Panasonic products generally. But my room is not very bright and it would not be a good choice in a room with lots of light.

I previously had a Sony rear-projector LCD set and Sony built those sets with a defect and then made owners go thru hell to get any satisfaction from them. Based on that I have sworn off Sony -- their past reputation for quality is shredded more badly than Toyota's.

Samsungs seem to get good reviews these days, though I am wary still, having had poor experience in the past with that brand. But they seem to have improved a lot, as has LG. I would tend to consider those brands along with Toshiba if I wanted a LCD set right now.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:58:32 am »
I wouldn't buy it. Last time I checked only Samsung could handle 120Hz smoothly and noticeably different form the standard rate. The same goes about the image quality and clarity; all this is subjective and is a visual impression I got from looking at the sets side by side.
Next reason is according to the description from your link it will only play pictures and music from a USB stick while a Samsung with this option will play virtually any video in any popular HD format.
3. The price. A 55" LED Sharp costs almost half that.

But if you insist on 60"; http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper/items/3523107/Samsung-UN60C6300-60-inch-LED-UN60C6300

edit:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/60-up-led-tvs/29907.aspx?path=692f46649036394974b0246b92dbe444en01
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:14:05 am by DanYanoff »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1207
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:14 am »
I agree with CatsEye, Samsung and LG seem to have the best products these days. I'm not a big fan of Toshiba however.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 11:48:47 am »
I'm a Panasonic guy - we have 3 in the house, the main one a 50" plasma i've had for 3 years that i'm still happy with.   Panasonic Blu-ray player too.  I still believe that plasma offers the best picture.
FWIW, i had a look at what consumer reports says, and that Sharp is near the bottom of the pack. 
Here's what they have for 60" sets:

LCD's:

Samsung  LN60C630 - Overall Score 75
Samsung  UN60C6300 - Overall Score 74
Sony Bravia  KDL-60EX700 - Overall Score 67
Sharp Aquos  LC60LE810UN - Overall Score 61

Plasma:

LG Infinia  60PK950 - Overall Score 81
Samsung PN63C550 - Overall Score 81  (63")
Samsung PN58C550 - Overall Score 80  (58")
LG 60PK550 - Overall Score 78
Panasonic Viera TC-P58S2 - Overall Score 77  (58")

I stay away from LG because I haven't had any luck with their products, so if it we're my $$ i'd be looking at Samsung.
I helped my father in law buy a new set after Christmas - he wouldn't buy anything unless I did some research and told him which I thought was the best set - I told him to get a Samsung.  He of course buys a Sony because he says Sony is the best, which is what he thought 20 years ago, so its still the absolute truth   ::) .  This is an old italian man i'm dealing with here, so nothing ever changes...
Anyway, he has a shiny new TV in his basement that he can fall asleep in front of, and he's happy so thats all that matters.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:57:31 am »
I know Samsung is often the "go to" brand. I even picked out one for my aunt last year and I have a small one (22") myself.

The truth is that I've always had technical issues with every Samsung product I've owned. I'm sure it's not normal or Samsung wouldn't be so popular. But they just haven't earned the right to be high on my personal list. I had one of their early and very expensive upconverting DVD players (before high def discs were available). This was when an upconverting DVD player was $400.00. It became unusable after it began consistently "eating" DVDs when the drive spindle would raise when the disc tray was only half closed. My current 22" Samsung LCD developed a problem where it wouldn't turn on consistently...taking about 20 minutes and sometimes needling a slap. I finally decided to leave it on continuously, 24 hours a day, because I'm sure that it likely won't turn on again if I turn it off.

Again, I'm sure it's likely bad luck. But when I look at the brands available, I ask myself, "Has this brand been good to me and does it deserve to be on my short list?". Samsung has always let me down.

Sharp, is not without it's issues. I don't want to come across as a "fanboy". I will say that I'm impressed with the Japanese made X-Gen LCD panel used in the set. Sony has invested a lot with Sharp in this panel facility and it seems to get very high marks for reliability.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »
 The choices available these days are mind-boggling. Just get the best deal you can on the TV you like and go for it, waiting just makes the decision more difficult. It doesn't matter what you get, by the time you get it home it'll be yesterday's news anyway.

I've got a 42" Sony rear-projection LCD that's going into it's fifth year now and still works beautifully. It's connected to a Sony 7.1 AV receiver that does all the switching so the TV's lone HDMI port is no big deal. I also have a Sony BD player and an HD cable box that are connected to the receiver via HDMI. I've had no problems with any of my Sony gear and as long as everything keeps working I won't be replacing it anytime soon. Picture and sound quality are still awesome even though the TV's 'only' 720p. That's what matters to me and I really couldn't care less about having the latest and greatest.

I've also got a couple of smaller (32" and 27") Toshiba HD LCDs. They're decent but can't hold a candle to the Sony for pic quality.

When I'm checking out the new stuff in the stores, Samsung and Sony seem to have the best pic quality, with Samsung slightly ahead. I was really impressed with the Samsung LED models for their amazing dynamic range and lightning-quick response with no perceivable motion artifacts. If I was in the market right now, I can safely say that Samsung would be at the top of my list.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »
I'm a Panasonic guy - we have 3 in the house, the main one a 50" plasma i've had for 3 years that i'm still happy with.   Panasonic Blu-ray player too.  I still believe that plasma offers the best picture.

I agree.  I have a Panny plasma in my main home theatre room as well and I love it.  Picture quality is superb.  I also have 3 other LCDs in the house including one Samsung 240hz LED LCD.  While the picture is fantastic on the LED, the motion is not something I've gotten used to whatsoever.  It's like I'm watching a B rated Canadian show at all times.  I'll take my Panny plasma any day when it comes to viewing quality.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »
I am rather brand loyal to Panasonic products.  2 Plasmas, BR player, phone system, and a host of older stuff here and there refusing to die; generally quality sh*t.  I bought a Samsung LCD 42 for my mom.  Not the greatest.  Read that they use Chinese panels.  Who knows.  Her vision not the best, so I replaced that with an LG (Lucky Goldstar  ::)) LED 42.  At the store it appeared to me that the LED LG out did the Samsung LED.

Last August these TVs hit the market at $1200 and now are $800.    

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »
Question for the OP, what type of room will you be placing this TV in?  What's the lighting like?

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 02:33:24 pm »
The choices available these days are mind-boggling. Just get the best deal you can on the TV you like and go for it, waiting just makes the decision more difficult. ...

I've got a 42" Sony rear-projection LCD that's going into it's fifth year now and still works beautifully. It's connected to a Sony 7.1 AV receiver that does all the switching so the TV's lone HDMI port is no big deal.

...That's what matters to me and I really couldn't care less about having the latest and greatest.

... If I was in the market right now, I can safely say that Samsung would be at the top of my list.

To your first point, I agree. I think everything is basically pretty good and a lot of the choice is a matter of hair-splitting. It's not like one brand is junk and one brand is perfect. You can research things to death. Same thing with cameras... there are Nikon lovers and Canon lovers but is one really wonderful and one really awful (I own Olympus cameras which, as we know, are really the best :) )?

If my set had even a LONE HDMI port. I wouldn't be in a pickle. Like you, I run my audio in a Sony 7.1 channel receiver with HDMI so I get the HD audio formats. But that's where it stops for me. The best video I can do is 1080i for my Blu-rays and, like I said, the BD player won't upconvert over component so I don't even get basic upconversion on DVDs. My set also works beautifully but I'm on borrowed time. As it is, it's now virtually impossible to hook up any peripherals and, if I need to buy a new BD player later this year, I won't get ANY HD over component. On top of that, if studios start using the Image Constraint Token on Blu-ray Discs, even my current player won't deliver a minimal 1080i picture. I'll end up with a giant, old HDTV that only displays in Standard Definition.

I don't need the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, my set was basically obsolete four years ago. I don't need a 3D LED set with local dimming. What I do need is 1080p and HDMI ports. That's really entry level stuff these days.

And, again, I have a personal issue with Samsungs. I've had a bad Samsung camera, a bad Samsung DVD player and a bad Samsung TV. It's the "fool me once rule". It's entirely possible that I could get a Samsung set with no problems. On the other hand, if I get a bad one, whose fault is it? It would be my fault! If a company consistently fails you on multiple items and yet you STILL buy from them, you can only blame yourself when it goes bad. As mentioned, that's my experience and it would be foolish for ME to give Samsung a pass. Obviously a lot of people have entirely different experiences and, if Samsungs work for them, I have no problem with them buying a Samsung.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 02:46:47 pm »
Question for the OP, what type of room will you be placing this TV in?  What's the lighting like?

Good question.

This set will be in my living room. There is a large picture window facing East (the only window in the room). The set will be on the South wall. It's quite bright during the day. I would only use the set after 5 PM but the sun is still quite bright as it it shines on the houses across the street and that filters back into my living room.

During the evening, light control is fairly good but there is an issue with the kitchen light which can bounce of the north interior wall and be seen as a reflection in my current set.

I think this is where the particular set I'm looking at performs quite well. The 810 series has quite low reflectivity from all of the user reports I've read. The newer 820 has some cosmetic difference but uses the same LCD panel. Users tell me that the 820 uses a glass screen that is more prone to reflection not observed on the 810. On a related note, this Sharp  has an extreme angle of view. Sharp claims it to be 176 degrees. I've seen youtube videos where the screen was viewable from a very extreme angle.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 03:08:28 pm »
Sorry about your experience with Sammies. Did you check Costco? They have 2 year warranty on all Tvs and 90 days satisfaction guarantee IIRC. Another question, do you only watch dvd/bluray or also download videos?

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 03:29:44 pm »

If my set had even a LONE HDMI port. I wouldn't be in a pickle. Like you, I run my audio in a Sony 7.1 channel receiver with HDMI so I get the HD audio formats. But that's where it stops for me. The best video I can do is 1080i for my Blu-rays and, like I said, the BD player won't upconvert over component so I don't even get basic upconversion on DVDs. My set also works beautifully but I'm on borrowed time. As it is, it's now virtually impossible to hook up any peripherals and, if I need to buy a new BD player later this year, I won't get ANY HD over component. On top of that, if studios start using the Image Constraint Token on Blu-ray Discs, even my current player won't deliver a minimal 1080i picture. I'll end up with a giant, old HDTV that only displays in Standard Definition.

I don't need the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, my set was basically obsolete four years ago. I don't need a 3D LED set with local dimming. What I do need is 1080p and HDMI ports. That's really entry level stuff these days.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. If your AV receiver has enough HDMI inputs - mine has 4 - you should be able to simply connect your BD player to it with a single HDMI cable and then use the receiver to switch between video sources, no component cables required. That's how my setup works, I just use my receiver to do the switching. One HDMI connection on the TV is all that's required because I leave it's input on HDMI and have no need to use the others, including component.