Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Scion tC  (Read 13932 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Scion tC
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:05:11 am »

New to Canada for 2011, the Scion tC sporty coupe is actually a hatchback, points out Editor Greg Wilson. The tC's sporty handling and performance outshine its uninspired styling, and it's a good value starting at $20,850, he notes.

Read More...

pj

Re: Test Drive: 2011 Scion tC
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:20:36 am »
Priced right, roomy and well equipped, it's a logical choice for a sport coupe.

Unfortunely for Toyota, people who think with logic first don't buy sport coupes... they buy Camrys.

People who buy sport coupes want something special, not the Camry of coupes.

I'm guessing the few they sell will be sold to women in their 50's who want something practical with a slight dose of sportiness.

kicker

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:07:06 am »
One thing I've noticed 1/2 dozen times before but never mentioned is how well the photographers make a car look . In alot of shots they manage to make a car look alot better than it actually is .
But a profile shot can't hide anything no matter how well taken .
The tC's chunky style and proportions manage to make the 18's (45 series at that ) look a little small for the car . A major no no on a sporty car . The thing is , they are already 45's so there is no place to go if you want any sort of comfort at all .

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:57 am »
..I found these PHOTIES........too dark............is it fer the GOTH SET....or Camera settings were OFF????..............50 year olde  Laddieswant to know.... ;)......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Roy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:37 am »
I find every about this car, meh.  Except the price - good value vs the competition if you don't mind the conservativeness of this vehicle.  I agree with a few others - it comes off has an car for older folks rather than younger.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:55:48 am »
A friend of mine in Pennsylvania has the original Scion tC and he swears by it.  I am not so convinced but dollar for vehicle it seems to be a good deal.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:08 am »
I also like that Scion offers a bunch of performance parts in the catalog, including a supercharger, that won't void the warranty.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 09:31:25 am »
This is the deal of the century for Scion's target audience (aka younger folk) wanting affordable, practical performance. I had a chance to check out this car at the 2011 Detroit auto show and came away thoroughly impressed. The seats are aggressively bolstered and offer great support. The seating position is low but easy to get comfortable, and the steering wheel sitting in front of you is a thick meaty drivers-inspired thing, even featuring the cutoff bottom that makes entry/exit of the vehicle easier. Of course it has an excellent sound system (stock) with upgradable head units from the Scion dealership, or an easy swap-out for any unit in the aftermarket. To top it off, the torquey 2.5L, 180 horsepower engine isn't a slouch - mid-7's is plenty quick to 60. The mileage is good, and reliability is also likely to be tops. If I was shopping right now, this would be on my must-drive list.

The 'rumbly exhaust' noted by the editor was likely the optional TRD exhaust, which in fact does improve performance due to lower restriction. Paired with the also-dealer-available TRD cold-air intake, it opens up the breathing and would likely add 10 hp overall. Greddy showcased a turbo kit at SEMA that would offer another 100-150 hp, not bad.

John MacDonald

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:46 am »
"Both the Civic Si and Genesis coupe use Premium fuel while the others use Regular."

Just a note that the Genesis Coupe does not require premium fuel.  I'm not sure if any Hyundai require premium fuel and that's one of their selling points.

To me this vehicle is a great car for the value.  Sure the design isn't going to win any awards and the power train isn't going to win any races stock.  But the variety of options and the addition of performance parts (not just exhaust and intakes but possible turbo/supercharger upgrades) makes it a great option for a young "tuner" who wants a car that they can customize and still keep the warranty intact.  Historicially this vehicle has been very reliable.  I hear though that Scion will only be available in a few markets and therefore it will limit the exposure to the masses.  I live in NB and I doubt we'll see any Scion dealer in the near future.  I would consider buying one if I can get warranty work done at my local Toyota dealer but if that's not an option then I'll look elsewhere.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:51 am »
I find the "chunky" look rather refreshing in a sea of overly styled coupes, especially the Genesis coupe, which I personally think is just plain ugly.  The added practicality of a hatch that doesn't look like a hatch is inovative.  I think it should appeal to the more active set, male or female of any age.   And what is the big deal about shift paddles?   A manual shifting gate at least simulates shifting manually.  We're not talking about playing a video game or texting.

Good for Scion for daring to be different!

hemusbull

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:14:41 am »
Perversion - Scion tC is a "Camry of coupes" however I think Solara is much more exciting even as a Coupe of Camrys!
And here is the weakest point of tC, IMO - the bland exterrior design. Otherwise seems it has good mechanics, interior is ok as well. The outside look can not compete with any coupe from the bunch mentioned in the article! Scion should take it seriously as their own division Lexus did at the beginning years - they hired at that time Giugiaro to make inspiring, non-Mercedes looking 1993 GS.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:42:45 am »
In order to report this car does less than 2,000 RPM at 100 kmh Greg Wilson must have actually driven the car at 100 kmh.

Thanks Greg, that is useful information for the tiny minority for whom 100 kmh still has some significance.

As regards the 2.5 engine/ 6 speed transmission combo in general, you have to ask why the old 2.4 engines with 4 and 5 speed transmissions are still in production for other models.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »
A bit of a yawner. Thing about these entry level sports car is, in my experience, they sort of end up feeling "not quite". Not quite powerful enough to really push you into your seat when you boot it. Not quite enough handling and grip to let you really go around a corner at pee your pants speeds, but usually are quite hard enough to make bumpy roads uncomfortable. All at the same time being not quite luxurious enough to be really enjoyable just being inside. While outside, not quite a work of art either.

Overall, I think if someone buying their first car ask me about this car. I'd say if you must but it might be better to just buy a cheaper one for now and when you can afford it get something truly fun.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 12:05:55 pm »
A bit of a yawner. Thing about these entry level sports car is, in my experience, they sort of end up feeling "not quite". Not quite powerful enough to really push you into your seat when you boot it. Not quite enough handling and grip to let you really go around a corner at pee your pants speeds, but usually are quite hard enough to make bumpy roads uncomfortable. All at the same time being not quite luxurious enough to be really enjoyable just being inside. While outside, not quite a work of art either.

Overall, I think if someone buying their first car ask me about this car. I'd say if you must but it might be better to just buy a cheaper one for now and when you can afford it get something truly fun.

You just summed up my Cobalt SS (2.4L).  That is why I dumped it early

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:17:56 pm »
..has a wee bit O' the GTR in it......if ya squint,and sniff an Onion............. :'( :'( :'( :'(....Scion Of a Biatch is it tuneable!!!!!..maybe make a wee drifter happy...or a homeless guy.......... ;D

hatchbackback

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »
nice but i kindda wish scion just deleted the "stick" antenna and just opted for one similar to the civic (integrated in the glass)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »
It's a bit late to the Canadian market to steal the sales. Over the past year and with the upcoming 2012 models there is a lot to choose from in the segment. If I were shopping in this category, I'd definitely wait for Focus and Veloster, both can be had with modern DI engines and DCT transmissions which (the latter) are a must to get 100% from a small engine and if you don't care for the third pedal.
I didn't drive the tC but set in one at the dealer's. I liked the low and comfortable seating position with lots of adjustments, seats, interior quality (especially among other plastic crap Toyota is known for lately), and the styling. I loved that fat sporty steering wheel, wide doors and a huge hatch opening. Another big + IMO the car is made in Japan which should translate in higher reliability and resale values. I give Toyota a big  :thumbup: for giving a shot of caffeine to their lineup.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 01:45:43 pm »

You know, most people actually have to drive to work on public roads and don't have a road course in their back yard. Yes an SRT8 or 5.0 might be more fun but the operating costs of those cars puts them out of most commuter or student shopping lists. Big power = big fuel, and because you can only drive a little over the speed limit without losing your license anyway it's really a moot point. I drive an older Mazda and pass more powerful cars on the road all the time - I'm getting 10-50% better fuel economy and we're on the same road going the same speed.

IMO, hot hatches and compact sports cars are the best combination of power and practicality, that's why just about every mag praises the GTI as one of 'the best' cars, extant. It doesn't throw you into your seat, but it also fits 4 people comfortably, gets 33mpg highway and costs under $30K. To me, the Tc is like an entry-level GTI - not quite at the same level of refinement or power but also significantly cheaper.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:22 pm »
If I recall correctly, the tC is based on the Avensis platform, which explains the good handling characteristics...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 04:28:38 pm »

Entry level sports cars/hot hatches would be a good thing and probably better sellers if the manufacturers were allowed to persuade the Insurance companies into giving discounts for young drivers for these cars. Sadly that is not allowed in Ontario... probably not allowed anywhere any more. Back in the '60s in the UK Triumph got the Spitfire off to a good start by making it possible for 20 year olds to insure one.

A good alternative would be for the manufacturers to sponsor  one make racing series... pump up the tires, wear a crash helmet and be able to keep your warranty. IIRC the lowest level of Showroom stock was like that. ( Anyone who knows, I welcome correction)

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.