Author Topic: Work from home  (Read 2419 times)

vdk

Work from home
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:00:41 pm »
Due to some workspace issues we have at work - our department was asked to work from home as much as possible, about 4 days per week.

I know most people would absolutely love the idea, I hate it. I can't stand sitting in the house alone the whole day, it drives me crazy.

I was thinking of going to a library, and even a coffee shop as a last resort. Any other ideas?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Work from home
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:08:43 pm »
They paying for your Internet?  They should be ;)

I don't know, after awhile I get antsy to talk to people too.  I talk to my cat, watch tv etc haha

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:12:37 pm »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:29:27 pm »
I work from home full time and I absolutely LOVE it!!  I couldn't imagine going back into an office.  Working from home has so many advantages (or at least it does for me).  It allows me to spend more time on my detailing business as well. 

There are tons of wifi hot spots you can choose from if you don't want to be home all the time.  Cafes, libraries, malls, restaurants, etc. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:53:27 pm »
Some people love it, others hate it.

If you hate the alone-ness, your best bet is to do as much as you can from home, then go to a coffee shop or such for a while.

Me, I think I'd love it, but you really need a dedicated place at home to do your work.  There are 3 places at home that I can do work, anywhere else just feels like dabbling and I'm not very productive.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »
Any other ideas?

Strip club.

My laptop won't stay horizontal..................... :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Leviathan

Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:37:00 pm »
I was thinking of going to a library, and even a coffee shop as a last resort. Any other ideas?
Community centres, local hockey arena if you can tether to your phone.

I've been working at home quite a bit lately and even a misanthrope like me likes to get out now and then.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »
I know most people would absolutely love the idea, I hate it. I can't stand sitting in the house alone the whole day, it drives me crazy.

Same here, and I turned down the seemingly generous "offer."  First off, not everyone lives in a home with extra bedrooms or space for an actual working office.  I have a den, but that's my personal domain.  There was no way I was going to move the entire contents of my office workspace into there.  When it's visible, it's a constant reminder of work.  Been there, having been a sales rep many years ago.  Second, I live alone, and I like going to an office every day to interact with other people.  And to the first point, once I leave, I'm done.  They were all quite surprised when I balked, as to them it was almost mandatory (except for the managers, who are required to stay in the building).  My colleagues all did it, and love it.

As for you getting out and about, keep in mind that corporate information is private.  Posting on CTC while you're at Starbucks is one thing, but sending emails and working on documents that relate to your company's affairs while in a public place (and on public WiFi without a VPN) may not be a good idea.  A library is probably a better option, but even then...  

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:27 pm »
I don't like working at home for the opposite reason, my son is too much of a distraction. I usually go to the library. Depends on what work you do, I get tons of work done at home.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »
I don't like working at home for the opposite reason, my son is too much of a distraction. I usually go to the library. Depends on what work you do, I get tons of work done at home.

Same here.  I am much more productive at home than I ever was in the office.  I don't have the constant distractions at home that I did when I worked in an office.  Plus, I am able to clean the house, do the laundry, and make all of the meals as well, which in turn leads to more family time for me during the evenings and weekends. 

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 07:33:05 pm »
I think depending on the situation... working from home would be great. But I know what you mean. Living alone you go to work to see people and interact. I've even adjusted from working in a group office environment to myself in my own office - I LOVE having the office and hunkering down to get work done but I usually "come up for air" and go have a chat with someone who has also come up for air. It's a miracle that I can sometimes consume myself for up to a couple of hours without social interaction :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »
I've worked from home a few times, mostly when one of the kids is sick.  I can usually get 5 to 10 times as much done at home, because there are fewer interruptions, but when I want to scan a 36 page document, I have to wait till I'm back in the office, or it takes forever.  Some things don't work as well, but 80 percent of the job goes faster.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 09:25:44 pm »
I often work at home (in addition to working long hours in an office setting).  I'd rather not work at home because 'home' is psychologically where I want to relax, and I don't have all my work files with me.  But long hours are the nature of my job, so I have to find a way to make it work at home too.

I prefer a dedicated room - or part of a room that you can semi-separate visually - where I can work, so that I can concentrate without distraction for a few hours.  Then I have to get out somewhere.  So my second option will be to go to Chapters and sit in their Starbucks.  I only take light work there though (reading I have to do, etc.)  My more difficult / complex work is at home where I have all my stuff near-by.

What I found is that the best way to make it work (for me) is to arrange your space at home to be as work-convenient and comfortable-feeling as possible.  The things you need are nearby, it's clean and organized, you have a nice, spacious-enough working area, you spend a little more to get a nice, comfortable chair, etc.  Working sucks so might as well try and make it as comfortable as possible.  Right now I am not using the spare bedroom and am just using the kitchen table, which is not ideal, but I've got what I need nearby and I keep it tidy.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 06:20:50 am »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 08:07:08 am »
I have had an office in the house for 20 years
One of the worst things work out of the house is everyone else thinks you can drop what ever you are doing and go help them
If you going to work for your home get a good chair and table

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:56 am »
I work from home time to time.  One thing I found is if you have kids, have a room where it is off limits to them and you can possibly lock them out.  Another is get a phone with a mute feature for your conference calls.  Dogs barking or kids crying in the background doesn't add any value to the calls.  It is good to go into the office once a while to let people and management know you exist (if you're not self-employed). 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »
 ::)..or to boink the secretary................... :shuffle: :run:

vdk

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
Thanks for your input ladies and gents.

I have been thinking about it, and there is no option for me but to stay home. I'm on the phone a couple of hours per day - and I'd rather not do that in a coffee shop/library.

I will probably team up with a friend who also works from home, and we will keep each other company. :)

Now.. let's look for a good chair and a corded phone. ;D

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 03:01:34 am »
::)..or to boink the secretary................... :shuffle: :run:

:cheers: