Author Topic: Rubbery steering on 2011 Hyundai Sonata  (Read 6846 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Rubbery steering on 2011 Hyundai Sonata
« on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:09 am »
There was this comment in a old 3 day test of the Sonata in mid 2010 about steering

Quote from day 3 test drive.
Steering feel on straight roads leaves a lot to be desired, however. It feels like a rubber band on-center and as a result there’s a delay to the car’s responses that, until you’re accustomed to it, has you correcting and then overcorrecting as it takes longer than you expect for the vehicle to do what you ask.

This problem concerns me. I recently saw a video on Drving Television for the Kia Sportage. It seems to share same problem.

http://www.drivingtelevision.tv/?cid=934&brand=Kia

In this video the reviewer Zack describes the steering problem quite well. He states that there is no feel for where true center is so you are constantly correcting from left to right going down the highway. The lack of a feel where true center is results in the driver is overcorrecting all the time. I suspect his comments about Sportage steering apply to Sonata as well. I sure the same technology is share between these new Kia & Sonata products.

Not a good thing. Plan to test drive one in our hunt for another car in March and I will be focusing on this issue.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Rubbery steering on 2011 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:43:09 am »
You've answered your own question - drive one and see what you think.  I didn't find the steering on the 2.4 to be rubbery, though it certainly was "light" with not a lot of steering feel.  Though not out of character in the midsize family sedan class by any stretch.  This car isn't a sports sedan and doesn't pretend to be. The turbo has a higher-effort, less-boosted steering feel that I defiitely preferred.  Along with the serious pull from that torquey motor.

I wouldn't let comments about the steering in the Sportage worry you too much - very different vehicles.  In fact, since you dug up Zack's video review on that car, wouldn't it be more informative for you to dig up his video review on the Sonata?  He quite liked it. And there are about a bazillion other reviews out there on the Sonata - so no need to latch upon just one or two.  The overly light steering has been commented upon by more than one, for sure - but the Sonata has consistently received very good reviews overall.

And if you're buying in March, there's no reason you can't start hunting now and find the answers to your questions first hand.  Sonata Turbo and Passat CC are currently at the top of my list.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:37:49 am »
The steering characteristics bothered me quite a bit on the Sonata. I've read the Kia Optima's steering is significantly tighter and I'd be interested in sampling myself.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:47 am »
Yup the Sonata steering was weird on center.  Interestingly I had no issue with the sportage.... or tucson...

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 11:59:17 am »
It's no worse than a Camry. And on the Limited that I test drove felt only slightly less tight than the Passat (this is on 17 inch wheels). And actually it gripped better that the passat on applying throttle out of a right turn.

So anyhow maybe when you go you should consider trying the ones with the 16 inch wheels and the ones with the 17 inchers.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:35:40 pm »
Steering feel on straight roads leaves a lot to be desired, however. It feels like a rubber band on-center and as a result there’s a delay to the car’s responses that, until you’re accustomed to it, has you correcting and then overcorrecting as it takes longer than you expect for the vehicle to do what you ask.

I noticed no such delays or overcorrecting. My only issue with the Sonata steering is that on sloped roads, e.g. left lane on most highways, you need to pull the wheel fairly strong to the right to make the car go straight. You get used to it, but it is different from other cars I drove.
I have no idea if it is the case with sportage, but in the '11 Sorento the steering feels perfect as IIRC it remains to be hydrolic.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:51:56 pm »
It's no worse than a Camry. And on the Limited that I test drove felt only slightly less tight than the Passat (this is on 17 inch wheels). And actually it gripped better that the passat on applying throttle out of a right turn.

That was my impression as well - it's not any worse than other vehicles in its class - a great many of which I drove at around the same time while shopping.

Yup the Sonata steering was weird on center.  Interestingly I had no issue with the sportage.... or tucson...

Have you driven the turbo?  Very different steering feel.

Jaeger

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:06 pm »
..so half found problems with "vague" non self centering steering......WHY.......and half did not........WHY ?...............well scratch my balls and ponder............. :think: :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:44:56 pm »
That rubbery feeling has something to do with the Sonata's new electric steering.  Since it came out, numerous owners have complained about the vague steering feel.

I was talking to a guy who bought a 2011 2.4 last week and he said the same thing about his Sonata.  These days, he doesn't have a lot of love for Hyundai.  A few days after he bought the Sonata, the car started pulling to the left on the highway.  He went to the dealership 3 times and they finally called an "engineer" at Hyundai Canada.  He told him that it was a common issue and it was how the car handled.  On his first visit, the stealership blamed his new winter tires.  He had to change the tires himself to prove to them it wasn't the problem.  He asked if there was a recall or a TSB ... they said no.  He found a TSB for this problem on the web later that day (US=Canada?).

I don't think his next vehicle will be a Hyundai.   ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »
That rubbery feeling has something to do with the Sonata's new electric steering.  Since it came out, numerous owners have complained about the vague steering feel.

I was talking to a guy who bought a 2011 2.4 last week and he said the same thing about his Sonata.  These days, he doesn't have a lot of love for Hyundai.  A few days after he bought the Sonata, the car started pulling to the left on the highway.  He went to the dealership 3 times and they finally called an "engineer" at Hyundai Canada.  He told him that it was a common issue and it was how the car handled.  On his first visit, the stealership blamed his new winter tires.  He had to change the tires himself to prove to them it wasn't the problem.  He asked if there was a recall or a TSB ... they said no.  He found a TSB for this problem on the web later that day (US=Canada?).

So what's the TSB # ? Did he have it fixed?

UmroAyyar

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:17:42 pm »
I have been driving the 2011 Sonata for about two weeks.

The steering is completely effort-free, even more lighter than the Camry. This is more a case at low speeds than highway speeds.

The car is great in road manners, quality materials, power delivery on the highway.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 01:18:49 am »

So what's the TSB # ? Did he have it fixed?

TSB: 10-SS-008-01 ... according to him.  Never looked it up.  I didn't speak to him since.  Hopefully, his new car was fixed.

Cam

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 09:46:47 am »
These days, he doesn't have a lot of love for Hyundai.  A few days after he bought the Sonata, the car started pulling to the left on the highway.  He went to the dealership 3 times and they finally called an "engineer" at Hyundai Canada.  He told him that it was a common issue and it was how the car handled.  On his first visit, the stealership blamed his new winter tires.  He had to change the tires himself to prove to them it wasn't the problem.  He asked if there was a recall or a TSB ... they said no.  He found a TSB for this problem on the web later that day (US=Canada?).
  There is no doubt that Hyundai's march to market domination will have to include a dealer upgrade.  It's almost as if the people who want to be car dealers, but can't afford a major franchise ended up with a Hyundai dealership.  Now that the brand is moving on up, the brand challenge is to upgrade the distribution network along with the product....

CatsEye68

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:39:44 am »
These days, he doesn't have a lot of love for Hyundai.  A few days after he bought the Sonata, the car started pulling to the left on the highway.  He went to the dealership 3 times and they finally called an "engineer" at Hyundai Canada.  He told him that it was a common issue and it was how the car handled.  On his first visit, the stealership blamed his new winter tires.  He had to change the tires himself to prove to them it wasn't the problem.  He asked if there was a recall or a TSB ... they said no.  He found a TSB for this problem on the web later that day (US=Canada?).

It should be no surprise that one gets what they pay for.

There is no doubt that Hyundai's march to market domination will have to include a dealer upgrade.  It's almost as if the people who want to be car dealers, but can't afford a major franchise ended up with a Hyundai dealership.  Now that the brand is moving on up, the brand challenge is to upgrade the distribution network along with the product....

"Market domination"?  ???

"Ve haf no designs to annex the Sudenteland..."    :))