Author Topic: Thinking of asking for help on the Jeep forum? Think again.  (Read 1384 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Thinking of asking for help on the Jeep forum? Think again.
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:34 pm »
So, my boyfriend bought a '96 Cherokee (XJ) SE, for way too much, like around $3,000. It broke down and he has put another $2,500 in it and totally rebuilt the engine and did a lot of after market work on it. He has and will do all the labor himself, he refuses to pay for labor. Now, he finds out that the motor needs to be taken back out and fixed again and is looking at another $700. I said he should just sell it and wipe his hands clean, he says he won't make enough.

Firstly, what is your guys' opinion on what he should do? Secondly, how much do you think he could make parting it versus just the whole car as is?

Thanks for your guys' opinions!

"You want my opinion? Ok…

Shut the hell up. You’re not his wife. You’re not paying for the repairs. It’s absolutely none of your business what he does with his Jeep or his money. I know your type well… first it’s “Sell the Jeep because it’s costing too much money.” Then it’s “No, you can’t go spend the weekend with your buddies because I need you to take me shopping.” Then it’s “Oh gee, honey… I’m pregnant. Gosh, I have no idea how that happened.”

You’re a DreamKiller. You kill a guy’s dreams, take away his future, tie him down with a fat mortgage and too many babies, and turn him into just another miserable guy wondering, “How the hell did I get here?”

Do you really want to help him? Here’s what you do… go to your local library (it’s a big building with books inside) and check out a couple of books on rebuilding engines. Read them, over and over, until YOU understand what needs to be done. Then help him get that engine out and rebuild it. Tie your hair back in a ponytail, put on some old jeans and get your hands dirty. Hand him wrenches, hold the light, pull the wire connectors apart, help him get the hood off… help him with anything he needs. When he gets tired, run inside and make him a hot lunch or dinner. Fix him coffee, hot chocolate, whatever he wants. (But NO beer. Beer is for when the job is done.)

Then when the day is over and you’re both exhausted from working on the engine, push him into a hot shower and jump in with him. Scrub his back, wash his hair, rinse him off, and dry him with fluffy towels still hot from the dryer. Then push him into bed and screw his ears off. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

Make him realize that rebuilding an engine is a slow and methodical process. Make him realize that every step should be regarded as surgery; every step must be perfect… perfect torque, perfect fit, perfectly clean. If you run into a step that you just can’t figure out, ask for help from someone who knows what he’s doing. Are you cute? Put on a low-cut top, show some cleavage and go (by yourself) to the local Jeep shop, and explain to the guys that you are helping your boyfriend to rebuild his engine and neither of you can figure out this one little step, and do they have any advice…

Think it won’t work? Think again. We guys love to help cute girls, even if they have a boyfriend. (Hey, maybe you’ve got a sister, or girlfriend…)

But absolutely DO NOT whine or complain. Do not say a single negative thing. Not a single “Oooooo, I broke a nail.” If you break a nail, or cut your finger, or bang a knuckle, you just shut up and DEAL WITH IT. You should be a hopelessly optomistic, never-say-die cheerleader, encouraging him every step of the way.

That’s my opinion."

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/96-jeep-cherokee-need-opinions-1149721/

:rofl:  No wonder it was her last post. LMAO
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of asking for help on the Jeep forum? Think again.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »
Holy crap...did I type that??   ;D 

I'm the luckiest guy ever as IQ behaves in exactly the same way that guy is telling her to act.  IQ has been in the garage with me working on my car (and her car!) so many times I can't keep track.  Never a complaint..always a smile and always having a good time.  Her teeny hands are also helpful for getting into tight spaces.  It's a really great time for both of us goofing off in the garage with our cars.  Plus she helps out at the race track.  One time at the track, the showers were broken and we needed to shower as the temps were in the 90s.  So we went to a spray car wash.  She stripped down bare naked and I hosed her off!  Then she did the same to me.  Awesome!!   ;D

Doing something you love is a million time better when you're doing it with someone you love.  Doesn't matter if it's cars, hiking, skiing, whatever.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:47:36 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:09:17 am »
I like the fact that she mentions her boyfriend, the response says 'you're his wife'.

Okay, buddy, with reading comprehension skills like that, no wonder you have such a low opinion of other people.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Ed

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:09 am »
I like the fact that she mentions her boyfriend, the response says 'you're his wife'.

Okay, buddy, with reading comprehension skills like that, no wonder you have such a low opinion of other people.

Actually, he says "You're NOT his wife".  :P

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:52 am »
HILarious.

you are one lucky dog, RR!!

btw, i don't mind my gf not helping out.  would be nice, but not every one of us is so lucky/fortunate, and that's fine with me.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:57:18 am »
Rrocket didya use the Pink Foamy stuff 1st...then the gentle rinse followed by the Full BLAST and then WAX..I bet the fur flew!!!....and how many toonies did she use on YOU......................and is yer pecker still intact   :hide:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
HILarious.

you are one lucky dog, RR!!

btw, i don't mind my gf not helping out.  would be nice, but not every one of us is so lucky/fortunate, and that's fine with me.

I agree, as long as she lets me work on the car, I don't care if she is not interested.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:11 am »
My better half once helped me rebuild an Audi head on HER kitchen table.  She liked lapping in valves.

She also says its fine if I bring home more bikes and cars, she wants an old red Ducati for the living room.

;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:43:38 am »
Rrocket didya use the Pink Foamy stuff 1st...then the gentle rinse followed by the Full BLAST and then WAX..I bet the fur flew!!!....and how many toonies did she use on YOU......................and is yer pecker still intact   :hide:

It definitely wasn't gentle. Even without pulling the trigger on the sprayer it still hurt.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 07:37:41 pm »
You know the guy has a point. Being supportive and potentially spending some quality time might have been a better use of her energy than complaining on an internet forum about her boyfriend. I figure balance is good... obviously he has a passion... he should encourage whatever her passion is too. So long as it isn't complaining about her boyfriend online.

But then I'm just too practical :)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »

Irony at it's best.  :rofl: