Author Topic: Who says you can't beat ESP?  (Read 1019 times)

vdk

Who says you can't beat ESP?
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »
All this talk about sporty cars with no option to disable ESP completely.

Well who cares, the other night, on a closed course, I drifted in the snow with the ESP on... Rather easily, I was surprised the ESP didn't intervene. Turn, lift off, and you're sideways. Quite fun, makes me appreciate Subies that little bit more. ;D

Moral of the story, if you can't go sideways with the ESP on, you're not trying hard enough.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Who says you can't beat ESP?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »
All this talk about sporty cars with no option to disable ESP completely.

Well who cares, the other night, on a closed course, I drifted in the snow with the ESP on... Rather easily, I was surprised the ESP didn't intervene. Turn, lift off, and you're sideways. Quite fun, makes me appreciate Subies that little bit more. ;D

Moral of the story, if you can't go sideways with the ESP on, you're not trying hard enough.

I do this all the time in the snow, it lets the back end kick out, then brakes the right wheels and catches it.  Makes you look like a great driver if the passenger doesn't know what's going on.  ;D
The first time I played with it in a parking lot I thought it too restrictive and intervened too much, then I switched it off and spun it into a snowbank within 10 seconds.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »
The G8 "stabilitrack" is similar, it allows a couple feet of rear end hang and then ends the party. I am surprised how effective it is. When I really want to hang out some serious ass I have to turn it off. ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:29:43 pm »
You still can't drive sideways for an appreciable amount of time with it on.  Yes usually you can get a little slip angle, but I like to just keep going :)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »
In my WRX I can really tell the difference in a slippery lot with it on or off.
Sure I can still make it drift with it on but the power shutoff feature really limits your fun.
I live on a dead end street and they don't really plow it so I can still do donuts with it on there but there so much better with it off.
Realistically if you can break all 4 wheels there isn't much that VDC can do.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »
....ESP........Extra Sensual Perigrinations................I'm channeling Cam V-Tec DIAZ.............. :skid:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

vdk

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »
Is there a point where ESP just gives up? I had the feeling it gave up when it happened.

Realistically if you can break all 4 wheels there isn't much that VDC can do.

Yeah. I think that's what happened.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:47:40 pm by vdk »

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:51:49 pm »
Is there a point where ESP just gives up? I had the feeling it gave up when it happened.

Well it is just dumb software. It uses the censored to determine the intended vector of the vehicle, if it detects that the vehicle not on its intended path it tries to compensate it back on coarse. Eventually say in a 360 spine the intended vector might have been lost but my experience is that it will keep trying to correct the direction.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »
Often the ESP will throttle back the rpm so you can't continue.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:30 pm »
All depends on the programming.  The ASR/ESP program in our Mercedes E300 was ridiculous in how fast it intervened.  It had an "off" setting which was NOT off, but instead just more forgiving.  In our C36, the same ASR/ESP in the off position allowed hoonage, but eventually cracked down on you.  Subaru tunes theirs to allow the AWD to work, and while I despised the idea of a Subaru AWD with some version of electronic traction/yaw control, it seems to work well.