Author Topic: Of the mind now VW might have had it right  (Read 3279 times)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
Of the mind now VW might have had it right
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:07 am »
So after a few months (almost needing an oil change soon) of driving my 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 I have some thoughts. There really isn't much point to 263 hp on public roads. I have rarely really had my car in WOT even on on ramps.

While the odd chance I get to actually go WOT on an on ramp is thrilling. More often then not I find myself having to slow down or brake hard because 1) Most drivers only check their mirrors once before switching lanes thus not checking closing speeds, resulting in me needing to brake 2) People will just merge without considering if they are cutting people off. So even where I wanted to make the 3 seconds or so 50 to 100 run on the on ramps I have rarely been able to do so without somehow fearing for my life.

I can see how the 230 (according to inside line dyno the GTI puts down 200 so it's about 230 at the crank) hp in the VW GTI is a good balance. It's just about as quick as the speed 3 doing 50 to 100 and having the option of the DSG would mean not needing to wake up early on sunday to move my car so my sister can get out.

Anyhow just my two cents. I think in the end I am happy with my car. Couldn't get the same features for the same price anywhere else. However, the biggest reason to get such a car the ponies under the hood is often reined back from being used properly. i guess if I really want to play with my car I'll need to look into track days.

For my next vehicle I think I'll aim at something a bit more tamed. Seeing as I like fast capable car but I don't want to continue to feel guilty about driving a contributor to global warming.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Of the mind now VW might have had it right
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:53:24 am »
I hear you about the power.  Every car I have owned has been faster then the last and I noticed at one point how much more fun I had in some of my slower cars rowing through the gears getting up to speed on the highway.

I think part of your problem though is the FWD too.  It is hard to use all that power with breaking the tires loose at low speeds or torque steering at higher speeds.  That is the one and only reason I didn't check out the MS3 when I bought my car because like you said, feature per dollar it could not be matched.

I go WOT a few times a day (first and second gear mostly) because I do not have to worry about loosing traction.

I feel you can use/play with more power when you go RWD (drifts!) or AWD.

vdk

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
I hear you about the power.  Every car I have owned has been faster then the last and I noticed at one point how much more fun I had in some of my slower cars rowing through the gears getting up to speed on the highway.

I think part of your problem though is the FWD too.  It is hard to use all that power with breaking the tires loose at low speeds or torque steering at higher speeds.  That is the one and only reason I didn't check out the MS3 when I bought my car because like you said, feature per dollar it could not be matched.

I go WOT a few times a day (first and second gear mostly) because I do not have to worry about loosing traction.

I feel you can use/play with more power when you go RWD (drifts!) or AWD.

That's my issue...

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:40:46 pm »
My issue is really people getting in the way rather than traction.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:42:58 pm »
My issue is really people getting in the way rather than traction.

Where in the GTA are you?  When I was in Markham I could go a bit northeast and get on some open country roads and now in Oakville I can go north a bit to do the same. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:57:27 pm »
Definitely understand the feeling.  You really need to seek out the country roads or low traffic highway times to really get the car moving.  It just won't happen on the average commute.  Best you can do is leave the car in a low gear to at least get the revs up...

Truth be told, I rarely get out to those country roads and thus rarely actually use much of the power of my car.  I don't really mind, as I still love having the power and especially the AWD - but I do question whether I'd actually 'need' a Stage1 tune (fortunately that decision won't likely be rooted in any logic).

In your case, and from the test drives I did last year, I'd certainly prefer the GTI to the MS3.  Yes, the Mazda has more power - but in a FWD car that I'd spend 99% of my time simply 'commuting' in, I'd rather have the features of the GTI.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »
Yep.  It depends.  I had 640HP, and to me sometimes it wasn't enough (sick, I know).  But depending where you are you can let it go safely every now and again.

My 330HP IS350 feels like a slow turd.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 07:55:37 pm »
640hp??? And 300+ is slow?! :)

What did you have that had 640hp?

Yea..when going from 640 to 330...yea, it's slow.  It's a disease...

Here's a pic, courtesy of TurboBob

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:34 pm »
The car was shipped to a buyer in Greece.  Now the car is likely being sold for pennies with the financial turmoil in Greece.... :'(

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:09 pm »
The car was shipped to a buyer in Greece.  Now the car is likely being sold for pennies with the financial turmoil in Greece.... :'(
You should be able to purchase it back then for pennies, no?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »
You should be able to purchase it back then for pennies, no?
Railton
I have no idea what the laws are after you export a car if you can re-import it.  Don't even know if he still has it...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:47:05 pm »
Too bad I didn't get to see your Supra rrocket, she looks great.

This thread reminds me of Helidriver's "How much is enough [power]?" thread. 

I only use a fraction of my car's power and I hear ya, it's frustrating to have to brake after you just pressed the gas  :P.  I think the biggest reason why I still like the power I have (but don't use) is the low-end torque (which is fun in day in day).

MS3 is a great car, but if you want to change down the road, you want to change...  And if you might want a GTI later, it'll just be a better car after the bugs of the first years (including any double clutch ones) will have been ironed out...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:51:15 pm »
For day to day driving I'm not surprised that you haven't gone WOT.  Heck, my car had 130 hp when brand new and I very rarely go WOT.  There just isn't the chance. 

The only time I really wish I had more power is when passing on a two lane highway.  It would make things a lot less stressful.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE driving a car with more power but on a day to day basis there's no need.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:56:37 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:18 pm »
So after a few months (almost needing an oil change soon) of driving my 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 I have some thoughts. There really isn't much point to 263 hp on public roads. I have rarely really had my car in WOT even on on ramps.

While the odd chance I get to actually go WOT on an on ramp is thrilling. More often then not I find myself having to slow down or brake hard because 1) Most drivers only check their mirrors once before switching lanes thus not checking closing speeds, resulting in me needing to brake 2) People will just merge without considering if they are cutting people off. So even where I wanted to make the 3 seconds or so 50 to 100 run on the on ramps I have rarely been able to do so without somehow fearing for my life.

I can see how the 230 (according to inside line dyno the GTI puts down 200 so it's about 230 at the crank) hp in the VW GTI is a good balance. It's just about as quick as the speed 3 doing 50 to 100 and having the option of the DSG would mean not needing to wake up early on sunday to move my car so my sister can get out.

Anyhow just my two cents. I think in the end I am happy with my car. Couldn't get the same features for the same price anywhere else. However, the biggest reason to get such a car the ponies under the hood is often reined back from being used properly. i guess if I really want to play with my car I'll need to look into track days.

For my next vehicle I think I'll aim at something a bit more tamed. Seeing as I like fast capable car but I don't want to continue to feel guilty about driving a contributor to global warming.

I had the same choices when I purchased my GTI 2.5 years ago.  How much power is enough.  To be honest I used to drive a RSX with no torque so the GTI was a big step up for me.  I'm also at the stage in my life where Hp numbers don't impress me as much as soft materials, nice handling and a nice ride when I'm dropping the kids off to school.  One thing that also pushed me towards the GTI was the styling.  MS3 was too boy racer for the Oakville streets.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:27:16 pm »
  MS3 was too boy racer for the Oakville streets.

What's so special about Oakville streets?  I mean apart from the rich snobs in it.... ;D

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:52 pm »
For day to day driving I'm not surprised that you haven't gone WOT.  Heck, my car had 130 hp when brand new and I very rarely go WOT.  There just isn't the chance. 

The only time I really wish I had more power is when passing on a two lane highway.  It would make things a lot less stressful.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE driving a car with more power but on a day to day basis there's no need.

Well passing is one of those rare occasion where it's great to have the power. Drop one or 2 cogs and weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

As for the MS3 being too boy racer. That's the reason one of my friend ruled it out and got a 323i (although I think he just likes having the badge at a time when he was single LOL). For me though I am not big on how a car looks as long as it's not an Aztec or PT Cruiser I am usually ok. When I first got the car it was a bit rough getting used to it. It really felt like it was always "go go go" which made you always want to go a bit faster. Now that I am used to it it's not too bad at all. I don't feel boy racer. I don't race people on the street. I think sometimes these things is more in the mind of the person. Most people I know don't realize I don't have a bog standard mazda 3. Till they get a ride with me on the on ramps at night or other low traffic times :).

vdk

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 11:19:24 pm »
Ah.. Boys in BMWs are always up my ass trying to race or some :censor:. If you drive a hot hatch apparently you need to put up with that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 11:25:02 pm »
Ah.. Boys in BMWs are always up my ass trying to race or some :censor:. If you drive a hot hatch apparently you need to put up with that.

Oh I know all about those ass-hats!!  I think I got bothered to race more by BMWs than kids in their Hondas.  The BMW pack seemed to think their cars were invincible!  I once saw a 3 Series trying to race a Z06!!

My first "big" race in the Supra was vs. a V10 M5.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »

I see a lot of 323s or IS 250s around Yonge and finch or Markham that zip in and out of traffic. Sometimes when I see them coming in the mirror I speed up to the next slow polk in the next lane and match speed. Just for fun of seeing them change lanes left and right but no way pass.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:51 am »

I had the same choices when I purchased my GTI 2.5 years ago.  How much power is enough.  To be honest I used to drive a RSX with no torque so the GTI was a big step up for me.  I'm also at the stage in my life where Hp numbers don't impress me as much as soft materials, nice handling and a nice ride when I'm dropping the kids off to school.  One thing that also pushed me towards the GTI was the styling.  MS3 was too boy racer for the Oakville streets.

So no Revo ECU upgrade to 240hp for you right? ;-)

While I don't find myself thinking my GTI is underpowered I think I could put anpother 40-50HP to use in everyday driving..as long as I can get it to the ground. That is my issue with all the HP these hot hatches today make. FWD. That's why the WRX is so appealing. You can actually use that 265 HP.