Author Topic: Ways to find interest groups/teams/etc.  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Ways to find interest groups/teams/etc.
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:36:46 am »
Not sure if I've ever mentioned my age before... but I'm 28, single, work all day, take certificate courses when there is time, and I'm bored the rest of the time. I try to join up with sports teams or whatever interest groups I can but people are unreliable and the teams always fall apart (when I say I'm in I commit 100%). I'm not sure what I'm asking for but is there something out there where I should be looking to find... something? An indoor soccer team or an interest group that organizes...something?

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
Re: Ways to find interest groups/teams/etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:29:07 am »
Talk to people. Read newspaper announcements and check the library, university and the local town hall for a list of available activities. See what local businesses offer (like Running Room with their organized running clinics).

Are you sure you know what you are looking for?

What hobbies do you have? Singing, model building, mountain climbing?

Do you like old people/young people/sick people/church people/down and out people?

Find something stable - an outing club that's been around a few years, if hiking turns you on, for instance. A soup kitchen if that's your thing. Then join and stick with it for a couple of years. Get involved. Do more than the minimum.

Then, after a time you'll get known in that milieu. You'll become the 'prince of the principality' and the world is your oyster. Men will envy and respect you and women (young and old) will fawn over you.

Do your own thing to please yourself. Spend some time at it and things will sort themselves out. People are always unreliable - so don't count on them. If things fizzle out, just go onto the next thing. The journey is what is important.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:51:52 am »
You don't say where you are. The possibilities are different between places both for size and climate.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:30:19 am »
I'm not sure what I'm asking for but is there something out there where I should be looking to find... something? An indoor soccer team or an interest group that organizes...something?

www.meetup.com

Something for everyone, and in just about every major city.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:28:01 am »
An indoor soccer team or an interest group that organizes...something?

If you are in the GTA, my next door neighbour is involved with soccer (plays, runs tournments, even started his own league).

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:56:21 am »
I'm not sure what I'm asking for but is there something out there where I should be looking to find... something? An indoor soccer team or an interest group that organizes...something?

www.meetup.com

Even Guelph has about 20 things including the Atheists Club... amazing.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:04:32 am »

www.meetup.com

There's only 2 people in the Kingston Polyamory Club, how does that work?   :-X
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:16:45 am »
I live in Hamilton... nothing goes on here and apparently nobody lives here either (I'm only half joking).

Meetup.com looks interesting! I'll look into it.

I already belong to the Running Room although I'm totally a chicken when it comes to the really cold weather running. I used to have teams but they all flaked out on me. I'd love to find another team but don't know anyone... everyone else is busy!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:29 am »
Well, since this is a driving enthusiast site I'll throw this in.  Join a  CASC club and go autocrossing.  That'll burn up quite a few Sunday's playing with your car and becoming a better driver. You'll meet some really great people as well, although it is a bit female limited  :'(
There's a list of clubs here, they vary by region or interest or marque, something should be suitable.
http://www.casc.on.ca/

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:37:48 am »

:rofl:

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:32:26 pm »

www.meetup.com

Even Guelph has about 20 things including the Atheists Club... amazing.

Indeed.

mwqa, good ideas.

IceAndFire, maybe along the same lines I'd like activity friends or a group now and then too. Find myself busy often, but sometimes just want to do something different or explore, or what-not and can be difficult. This year I have a personal goal to 'get out there' more - shall see how it turns out. Interested in what you find and good luck. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:37:15 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:49 pm »

Also known as the 'wishful thinking' club.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »
Your in a similar situation to me. Your getting to an age where it can be a very steep up hill battle to be single and social.  I've finally decided that if i want to be social I can't be single any longer.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »
Your in a similar situation to me. Your getting to an age where it can be a very steep up hill battle to be single and social.  I've finally decided that if i want to be social I can't be single any longer.

That's a very good summary of what it's like. I'm finding an increasing gulf between those in my circle of friends who are still single and those who are in long term relationships. I fear the gulf will widen once kids come on the scene.

I did the single and I'm okay with it thing for quite a while. Then sometime in the last couple of years that wore thin... now I'm really seriously searching so any events I try to go to are in the hopes of trying to meet available girls (let's be honest here :)).

CASC sounds kind of interesting actually but if female representation is low then maybe it's not for the best :). I have enough interests where that is true. Still maybe I should look into it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 05:22:17 pm »
When you are in a long term/permanent relationship you get to the next thing as you allude to IceAndFire.   
 Children... we have found over the years that friendships wear thin when one couple has children although to be fair, when those kids have grown up  the friendships can come back. Most of our friends here are either childless or the kids have long gone.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »
Does your place of work have an employee's club?  They may offer various physical activities or help you start your own activity if you can get enough people interested.

baumer00

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »
If you're in to sports or quasi-sport related things check out the Hamilton Sport and Social Club.  I can't tell you anything about the Hamilton club, but I played in a few tournaments and participated in a few leagues in the Toronto S&SC and there were a lot of singles that sign up and join with teams and meet people.  The crowd seemed to be younger than me (I'm 30, most of my teammates that weren't part of our group were in their mid 20s).  And if you're looking to meet women this is a great place.

http://www.hamiltonssc.com/

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 12:28:25 am »
No employees club as far as I know. The students and faculty get most of the attention :) Still there may be some things... but I'm temporary so it doesn't solve my problem long term.

Sports & Social Club... didn't know about it but thanks for the link. I like playing sports, I like the fun aspect rather than insane competition...this sounds good to me. I'm going to find out more! Thanks!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:17 am »
No employees club as far as I know. The students and faculty get most of the attention :) Still there may be some things... but I'm temporary so it doesn't solve my problem long term.

Sports & Social Club... didn't know about it but thanks for the link. I like playing sports, I like the fun aspect rather than insane competition...this sounds good to me. I'm going to find out more! Thanks!

Not sure if you like golf..but there's always someone looking for a playing partner or someone to fill out a foursome...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:35:16 am »
Might sound weird but have you tried Curling?

Its much more fun to play than to watch. The teams don't tend to "fall apart" since they are part pof a bigger "club". Plus you get the social aspect of being a member of a club. There are lots of fun tournaments you can go different places or even play for $! I have no idea of the demographics of the clubs in your area though (women marrried vs single)