Author Topic: The Geek Store  (Read 1129 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
The Geek Store
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
One of the most interesting finds while browsing through Reddit..
I wonder if BP knew of such materials. They probably did, but it's cheaper to just sink the oil to the ocean floor  :'(

http://www.inventables.com/technologies/oil-absorbing-fabric

http://www.inventables.com/technologies/oil-absorbing-polymer

So if you guys have time to "shop", please share your findings  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: The Geek Store
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:44:54 am »
I wonder if BP knew of such materials. They probably did, but it's cheaper to just sink the oil to the ocean floor

Is that a bad thing? If they'd collected it all, it would still have to be disposed of somehow, at some cost to the environment. From what I've read, the ocean actually does a very good job of breaking down oil, so the real impact was fairly small...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:04 am »
..it's "Organic" is oil..... ..............and like dust to dust...............it's just going back home to visit Great great grandpaw........................Alarmism pays (thousand of Journos paychex and all the mediocre "scientists" and GORE hangers on....

when the greenies stop using anything made or derived from oil...i'll visit them in the Atacama................maybe......... ;D...don't abuse the natural Silicon there OK....no thin wafers and such............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:05 pm »
I'm going Green and I'm now trying to limit myself to using only natural products that we get directly from the Earth itself.

So far, my list of approved green products is: Crude oil, Asbestos, Arsenic, Lead, Mercury and Uranium.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51:54 pm »
Can the oil absorbing fabric be used to wipe a hot BBQ ?   Or does it immediately catch on fire and burn your arm off.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:18 pm »
the ocean actually does a very good job of breaking down oil, so the real impact was fairly small...

This is intriguing. You have links?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:06:20 pm »
Oil eating microbes?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:16:20 pm »
the ocean actually does a very good job of breaking down oil, so the real impact was fairly small...

Yeah, I'm not sure what fairly small is, but I've read stories about volunteers who helped with the clean-up getting ill and seen pics of mutated fish. I could look them up (the pics) but I'm lazy and still grossed out. Neither oil nor those nasty chemicals should be finding a way into the ecosystem, period.
Having to deal with this crap is another reason why perhaps the taxpayers should be kicking the bill of switching to production of clean energy and clean forms of transportation.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »
P.S. If such studies even exist, I'd be interested to know who sponsored them. It reminds me of those clean coal commercial during the recent US campaign.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »
Don't know about oil in the Gulf but I did see an article somewhere last week BBC? Nat Post?  that the methane that came with the spill was eaten up very quickly by bacteria .

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »
I'm going Green and I'm now trying to limit myself to using only natural products that we get directly from the Earth itself.

So far, my list of approved green products is: Crude oil, Asbestos, Arsenic, Lead, Mercury and Uranium.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I can't stop laughing!   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:50:49 am »

Popular Mechanics did a story on it: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/coal-oil-gas/oil-spill-water-chemistry

The problem doesn't seem to be oil in the water per se, but oil reaching the shoreline. Once it reaches the shore it wreaks havoc on the ecosystems there. But in deep water, it's broken up over time:

These forms can prove toxic to marine life, but after a time—with weathering, feasting micro-organisms and solar decomposition—the water self-purifies, as intermediate compounds gradually disappear and water and carbon dioxide reform.

No comment on the true impact of the spill, but I imagine that won't be really known for some time, yet.