Author Topic: Missed Pension Payments...what to do?  (Read 1230 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Missed Pension Payments...what to do?
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »
Our company was purchased last year when the owner retired.  Since then, I've found out that the company has missed paying a couple of our pension payments.  Not only their 3%, but my matching 3% contribution.  My 3% contributions were deducted off my cheque, so they've had our money...and just didn't put it in our pension plan.  The company claims if was a "mistake" and said they'd fix it.  That was over 3 months ago.  I'm tired of waiting.  I'd ask my dad for advice (he's a CA) but he's on vacation for the next several weeks. 

What recourse, if any, do I have?  Is there some government watch-dog for pensions? 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Missed Pension Payments...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:57 pm »
Phone a paper or TV station?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:57:59 pm »
If it is a Defined Benefit pension and you are "Vested" that is locked in and guaranteed a pension based on TOTAL contributions......for example 2% times annual salary
 times Years worked times best last 5 years salary...NO PROBLEMO (in most cases) as the monies have (should have) been set aside in a separate and untouchable account in your name.................other pensions NOT so much.................call your pension GURU.......

your situation may Vary........... :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »
My dad worked for Atlas Steel all of his working life and also had a company-managed pension.  The company was bought and sold a few times.  After he retired, it came to light that the company had not been making contributions to the plan for many, many years and his pension was almost cut in half.  I hope this isn't what's happening to you. 

Ours is managed by a third party - Great-West Life.  Untouchable by anyone (unless GWL decides to screw off with it).  After sub-prime mortgages, nothing surprises me anymore.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:19:26 pm »
My dad worked for Atlas Steel all of his working life and also had a company-managed pension.  The company was bought and sold a few times.  After he retired, it came to light that the company had not been making contributions to the plan for many, many years and his pension was almost cut in half.  I hope this isn't what's happening to you. 

Ours is managed by a third party - Great-West Life.  Untouchable by anyone (unless GWL decides to screw off with it).  After sub-prime mortgages, nothing surprises me anymore.

Our is managed by Manulife.  But when the deduction come of my cheque for the pension contribution (3%) the company matches it (3%).  But they physically didn't mail/send/deposit the monies into the account.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »

Our is managed by Manulife.  But when the deduction come of my cheque for the pension contribution (3%) the company matches it (3%).  But they physically didn't mail/send/deposit the monies into the account.
Any of the new owners on a trip south ???

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »

Any of the new owners on a trip south ???

LOL...no, no.  It's nothing like that.  It was in the interim between the old and new owners that payments got missed.  Looks to be an oversight.  But it has NOT been corrected quickly enough IMO.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:15:39 pm by rrocket »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »
If it's been corrected, that's good.

To answer your question, yes, there is a supervisor of pensions or some other similar name in each province, and probably at the fed level for federally-mandated pension plans.  I believe it would come somewhere under the dept of labour. 
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »
..Congrats Wing........a SENIOR MOMENT there.....i tho't ya were YOUNGER :D......................

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:15:17 pm »
If it's been corrected, that's good.

To answer your question, yes, there is a supervisor of pensions or some other similar name in each province, and probably at the fed level for federally-mandated pension plans.  I believe it would come somewhere under the dept of labour. 

Sorry...sorry...it HASN'T been corrected quickly enough.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:49 pm »
If your payroll is managed by ADP or perhaps Ceridian, they deducted and have set aside the money and possibly even paid it. It won't show though until your company portion shows up to match.

If payroll is totally done by your company it may not. You can go to the person or company that is responsible for your benefits ( a consultant or broker) and get them involved or you can go to the Ontario website and look under pensions to see you need to contact. They are regulated.

baumer00

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
You're in Ontario so you're pension should be regulated by FSCO, try contacting them:
http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/english/pensions/

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 10:36:12 pm »
Thanks everyone!!  Will keep you posted!