Author Topic: Buy a domain name  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Buy a domain name
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:27:34 am »
What is the best why to buy a domain name?
Then how do you set up your emails?
I am at the stage where I have a little knowledge and it is dangerous

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Buy a domain name
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 08:52:03 am »
look at places like GoDaddy.com  There are many that will register your domain and then either host emails to that domain or at least do forwarding to Gmail/Rogers/Sympatico. Maybe  that Sympatico offers that.

I see that airbalancer.ca is available
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:53:02 am »
look at places like GoDaddy.com  There are many that will register your domain and then either host emails to that domain or at least do forwarding to Gmail/Rogers/Sympatico. Maybe  that Sympatico offers that.

Not anymore...I just bought it!  Wanna buy it AB?   ;)

I've used DomainDirect in the past 4 years, and it's been fine - http://www.domaindirect.com/.  You get your own "serious looking" e-mail address that you can forward anywhere you like as TPL mentions.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:57 am »
Yeah lots of sites.  I signed up 3 years at ipage.com  it was $139 I believe for 3 years I figured what the hell, that's cheap.  Unlimited domains (just have to pay like $10 per name) associated with the account so you can run a ton of sites on it.

Of course can't comment on performance as I haven't really set anything up on it yet, but it does e-mail (you get unlimited accounts) and you can forward to your current e-mail address if you want.  I set one up for my house for sale, using info@mydomain and then forward to my gmail.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:43 am »
I set one up for my house for sale, using info@mydomain and then forward to my gmail.

Wing, I use Gmail all the time.  Although I've tried to set it up that it "looks" like I'm sending an e-mail from an address like info@mydomain.ca, on some e-mail servers, it still says "Sent on behalf of info@mydomain.ca by TopGunIsAGoof@gmail.com."  Have you had any experience with that?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:42:42 am »
Send me a mail james@CanadianDriver.com

Let's test it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
Going to get it though my sister in law company, Sencia Canada Ltd. www.sencia.ca
look at places like GoDaddy.com  There are many that will register your domain and then either host emails to that domain or at least do forwarding to Gmail/Rogers/Sympatico. Maybe  that Sympatico offers that.

airbalancer.ca is to long

kicker

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:06:54 am »
airbalancer
I don't know anything about domain names but heres a link that shows alot of what you are looking for
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=6&oq=domain+name&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA325CA325&q=domain+name+registration+canada

Its much easier for me to find information than it is to retrace my steps for a specific link
20 times easier .

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 11:30:43 am »
New domain is etsb.info  ;D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 11:32:54 am »
Send me a mail james@CanadianDriver.com

Let's test it.

Done!

@topgun - it's simple. There's a setting in gmail to add a second address and when you send you select it as the sender address. A quick warning - it could be possible to have your messages caught by some strict corporate anti-spam systems if that's a factor.

I've tried that Careener.  It's doesn't appear to be consistent, but sometimes, it still says "sent on the behalf of blahblah@gmail.com"

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:04 am »
airbalancer
I don't know anything about domain names but heres a link that shows alot of what you are looking for
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=6&oq=domain+name&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA325CA325&q=domain+name+registration+canada

Its much easier for me to find information than it is to retrace my steps for a specific link
20 times easier .

You actually posted a Google search?  How useful are you?
Mr Pickypants

kicker

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 11:54:33 am »
Choices my dear fellow .

UmroAyyar

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:02:28 pm »
I set one up for my house for sale, using info@mydomain and then forward to my gmail.

Wing, I use Gmail all the time.  Although I've tried to set it up that it "looks" like I'm sending an e-mail from an address like info@mydomain.ca, on some e-mail servers, it still says "Sent on behalf of info@mydomain.ca by TopGunIsAGoof@gmail.com."  Have you had any experience with that?

That can be fixed. Gmail allows you to use your own SMTP server for particular emails.
Using that setup will remove the 'send on behalf of' from your sent emails.

Let me know if you need help with that.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:54:44 pm »
Assuming you actually have an SMTP server ;).  i do the same, you can't tell it is from google unless you look at the mime details.  But when I send from my phone because it is gmail you can, ah well.

my cd e-mail is just a forward no actual mail server.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 04:30:58 pm »
I use NetFirms.ca. Pretty happy with it.

For email I like Google Apps. It's free for personal use, and you can set up your @mydomain.com email to function just like a GMail account. Makes things really easy. :)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:18:37 pm »
For email I like Google Apps. It's free for personal use, and you can set up your @mydomain.com email to function just like a GMail account. Makes things really easy. :)

Well...OK...I don't see the difference between the Google Apps and the GMail though.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

That can be fixed. Gmail allows you to use your own SMTP server for particular emails.
Using that setup will remove the 'send on behalf of' from your sent emails.

Let me know if you need help with that.

Uh..oh...I'm starting to run out of talent.  Here's what I found in the GMail help that sounds like your suggestion UmroAyyar.  I don't understand the stuff in bold.  How do I know how what "email client"  GMail uses?  :-[

To use a verified custom 'From:' address when composing a new message, pick an address from the drop-down menu in the 'From:' field. If you're replying or forwarding, click change next to the 'From:' field first. You can also choose to automatically use the address to which a message was sent.

Note for IMAP/POP users: If you access Gmail through a POP or IMAP email client (e.g. Outlook) and would like to send messages with a custom "from" address, you have two options. We recommend that you configure your email client with two outgoing SMTP servers, one for Gmail and one for your other address. Your second option is to use Gmail's outbound servers with a different "from" address. If you've already configured the custom from address in the web interface, your message will be sent from:otheraddress@domain.com, sender:username@gmail.com, regardless of which custom from configuration you chose. Your messages will be sent from your regular Gmail address if you never configured your custom from settings in the web interface.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:39:18 pm »
Typically you would have an smtp server for the other mail.  Like say junk.com. Would be smtp.junk.com and that would be linked with the from address.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:48:02 pm »
Well...OK...I don't see the difference between the Google Apps and the GMail though.

There isn't much. But if you want an @mydomain.com email address instead of an @gmail.com email address, then you'd set that up through Google Apps. IIRC the professional version also has more storage space for email than regular GMail, but it's basically just GMail at your own domain otherwise. The inbox and stuff is identical.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 07:43:37 am »
Anyone use http://www4.webserve.ca/webhosting/compareplans/

there emailing hosting looks like a good price and it is a Canadian company