Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE AWD  (Read 12717 times)

derek234

Re: Test Drive: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE AWD
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »
I was speaking to a sales person at a Dodge Dealership and he said when the 2011 Grand Caravan's come out they will be closely priced to the Sienna and have no discounts.   He said that Dodge has made a big improvement in quality and the price will reflect it.   So all those people who are paying 5k to 10k savings over the Sienna is coming to an end from what that guy was telling me.

As well everyone compares AWD to Winter tires.  How about an AWD with winter tires ?? :)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:08 pm »
I was speaking to a sales person at a Dodge Dealership and he said when the 2011 Grand Caravan's come out they will be closely priced to the Sienna and have no discounts.   He said that Dodge has made a big improvement in quality and the price will reflect it.   So all those people who are paying 5k to 10k savings over the Sienna is coming to an end from what that guy was telling me.

As well everyone compares AWD to Winter tires.  How about an AWD with winter tires ?? :)

Can you imaging a sales person (in his right mind) saying to your that their new and improved product is so bad that it is nowhere near the Toyota or Honda quality, will be sold for 10k less with an additional 5k discount and family pricing in the first year?
Sorry, what you said is anekdotal in itself - 'a sales person at a dealership told me that...'  :rofl2:

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »
Well, personally I can understand why some people have an aversion to one brand or another based on prior dealership experience and while I can say I have had some "disagreements" with both a Pontiac dealership (RIP) and my Nissan dealership I can honestly say it wasn't to the point where I would refuse to buy one of the manufacturer's vehicles because of it. But I do understand those who feel that way.

As for Dodge hiking their prices because they say this new Caravan will be so much better built - I seriously hope thats not the case because they're in for a rude awakening if they do. They'll have to give it at least 3 years for the model to prove itself and then maybe they can THINK about it. However if they're smart they'll follow the Hyundai model and maybe start hiking prices slowly with subsequent generations of already successful and competitive vehicles.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »
Well, personally I can understand why some people have an aversion to one brand or another based on prior dealership experience and while I can say I have had some "disagreements" with both a Pontiac dealership (RIP) and my Nissan dealership I can honestly say it wasn't to the point where I would refuse to buy one of the manufacturer's vehicles because of it. But I do understand those who feel that way.

As for Dodge hiking their prices because they say this new Caravan will be so much better built - I seriously hope thats not the case because they're in for a rude awakening if they do. They'll have to give it at least 3 years for the model to prove itself and then maybe they can THINK about it. However if they're smart they'll follow the Hyundai model and maybe start hiking prices slowly with subsequent generations of already successful and competitive vehicles.

I was essentially threatened and intimidated in a service managers office and was told there was no f%$&ing way they would fix my truck (it was under warranty at the time). After I stood my ground, countered that they botched the previous repair job and released a vehicle with major front end issues back to the customer and that my lawyer partner was reviewing the whole deal, they magically repaired the vehicle. He  never did apologize. Plus Dodge interiors tend to have a horrible new car smell, like really cheap model glue. ;D

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 08:18:55 am »

I was essentially threatened and intimidated in a service managers office and was told there was no f%$&ing way they would fix my truck (it was under warranty at the time). After I stood my ground, countered that they botched the previous repair job and released a vehicle with major front end issues back to the customer and that my lawyer partner was reviewing the whole deal, they magically repaired the vehicle. He  never did apologize. Plus Dodge interiors tend to have a horrible new car smell, like really cheap model glue. ;D

You should have just brought your avatar in with you! :)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 08:59:04 am »

+1 on both points. Should Chrysler get cocky with their pricing, they'll get slapped and humiliated digging an even deeper hole for themselves. Being diligent and methodical in proving it to the people they can trust their product for a few solid years.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:14 am »
You should have just brought your avatar in with you! :)

He is only an inch tall.  ;D  I guess my point being is that the "greasy" attitude at my local Chrysler dealership is pervasive. If they don't clean that up they will always be a second tier brand that has to sell at deep discount to move product.

derek234

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 12:35:34 pm »
I'm just telling you what the sales person said.  Never said I believed it.

jacko

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:22 pm »
i, for one... will not buy a caravan or a journey or any other chrysler product.
i used to have a dodge caravan in the mid 90's. the van had a 3.0 litre V6 and it had 2... yes, two... the engine had to be rebuilt twice with less than 80,000 kms on it. i finally sold it and got a first generation sienna. the person who bought my old caravan, after 2 yrs or so i think - the engine blew up on him with less than 100,000kms.

my 1999 sienna is still with me today. it doesn't look like brand new anymore, the a/c doesnt work because the a/c condenser is leaking. these are the only two problems with the van. other than these two things, the van drives so smooth that if ride in it blindfolded... you would think the van is  brand new.

basically, you get what you pay for. compare a journey or caravan side by side with the new sienna, you will see why the sienna is a lot more in price.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:07:28 pm by jacko »