Author Topic: Money tip for the well off  (Read 5718 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Money tip for the well off
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 01:48:22 pm »
airbancer. You might have noted I didn't say all businesses . As far as the rest of the
posts go , I didn't read , not to be rude or anything I simply Know nothing on the topic to comment on any further than I have already done . Not my forte . I don't feel like researching the topic any further either . The 15 minutes I spent researching it yesterday was more than I spend a topic that holds no interest for me . cheers

But you wrote Most businesses are left with about 3% after all is said and done

What the heck to you do for a living??????????
:light: I know, we should have a poll, that would make this thread interesting! ;D
I'll go first - I say Night time Security Guard.
Railton

What did bikenut do for a living?  I'll take a stab and say they have the same occupation...
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »
RIM's workforce is somewhere around 15,000.  Compare to, say, Chrysler Canada, somewhere around 9,000.  RIM's jobs all a result of technology, and pretty much all jobs that didn't exist 10 years.

Yes.  How many of those 15,000 workers are assembling cell phones?  While the high input value of labour manufacturing jobs (auto sector is one example) are great, it is the jobs that can't be done by low skilled labour or robots that we need to keep creating.  Those jobs are creative in nature, requiring education and problem solving abilities.  This is our competitive advantage in the world, and we need to not only exploit it in the current period, but long term.  We need to take a position as the world leader in creation and implementation of technological advances, and stay out front.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 02:43:10 pm »
I haven't read all the posts, and I know nothing about the subject, can I post the results of a google search?
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »
I haven't read all the posts, and I know nothing about the subject, can I post the results of a google search?

Only if you spent 15 minutes or less on research.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 02:58:18 pm »
RIM's workforce is somewhere around 15,000.  Compare to, say, Chrysler Canada, somewhere around 9,000.  RIM's jobs all a result of technology, and pretty much all jobs that didn't exist 10 years.

Yes.  How many of those 15,000 workers are assembling cell phones?  While the high input value of labour manufacturing jobs (auto sector is one example) are great, it is the jobs that can't be done by low skilled labour or robots that we need to keep creating.  Those jobs are creative in nature, requiring education and problem solving abilities.  This is our competitive advantage in the world, and we need to not only exploit it in the current period, but long term.  We need to take a position as the world leader in creation and implementation of technological advances, and stay out front.

Good question:  I'll spend 900 seconds and see if I can find some answers:

Go!

The province is offering payroll rebates for up to 50 new workers, including senior project engineers and software developers.

Most of the jobs are expected to be in the $60,000 to $75,000 range.

The jobs will be created at Chalk Media Corp. a subsidiary of RIM.

RIM acquired the Fredericton-based company, which designs software applications for RIM's popular BlackBerry handheld device, in January 2009.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/01/12/nb-rim-jobs-fredericton-1128.html#ixzz1A0HKBuC2

Apparently RIM has in excess of 600 vacant positions to fill, most of which are in North America, while last year RIM has upped its workforce by 50 percent to about 12,000 employees.

The reason is apparently Mike Lazaridis and co-chief exec Jim Balsillie, are looking for the manpower to “preserve sales growth” as analysts have predicted a decline to its lowest in at least 6 years.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/04/30/why-do-rim-keep-hiring-despite-mobile-slump/

Note sales growth in Smartphones doesn't come from assembly, it's innovation, and RIM is in a tough battle with the IP4 and Android.

RIM isn’t the only Canadian tech company currently hiring. Bridgewater Systems Corp. and software company Open Text are also busy building their workforces.

“We’re always interested when the big international companies do some restructuring,” Open Text’s SVP of Research and Development Nicholas Oddson told the Globe and Mail. “If there are people restructured out of Microsoft, I’m interested in that.”

http://www.firedfornow.com/uncategorized/holy-poop-rim-is-hiring/

People restructured out of MS and Nokia aren't going to be assemblers with tiny dexterous fingers. ;)

We don't believe in step functions in business. We believe things grow — they have a growth rate — and you have to be prepared to deal with that."

Part of the plan includes moving forward with a hiring streak for positions across the company, from engineering to global supply chain management, accounting and sales, Lazaridis said. (read not assembly)

RIM has the advantage of having its headquarters across the street from the University of Waterloo, one of North America's best-known technology schools and also one of RIM's biggest co-op partners.

Last year, RIM said it employed about 1,800 co-op students in 2008 from both Canadian and international schools, with a good portion of those students migrating from the local university.

The company has pledged that about 10 per cent of its workforce should be co-op students, and partnered with the university on an expansive "try before you buy" program, according to Peggy Jarvie, executive director of career services at the University of Waterloo.

Under the plan, RIM funnels in Waterloo students who are earning credits for through a co-op program, trains them, and then hires the ones that fit best with the company.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/03/12/f-good-jobs-techjobs.html#ixzz1A0JfIETo

That only took about 3 minutes.   :D

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »
Higher interest rates than Canada ? You're kidding ? At our current lofty 2% ?
Tell me a country whose Bank offers higher than Irans 6% and I'll pass it along .
Safer places to put money ? Sure , then I can watch inflation eat away at it .

Putting money in Iran bank has to be the dumbest think I have read in a long time
Putting your money into mortages would be much safer and get more of a return

I have a friend who bought 1,000,000 Iraqi denair back in '05.  Was sure it would make him rich.

There is one born every minute.......

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 03:10:00 pm »
Perhaps my post was misinterpreted.  My question about the number of assembly jobs was rhetorical.  I was agreeing with you, meaning that the jobs are not in assembling cell phones, but in the creation of the technological advances that power modern communications.  We should try to keep our manufacturing jobs as long as possible, especially in high productivity of labour industries, but we need to focus on our strengths, which is the creation of technology through innovation.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »
Sorry John, your post was a bit vague, but either way,  RIM is a great example of some of the right things going on.  Happy New Year.

Anyone have a BB Torch?  My Pearl is almost done, one reason I love it, I open the back cover and see "MADE IN CANADA" displayed proudly......

vdk

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »
Sorry John, your post was a bit vague, but either way,  RIM is a great example of some of the right things going on.  Happy New Year.

Anyone have a BB Torch?  My Pearl is almost done, one reason I love it, I open the back cover and see "MADE IN CANADA" displayed proudly......

My 9780 is made in Mexico. So is the 9700 and the Torch. I think most BBs are these days.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:10:14 pm by vdk »

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 04:15:20 pm »
Not Surprised, although I guess I could think of worse places they could assemble them.

A co-worker of mine just went to Hawaii in Dec, apparently Dole is shutting down pineapple production there, moving it to, yep, Mexico.  Someday We'll go to Domino's and order a ham and pineapple, by saying give me a Mexican. :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 06:33:40 pm »
Quote from: airbalancer link=topic=72585.msg 692616#msg 692616 date=1294079547
airbancer. You might have noted I didn't say all businesses . As far as the rest of the
posts go , I didn't read , not to be rude or anything I simply Know nothing on the topic to comment on any further than I have already done . Not my forte . I don't feel like researching the topic any further either . The 15 minutes I spent researching it yesterday was more than I spend a topic that holds no interest for me . cheers

But you wrote Most businesses are left with about 3% after all is said and done

What the heck to you do for a living??????????
:light: I know, we should have a poll, that would make this thread interesting! ;D
I'll go first - I say Night time Security Guard.
Railton

In a government office   :run:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 06:37:58 pm »
Doesn't Meow work in a comic book store?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »
..well ENTERTAINMENT fer the masses still pays...but for how long.....Hollywood has gone BOLLYWOOD.........and i imagine Chinese flixs will be nix!!!.............."Frankly comrade  lady I don't give a 3 rivers dam......"..... ;D.................
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:37:29 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once