Author Topic: Audi R8 V10 vs. Nissan GT-R  (Read 5728 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Audi R8 V10 vs. Nissan GT-R
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »

I'd go with the R8 V10, but I'm a row-your-own-gears purist and the R8 is the only one of the three that is available with three pedals.

No problem with that.  But I don't mind the paddle shifters in the LF-A since it completes the F1 experience with that glorious soundtrack....

I can totally get why others would go for paddle shifters.  F1 experience, better objective performance, etc.  As always, my post is meant as what I'd prefer, not what everyone else should prefer (not that you need the clarification, but you never know when someone else might ;)).

Honestly...I wouldn't pout too much if an R8 with a manual found its way into my garage...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:50 pm »
Not too shabby for $90usd.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/2012-nissan-gt-r-officially-goes-0-60-in-2-9-seconds/

It's sick, eh?  The "old" version was only 7 tenths of a second slower around the 'Ring than a ZR-1...wonder if they will re-run this version??

I surely hope it's a rematch.   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 08:04:01 pm »

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/2012-nissan-gt-r-officially-goes-0-60-in-2-9-seconds/

It's sick, eh?  The "old" version was only 7 tenths of a second slower around the 'Ring than a ZR-1...wonder if they will re-run this version??

I find it fascinating when they re-run cars with their touched-up engines and suspension tweaks in a minor refresh.  For example, the 2011 IS-F with the tweaked suspension and new rear diff was lapping 8 seconds FASTER than the "old" IS-F and circulated the track in the same time as the M3.  So sometimes these little tweaks make HUGE differences.

As far as the GT-R, I remember reading the head engineer saying the GT-R would not be perfect or as he envisioned it until year 3.  Looks like he got it right....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 08:12:13 pm »

I find it fascinating when they re-run cars with their touched-up engines and suspension tweaks in a minor refresh.  For example, the 2011 IS-F with the tweaked suspension and new rear diff was lapping 8 seconds FASTER than the "old" IS-F and circulated the track in the same time as the M3.  So sometimes these little tweaks make HUGE differences.

As far as the GT-R, I remember reading the head engineer saying the GT-R would not be perfect or as he envisioned it until year 3.  Looks like he got it right....

Yeah, completely agree Ron.  It's amazing to see how these little tweaks pan out and pay off on the ring.  I am anxious to see what time this new GT-R will turn in on the ring.  Again, amazing performance for $90k US. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:34 pm »

Yeah, completely agree Ron.  It's amazing to see how these little tweaks pan out and pay off on the ring.  I am anxious to see what time this new GT-R will turn in on the ring.  Again, amazing performance for $90k US. 

I still want to see what the LF-A will do around the 'Ring.

But yea..I'm nerdy about testing mods.  I've spent plenty of coin on the dyno just doing tweaks, testing products, etc to see if they made any difference on my cars.

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 08:23:39 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LFA#Lap_times

Haruhiko Tanahashi claimed "better than 7 minutes 20 seconds."  No specifics were given.

Sport Auto recorded 7:38: "Sport Auto cited LFA ran exactly the same lap time with the same driver that other major competitors like Ferrari 458 Italia, Corvette ZR1 with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) tires and 2 seconds faster than Mercedes SLS AMG, 2 seconds faster than the Porsche 997.2 GT3 911, 4 seconds faster than Lamborghini LP-670 SV, 10 seconds faster than Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 and 9 seconds faster than Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. All with the same driver Horst Von Saurma."

Auto Bild Germany recorded 7:38.85, beating the Nissan GT-R (by five seconds), Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera (by two seconds) and Wiesmann GT MF5 (by 12 seconds) in a back-to-back test.

So yeah, it's fast.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 08:29:17 pm »

Haruhiko Tanahashi claimed "better than 7 minutes 20 seconds."  No specifics were given.

Sport Auto recorded 7:38: "Sport Auto cited LFA ran exactly the same lap time with the same driver that other major competitors like Ferrari 458 Italia, Corvette ZR1 with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) tires and 2 seconds faster than Mercedes SLS AMG, 2 seconds faster than the Porsche 997.2 GT3 911, 4 seconds faster than Lamborghini LP-670 SV, 10 seconds faster than Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 and 9 seconds faster than Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. All with the same driver Horst Von Saurma."

Auto Bild Germany recorded 7:38.85, beating the Nissan GT-R (by five seconds), Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera (by two seconds) and Wiesmann GT MF5 (by 12 seconds) in a back-to-back test.

So yeah, it's fast.
Not worth paying an additional $300K though now is it? It won't even carry the kids in the back seat nor a set of 2x4's.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »

So yeah, it's fast.

Oh no doubt it's fast....I just wanted to see Toyota's driver...someone who's logged hours and hours in the car like everybody else who has a go at the Ring.  The LF-A also had a good lap during Top Gear..though it was soaking wet.

Mitlov

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 08:42:24 pm »

So yeah, it's fast.
Not worth paying an additional $300K though now is it? It won't even carry the kids in the back seat nor a set of 2x4's.
Railton

These cars are all so frickin' expensive that I can't think about ANY of them seriously, logically, in terms of price.  If I had $500,000 free money, I'd probably be tooling around in a base-engined Cayman, sending my kids to college, paying off my mortgage and student loans, taking trips overseas, and planning an early retirement.

So I basically ignore the price on these cars because NONE of them are worth the price IMO.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »

So yeah, it's fast.
Railton

These cars are all so frickin' expensive that I can't think about ANY of them seriously, logically, in terms of price.  If I had $500,000 free money, I'd probably be tooling around in a base-engined Cayman, sending my kids to college, paying off my mortgage and student loans, taking trips overseas, and planning an early retirement.

So I basically ignore the price on these cars because NONE of them are worth the price IMO.

Yep, they are no doubt expensive.  People that buy the likes of an LF-A surely have many other vehicles in their stable.  The average person that has $500k to spend probably won't spend it all on one vehicle, but buy a modest vehicle and pocket/invest the rest.  Someone that has millions (which is obviously who this market is targeted at) doesn't think twice about paying that kind of money for a car.  Spendinng $30k car to us is similar to spending $400k+ car to others.  It's all relative.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »

Yep, they are no doubt expensive.  People that buy the likes of an LF-A surely have many other vehicles in their stable.  The average person that has $500k to spend probably won't spend it all on one vehicle, but buy a modest vehicle and pocket/invest the rest.  Someone that has millions (which is obviously who this market is targeted at) doesn't think twice about paying that kind of money for a car. 

There are 2 LF-A that are coming to Ontario.  I know both owners.   ;D  One of them is a bazillionaire who was a pioneer in Lasik surgeries, and has done at least 50,000 procedures.  At a few thousand per surgery, you do the math. He has many supercars.  The last one I saw him in was a new Bentley Continental GT.

The other owner is a young guy who is spending his inheritance/tuition/savings on an LF-A.

One in TO, one in Windsor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:01:20 pm by rrocket »

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12395
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 07:58:52 am »
These cars are all so frickin' expensive that I can't think about ANY of them seriously, logically, in terms of price. 

I agree to a point, but it still makes a positive impression on me that Nissan is able to turn out a car that is vastly less frickin' expensive that most of of its performance peers, even if it's still a heck of a lot of money.

As for the LF-A - wow - what a machine. Not quite an R-8 in terms of pure, gorgeous lines - but great looking in its own right.  The sound is incredible and the performannce undeniable.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 08:22:58 am »

A spare ( presumably tax free ) $500,000.  No expensive cars for me. An apartment in Paris and a transit pass!   6 months a year in the city of light would do me fine.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 09:12:24 am »

Yep, they are no doubt expensive.  People that buy the likes of an LF-A surely have many other vehicles in their stable.  The average person that has $500k to spend probably won't spend it all on one vehicle, but buy a modest vehicle and pocket/invest the rest.  Someone that has millions (which is obviously who this market is targeted at) doesn't think twice about paying that kind of money for a car. 

There are 2 LF-A that are coming to Ontario.  I know both owners.   ;D  One of them is a bazillionaire who was a pioneer in Lasik surgeries, and has done at least 50,000 procedures.  At a few thousand per surgery, you do the math. He has many supercars.  The last one I saw him in was a new Bentley Continental GT.

The other owner is a young guy who is spending his inheritance/tuition/savings on an LF-A.

That's awesome.  Since you know both owners, is there a chance that they will take you for a drive in it?  The sound of the LF-A is just so intoxicating.  If I owned one, there is no well in hell I would ever have the stereo on. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JpmZoZEIiI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6D7S2rcyIQ&feature=fvw

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 09:56:12 am »

I can totally get why others would go for paddle shifters.  F1 experience, better objective performance, etc.  As always, my post is meant as what I'd prefer, not what everyone else should prefer (not that you need the clarification, but you never know when someone else might ;)).

Ya, we wouldn't want to upset anyone or be exclusionary now would we.   ;)

There's a GT-R that has been hanging around a local new-build condo sales site....looked pretty sinister.  That would make a hell of a winter car too huh?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 10:36:18 am »

Ya, we wouldn't want to upset anyone or be exclusionary now would we.   ;)

There's a GT-R that has been hanging around a local new-build condo sales site....looked pretty sinister.  That would make a hell of a winter car too huh?
Which condo be'dat - the one down by the lake with the on again, off again, on again sales center?
Railton

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 11:38:40 am »
^ That's awesome, where did you download it from? 

http://www.fastmotoring.com/index.php/tag/lexus-lfa-ringtone/

Available in mp3 for any phone or m4r for the iPhone. :) For iPhone, just sync it with iTunes.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 11:48:08 am »
Which condo be'dat - the one down by the lake with the on again, off again, on again sales center?
Railton

Yes.  I've seen it there about 6 different times.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:04:07 pm by TopGun »

Offline rsxca

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +21/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic Si, RSX, Volvo XC70, GTI, 328i
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:40 pm »

Are you talking about Dr. Tayfour??  I almost worked for him when I graduated from Optometry school.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 07:27:40 pm »
^^You are correct.