Author Topic: Theory on why the next Honda Civic will be a winner .  (Read 17082 times)

kicker

Theory on why the next Honda Civic will be a winner .
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:40:05 pm »
1) They know things aren't going as well as they used too with failures like the Insight and their Accord hatch thing . So it's time for that Honda pride to kick in and match their older commercials .

2) The hairs on the back of their neck are standing up with Hyundai blowing on them .

3) The next Civic was going to be bigger , so chances are they might put a 2 liter in it ( 1.5 , 1.6 ,1.8 ,maybe a 2 this time ) .

4) Since not doing d.i. ( that would be a real hat trick ) 2 liter will keep up with the upcoming d.i. crowd .

5) Since the new Civic is not bigger as originally planned , it will be lighter than the original planned Civic , meaning the 2 liter ? planned for it will perform better than expected in it !

6) They have always made bang for your buck engines , engineering them is what they do best ,
they make more engines than any company in the whole world - lots of practice .

7) They have always made great sticks .

8) Styling will be improved as the front end drawing pic floating around shows .

Can't wait till the Jan show to see it, in concept anyway.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why the next Honda Civic will be a winner .
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:12:45 pm »
The real reason is because they will be adding a 5 door hatch to the Civic line-up!
It will totally outsell the Matrix and Mazda3 hatch.

With 4 door sedan, 5 door hatch and 2 door coupe, the Civic will continue to be Canada's best selling vehicle!

P.S. why is this post in the " CanadianDriver Articles/Reviews" section?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

vdk

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:38:14 pm »
The real reason is because they will be adding a 5 door hatch to the Civic line-up!
It will totally outsell the Matrix and Mazda3 hatch.

With 4 door sedan, 5 door hatch and 2 door coupe, the Civic will continue to be Canada's best selling vehicle!

P.S. why is this post in the " CanadianDriver Articles/Reviews" section?

About f-ing time my friend!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »
IMO all they'd have to do is bring over the Euro Civic Hatch (Type R or otherwise) and it would be an improvement and would sell.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:07:49 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:04:10 am »
blech, that Euro Civic is crap compared to the previous generation...in fact, it's so bad, the Japanese don't even buy Civic's any more as Honda has dropped the model from their line-up...that would be like Ford dropping the Mustang in NA.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 12:49:09 am »
9) The current one is still a pretty damn good car.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 06:49:38 am »
The Euro Civic has the Fit's torsion beam rear suspension.  If I wanted the Fit's torsion beam suspension, I'd save some money and just buy a Fit.  I think this is one of those rare instances where the North American version of a car is actually better than the UK version.

blech, that Euro Civic is crap compared to the previous generation...in fact, it's so bad, the Japanese don't even buy Civic's any more as Honda has dropped the model from their line-up...that would be like Ford dropping the Mustang in NA.

Honda quit selling the Civic in Japan because the Japanese go gaga for boxes and MPVs instead of sedans and the like.  The Civic-based Stream will still be sold in Japan; it's just the sedan and coupe (and the nameplate that went along with them) that's going away.  And I don't think the Civic nameplate has been an icon in Japan like it is elsewhere for a long time.

The Honda Stream, if you're not familiar with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOPpcr-eLI4

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »
The Euro Civic looks better IMO...

hondroid

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 07:53:22 pm »
Ah........no. :rofl:

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:31:43 pm »
The Euro Civic has the Fit's torsion beam rear suspension.  If I wanted the Fit's torsion beam suspension, I'd save some money and just buy a Fit.  I think this is one of those rare instances where the North American version of a car is actually better than the UK version.

Honda quit selling the Civic in Japan because the Japanese go gaga for boxes and MPVs instead of sedans and the like.  The Civic-based Stream will still be sold in Japan; it's just the sedan and coupe (and the nameplate that went along with them) that's going away.  And I don't think the Civic nameplate has been an icon in Japan like it is elsewhere for a long time.

The Honda Stream, if you're not familiar with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOPpcr-eLI4

If Honda makes the Stream (with sliding-doors) "IN" and ""FOR" North America, and name it the the "Civic something", the Civic will forever secure it's best selling title in Canada.

Civic Nation, eh?  :P

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 11:35:16 pm »

If Honda makes the Stream (with sliding-doors) "IN" and ""FOR" North America, and name it the the "Civic something", the Civic will forever secure it's best selling title in Canada.

It would kill CR-V sales...and possibly Fit sales.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:39 am »

It would kill CR-V sales...and possibly Fit sales.
More importantly take away sales from other brands.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 05:19:20 am »
Euro Civic is your CSX.  The Type R has been discontinued in Europe (too dirty).

IMO Honda Global (automobiles) has been  on a cost cutting mission much the same as Toyota hence the noticeable down grading in materials and cheapening of their vehicles in general IMO.

Next Civic in Canada will no doubt retain its popularity no matter of new style etc, but the new Elantra will most likely grab some of the Civic's current owners. IMO the new Elantra is what the next Civic could have been.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:40:23 pm by MKII »

kicker

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:14 am »
mk11
IMO the new Elantra is what the next Civic could of been. --Could have been ? But it hasn't come out yet or been tested ?

I like hyundai for alot of reasons , the Elantra is no doubt a very good car , I particularly like other reviews on how really good the automatic 6 speed is viewed, with people actually preferring it to the standard because it makes the car perform better .

The Elantra doesn't have a d.i. engine, so engine wise it will be on the same playing field as the next Civic . Now Hyundai has made some great advances , but their engines can still sound thrashy when pushed . Honda on the other hand has made some great free reving sweet sounding engines . The nod goes to Honda on this point .
 Honda makes some of the best shift linkages out there , nod to Honda .
 Honda engineers drivers cars . The Elantra takes the middle of the road approach here because Hyundai doesn't want any sales to be taken away from the better handling drivers car ,the up coming sporty Velostar . Nod goes to the Civic here again .
So mk11 what is it exactly that will make the Elantra better than the upcoming Civic could ever be ?  Is it the seat fabric ? 

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 10:01:10 am »
Not saying Elantra is/will be better, but the value for $ (if marketed properly by Hyundai) should bring consumer awareness to the Hyundai brand. New Elantra has some 1st in segment features, plus some features at the moment not available on the current Civic. As far as  engine refinement & transmission plus for the Civic these items being priorities to the consumer who values the driving dynamics etc, play less of role to the average Joes who prioritize value over fun driving dynamics.

Value points standard bits on the new Elantra GLS vs current Civic SE
Fuel Economy
More horsepower
6 spd manual and 6 spd autotranny
More measured passenger space & cargo space
Satellite radio with 6 speakers vs 4 speakers
longer warranty
panic brake assist, standard traction & stability control
security system
delay off headlight system
front fog lights
perimeter and approach lights
rear heated seats
seat material premium material :rofl2:
steering wheel audio controls
bluetooth
trip computer

Like I said there is no way in hell that in Canada that the Elantra will out sell the Civic. Canada is Honda crazy, but that said Canada is Asian car crazy with the Mazda3 and Civic duking it out for the top C segment car sales. And the new Civic will continue to be a winner in Canadian market no doubt about it. And being on a car fan forum most of the points I am making have zero merit as the majority of visitors and members here value the pluses you made for the Civic so for the conversation on this forum yes the Civic is and will going forward be viewed as the more superior car in the C segment in Canada.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:04:14 am by MKII »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 11:39:39 am »
Not saying Elantra is/will be better, but the value for $ (if marketed properly by Hyundai) should bring consumer awareness to the Hyundai brand. New Elantra has some 1st in segment features, plus some features at the moment not available on the current Civic. As far as  engine refinement & transmission plus for the Civic these items being priorities to the consumer who values the driving dynamics etc, play less of role to the average Joes who prioritize value over fun driving dynamics.

Fuel Economy
More horsepower
longer warranty
security system
front fog lights
rear heated seats
bluetooth
trip computer

Like I said there is no way in hell that in Canada that the Elantra will out sell the Civic. Canada is Honda crazy, but that said Canada is Asian car crazy with the Mazda3 and Civic duking it out for the top C segment car sales. And the new Civic will continue to be a winner in Canadian market no doubt about it. And being on a car fan forum most of the points I am making have zero merit as the majority of visitors and members here value the pluses you made for the Civic so for the conversation on this forum yes the Civic is and will going forward be viewed as the more superior car in the C segment in Canada.

Very legit on paper. I'm sure most average buyers will probably see the Elantra as the rational choice even at the same price. How many sales conquests that actually translates into, who knows (a lot depends on dealers, personal views of interior/exterior design, personal biases, etc.), but on paper the Elantra should win.

Now maybe if you want something that drives nicely with a stickshift you go for the Civic or Mazda 3...

kicker

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »
IMO the new Elantra is what the NEXT Civic could of been.

hondroid

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:47 pm »
Euro Civic is your CSX.  The Type R has been discontinued in Europe (too dirty).

IMO Honda Global (automobiles) has been  on a cost cutting mission much the same as Toyota hence the noticeable down grading in materials and cheapening of their vehicles in general IMO.

Next Civic in Canada will no doubt retain its popularity no matter of new style etc, but the new Elantra will most likely grab some of the Civic's current owners. IMO the new Elantra is what the next Civic could of been.
Yep. You are correct. Honda has been cost cutting over recent years. I've seen it first hand. So, don't get your hopes up over the new model.

Other manufacturers have caught up to Honda and have even exceeded Honda in both options, price and quality.  Honda took a nasty hit in early 2009 and is obviously looking to recoup their losses. That included offering buy outs to full time employees and hiring "contract" workers earlier this year. And, as a matter of fact just last week there was a recall on the Honda Pilot. That would fall in line with the same time Honda hired all those contract workers.  You get what you pay for.

Over that last couple of years Toyota has been recall king.  Mark my words Honda isn't to far behind.

To be fair ALL car companies cost cut. They get big, then they look at ways to cut costs further enhancing their profits.

hondroid

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »

Fuel Economy
More horsepower
longer warranty
security system
front fog lights
rear heated seats
bluetooth
trip computer

That's a good comparison. My '11 VW TDI has all those options + 1HP more over the current Civic. Plus 239lbs torque @1750RPM. Whata difference compared to the two year old Civic I just got rid of.  It's like night and day.  However, I have my fingers crossed because VW doesn't have the reliability Honda has, but the VW is one heck of a ride.

kicker

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »
Honda quality went down starting in 2001 , it started by diching their double wishbone suspension
for a cheaper system in their Civic . It was the cost cutting years that still go on till today, they have rested on their laurels too long , when they should have been investing in d.i engines they put it into trying to compete with Toyota on hybrids and failed .
They went back to the drawing board with this next Civic . Time will tell if they will start fighting back . They have the technology they can make him faster stronger .... 6 mill man

mk 11
hey buddy , you wrote it not me , dancing won't do you any good
 quote , catch the last line :

Next Civic in Canada will no doubt retain its popularity no matter of new style etc, but the new Elantra will most likely grab some of the Civic's current owners. IMO the new Elantra is what the next Civic could of been.