Author Topic: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!  (Read 43586 times)

kicker

Re: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »
Eric , you cracked me right up when you said this,
Quote .
 A small car is something you have to drive until you can afford to get a real car.

Eric , it sounds to me that you have never ridden a motorcycle , or maybe had a bad fall off one .
Maybe you simply feel safer with all that steel around you a big car can offer or prefer the couchy comfort a big car can offer .
 I was brought up on bikes . The fun is unending , and you know what ? Some small cars are the next best thing to a bike ! ( I'm 55 by the way , in case you think I'm just some squid ) .
Thats why I like small cars , they can do some of the things a bike can .

Maybe you're a patient driver , good for you . I'm not , nothing I hate more than being stuck in a big car stuck in traffic , when my bike or a small car could disbatch the traffic with ease .
To each his own. I'm not ragging on you , just wanted you to know why some people like small cars . They are very nimble and a blast to drive , fun for zipping in and out of traffic if you're in a hurry too .
The only time I'd like a big car is if I had to spend 90 % of my time on the highway .
But even then I'd prefer to be on my bike in good weather . In big cars you pass through life . On bikes or in small cars you can feel life by what they can do .
Of course people have many reasons for buying a big car . Its just you might be missing out on something by never knowing how much fun a small car can be .

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2010, 06:02:52 pm »

A small car is something you have to drive until you can afford to get a real car. :)

Nothing against cars of all sizes, but your statement above is bold.

Yup. It sure is! :)

So if I chose to drive a sub-compact or compact car because this is what I like, to you it means I cannot afford to buy a full-size? Wow!!!

(sigh)
I figured that the various smileys would make it obvious that I did NOT mean that statement to be taken seriously.

OK then; no biggie.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2010, 06:07:27 pm »
All I'm saying is that the Fiesta and Mazda aren't unwarranted for being on the list.  Nor did I say that you said the Fiesta was crap - there are other people on the board.   Maybe you didn't notice but other people were posting similar things about how they aren't justified to be in the list, or that other cars should have been there in their place.

Suggesting a car shouldn't be on the list is vastly different from saying it is crap.  Discussion of cars that people think should or should not have been included is part of the discussion of any "best" list.  I certainly have not suggested that the Fiesta and the 2 don't belong on the list.

However you did post this:
The Honda Fit didn't make the cut with Canadian Driver, but did with Car and Driver - where the game-changing, class-redefining Fiesta finished dead last.
It's kind of at odds with your previous quote, and I did use that statement in my reply.  I'm not trying to put words in your mouth - but also realize that you seem to be flipflopping before you start trying to make a big deal out of something.

It's not at odds with anything.  Your new word for the day: context.  My overall point was that the hailing of the Fiesta as the class benchmark is far from universal.  Some see it as in a class by itself as a subcompact.  Others - who have conducted simultaneous comparisons and instrumented testing (which Canadian Driver did not) see the Fiesta as trailing both the Fit and the 2.  My overriding point is that while any individual may prefer one of those three cars over the others, they are so closely maatched that it is difficult to understand why one would select two of them to the exclusion of the third - as Canadian Driver has done.

And no, none of this even approaches a "big deal".  It appears that you, like some others, feel that calling into question any of the choices is simply beyond the pale, and therefore you perceive an element of drama where none exists.  Take it easy - there's nothing remotely resembling a "big deal" happening here.  It's a discussion about cars and preferences.  That's something that happens on a car discussion forum.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Honda love u $$$$$

« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2011, 12:08:07 pm »
I am happy to see this list filled with the Mazda2 and Fiesta and Cruze. All good choices and brand new models, thats why you don't see Mazda 3's or Civics or Corollas.

Canadian Driver better watch out...it's going to lose the Honda Advertising!  Maybe they'll review a few Honda's during the year and say they are the best thing since sliced bread.  Don't worry management Honda will keep advertising, if you do that!

Offline crwpitman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • My artwork
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:48 am »
All I'm saying is that the Fiesta and Mazda aren't unwarranted for being on the list.  Nor did I say that you said the Fiesta was crap - there are other people on the board.   Maybe you didn't notice but other people were posting similar things about how they aren't justified to be in the list, or that other cars should have been there in their place.

Suggesting a car shouldn't be on the list is vastly different from saying it is crap.  Discussion of cars that people think should or should not have been included is part of the discussion of any "best" list.  I certainly have not suggested that the Fiesta and the 2 don't belong on the list.

However you did post this:
The Honda Fit didn't make the cut with Canadian Driver, but did with Car and Driver - where the game-changing, class-redefining Fiesta finished dead last.
It's kind of at odds with your previous quote, and I did use that statement in my reply.  I'm not trying to put words in your mouth - but also realize that you seem to be flipflopping before you start trying to make a big deal out of something.

It's not at odds with anything.  Your new word for the day: context.  My overall point was that the hailing of the Fiesta as the class benchmark is far from universal.  Some see it as in a class by itself as a subcompact.  Others - who have conducted simultaneous comparisons and instrumented testing (which Canadian Driver did not) see the Fiesta as trailing both the Fit and the 2.  My overriding point is that while any individual may prefer one of those three cars over the others, they are so closely maatched that it is difficult to understand why one would select two of them to the exclusion of the third - as Canadian Driver has done.

And no, none of this even approaches a "big deal".  It appears that you, like some others, feel that calling into question any of the choices is simply beyond the pale, and therefore you perceive an element of drama where none exists.  Take it easy - there's nothing remotely resembling a "big deal" happening here.  It's a discussion about cars and preferences.  That's something that happens on a car discussion forum.

Jaeger

Me calling it crap was sensationalizing everyone's thoughts I admit.  I choose those words because everyone has been seeming to get their panties in a knot over certain choices by the city.  I was merely trying to illustrate that the Fiesta is not without it's merits.  I fail to see how my comments are trying to incite drama, at least any more than yours.  Please don't paint me as a whiner simply because I disagreed with you.  I'm sure you'll come up with a response to this, but whatever.

I suppose everyone has to hold their opinions until the actually drive the cars themselves.  My opinions of the Fit may be a bit antiquated - I drove one from the previous generation new, and although it drove well and was roomy and was flexible, I also found the interior to be a bit cheap.  The materials were textured nicely I suppose, but it didn't feel substantial, like it wouldn't hold together with years of use.  I think I'm just happy to see that cars like the Fiesta and Cruze are bringing more quality to smaller cars, as that's what I like to drive.

They may not be better from a driving dynamics standpoint, but at least they're raising the bar in other aspects.

Excuse my english here - I'm in a rush had haven't had coffee today.  No time to proofread.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2011, 08:37:50 am »
Me calling it crap was sensationalizing everyone's thoughts I admit.  I choose those words because everyone has been seeming to get their panties in a knot over certain choices by the city.   I was merely trying to illustrate that the Fiesta is not without it's merits.  I fail to see how my comments are trying to incite drama, at least any more than yours.  Please don't paint me as a whiner simply because I disagreed with you.  I'm sure you'll come up with a response to this, but whatever.

Have that coffee, come back and read my post again.  I didn't say your comments were "trying to incite drama".  I said your comments reveal that you misperceive the presence of drama where none exists - as your "panties" remark further demonstrates.  Suggesting that some vehicles should have been included / excluded is not "everyone getting their panties in a knot".  It's just people discussing the list. Not everyone is going to agree with the choices, and they will say so and say why.  That's not drama, that's just what happens on a car discussion forum.

On second thought, maybe pass on that coffee and grab some caffeine-free herbal tea. Maybe that will help you calm down some.

Jaeger