Author Topic: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!  (Read 43587 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »
Perhaps I was inusufficiently clear.  What other people think doesn't much influence my purchase decision - otherwise I wouldn't be considering a Hyundai, which draws nothing but scorn from forum snobs.  My point was that with BMW, a desire for an impressive badge would NOT be the reason I choose it over an SHO, because to the extent that the badge has any influence at all, in the case of the BMW it would not be a positive influence for me.  I would choose a long list of SHO-alternatives - both up and down in price - because the SHO really doesn't appeal to me at all.  Not because certain competitors have better brand appeal.

I certainly wouldn't say "I'd never own a BMW under any circumstances."  But like Rolex, it's a brand with baggage - good and bad.  Both are a valid choice of informed enthusiasts.  Both are also the popular choice amongst pretentious gits with pathetic self-esteem issues, looking to make a "statement" with their showy purchase.  Is this a deciding factor in the purchase decision?  No.  But then again, I own Omega, IWC, JLC and Blancpain.  I don't own a Rolex.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

kicker

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:25:05 pm by kicker »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2010, 08:11:23 pm »
BMW owners come in all types

I never suggested otherwise.

Jaeger

CatsEye68

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »
But then again, I own Omega, IWC, JLC and Blancpain.  I don't own a Rolex.

Maybe if you had bought a Rolex, you wouldn't have needed to buy those other 4.  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:18 pm »

Maybe if you had bought a Rolex, you wouldn't have needed to buy those other 4.  :rofl2:

Not hardly.

Jaeger

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:46 pm »
Everyone to their own.

I'd take the BMW any time even at $20k more.  I like a spartan clean crisp interior. The current 5-er has clean lines outside as well with little ornamentation.

Likewise. There is a world of difference between a hotted up Taurus and a new 5 Series. And those that would take the Ford and $20K will miss a superior driving experience. But, that's their choice...... ::)

And those that won't buy a BMW because of the "badge"; well, I feel sorry for you in that you are being just as much of a "badge-snob" as those that do buy BMWs for the status (and it does happen today). There are drivers who actually prefer the driving experience of a BMW, imagine that..!!

Well yeah, I think that goes without saying.  I really don't think that is news of any sort.  I think you missed the point as I don't recall anyone saying that the driving experience of the SHO is in the same category of the 5 series
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

hondroid

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2010, 08:32:03 am »
I'm not a fan of this kind of vehicle but I would have thought the Nissan Juke was good enough and novel enough to make the list.

Merry Christmas to all,
John Meyer

Is this the real John Meyer?  I Like your style of guitar playing, very SRV, who is king of rock/blues.

hondroid

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2010, 08:38:52 am »

Not hardly.

Jaeger

Hey, I own a Omega Seamaster. Love their watches.  Rolex is over rated. They use a harder/purer stainless steel in their watches, and that's about it.  The Chinese have watered down the brand because of their knockoffs.

richink

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:43 am »
Hi there,

Never posted yet but I have to say something now that I see this list. I have always held a large amount of respect for the folks at Canadian Driver, but this article brings it all into question. Agreed there are opinions to everything, I think that with all the good cars out there, some choices could have been better with an obvious lean to products from Ford.

Mazda 2 / Ford Fiesta - SAME CAR! How can you nominate these vehicles as separate and different models?

Ford Fusion - unchanged vehicle for the past 6 years, 8 year old Mazda platform. Ok decent car for Ford, but all borrowed technology from Mazda that is now aging. Uninteresting.

Ford Taurus - COME ON!!! This is an 11-year old Volvo platform that Ford first couldn't sell under the "Five Hundred" nameplate and when changed to "Taurus" and a few borrowed technologies from Mazda and Volvo were added, they are now selling a few. This is still an unintersting, aged, mish-mash of borrowed technologies from other companies.

Rounding out the list is another uninspired itteration of the Mustang that now features reverse-engineered BMW and Audi engines. Ford innovation at it's best!

Wait a sec... 7 out of these nominated vehicles are either Ford or joint Ford products. Coincidence? I wonder what Ford's contra-advertising budget with Canadian Driver is??? HMMM....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2010, 09:04:30 am »

Mazda 2 / Ford Fiesta - SAME CAR! How can you nominate these vehicles as separate and different models?

I bet you read that on the Internet so it must be true.  ;D

CatsEye68

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:52 am »
Wait a sec... 7 out of these nominated vehicles are either Ford or joint Ford products. Coincidence? I wonder what Ford's contra-advertising budget with Canadian Driver is??? HMMM....

It's gotta be a lot less than Hyundai, Kia and Subaru if ad budgets dictate the amount of praise handed out around here... :rofl2:

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2010, 09:16:32 am »
After one year in service, the hot-selling 2010 Ford Taurus is commanding impressive results at auction, posting an average 39 percent increase in resale value – or $7,100 – over the 2009 model.

“In the first half of 2010, Taurus retail sales were up 154 percent over the first half of 2009"
Agree with the it's a BIG car, but you have to admit it is a night and day difference from where it was a year ago (rental supreme). With the vehicle’s best-in-class quality, upscale design and state-of-the-art technology has resulted in a sharp improvement for the brand,” at least in some eyes, obviously not in the majority of CanadianDriver forum posters here.

@richink Fiesta-Mazda2 being the same car comment gives insight into you lack of knowledge in this matter, hence the rest of your comments rather silly.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:08:42 am by MKII »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23:13 am »
Fusion was recently updated,

Mazda2 / Fiesta aren't even close to being the same car.

Taurus was redesigned recently.

Mustang?  How can anyone complain about this miracle of awesomeness.

There is no conspiracy towards Ford except that they are building amazing cars lately that offer great value.  Have you driven a Ford ... lately?

P.S.  5 years ago Ford was on my UGH list, now I'd consider buying many of their vehicles.  Personally I could see myself purchasing, Fusion (hybrid probably), Fiesta, Mustang, F150.

hemusbull

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:09 am »

Jaeger is right, but I wish to add - there is no "pier 1" manufacturer like Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus or Infinity (I appologise, Subaru) - this article is like paid TV commercials for Christmas.  C'mon, not all population is drunk! CD is more and more freelance job for money instead professional expertise. It is time to create Canadian independent public body to pay writers and represent vehicles, not their manufacturers, you know what I mean. Otherwise, there should be a big warning sign "personal opinion"!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2010, 09:52:02 am »
Gov sponsored, sounds great!

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:46 am »

Jaeger is right, but I wish to add - there is no "pier 1" manufacturer like Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus or Infinity (I appologise, Subaru) - this article is like paid TV commercials for Christmas.  C'mon, not all population is drunk! CD is more and more freelance job for money instead professional expertise. It is time to create Canadian independent public body to pay writers and represent vehicles, not their manufacturers, you know what I mean. Otherwise, there should be a big warning sign "personal opinion"!

Strike 1 for agreeing with Jaeger whom behaves & posts in such a manner as to create a false appearance of great importance or worth. (thank god for the ignore function)
Strike 2 for insulting the writers of CanadianDriver, whom IMO are a breath of fresh air in comparison to whom you refer to as the porfessional expertise writers which I would have to assume to be Car & Driver/Motor Trend.

Best if you do not appreciate the opinions of CanadianDriver to move on and stick the with the "real" unbiased folks over at Car & Driver and Motor Trend. :rofl2:

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2010, 10:57:36 am »

Strike 1 for agreeing with Jaeger whom behaves & posts in such a manner as to create a false appearance of great importance or worth. (thank god for the ignore function)
Strike 2 for insulting the writers of CanadianDriver, whom IMO are a breath of fresh air in comparison to whom you refer to as the porfessional expertise writers which I would have to assume to be Car & Driver/Motor Trend.

Best if you do not appreciate the opinions of CanadianDriver to move on and stick the with the "real" unbiased folks over at Car & Driver and Motor Trend. :rofl2:

No offense intended to anyone, but what exactly makes the writers of CanadianDriver a 'breath of fresh air'? Other than James who explains and defends his opinions in the forums, what's so special about every other writer on CanadianDriver?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2010, 11:01:08 am »
I don't get people around here saying "big car" as if it were a bad thing. There are a lot of us out there who think big cars are awesome. A small car is something you have to drive until you can afford to get a real car. :)

Again, nothing at all wrong with this list that I can see. Would my list have looked exactly the same? Likely not. But those are all quality vehicles in that group, and to suggest that somehow the good folks at Canadian Driver just put these cars on the list because they were paid to do it is reprehensible.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:19 am »
I don't get people around here saying "big car" as if it were a bad thing. There are a lot of us out there who think big cars are awesome. A small car is something you have to drive until you can afford to get a real car. :)

Again, nothing at all wrong with this list that I can see. Would my list have looked exactly the same? Likely not. But those are all quality vehicles in that group, and to suggest that somehow the good folks at Canadian Driver just put these cars on the list because they were paid to do it is reprehensible.
^^ agreed.

i might have a few different vehicles on my list, but let's face it, there are so many great cars now, it's pretty tough to say anything is awful...a far cry from 20 years ago.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

richink

« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:58 am »
Wing,

Respect where respect is due, always, first before insulting someone's intelligence, know that I was in the auto industry for 8 years and I know how it works. As an auto enthusiast I have the chance to drive many vehicles and stop by showrooms to look at all cars.

Fusion was re-styled, yet remains an 8 year old Mazda 6 at heart. Nothing new here. On paper a Sonata hybrid blows the doors off the Fusion hybrid.

The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are the same car. Same shared DE platform, virtually identical wheelbase and track, same engine placement, similar pricing. OK different engines, packages and badge on the front - they have to be different somehow. As far as "aren't even close to the same car", who told you that? Mazda / Ford executives? Come on...

Taurus was re-styled. This is an old NA manufacturer ploy. It's still an 11 year old, previous generation, Volvo S80 platform underneath. Nothing new or exciting really unless you count the wrapping. Lots of cars to be had in it's price class, $50k for an SHO is a joke. For that there are so many other cars in the marketplace that are so much more than a Ford.

Drove a 2011 V8 Mustang lately for 3 days between and around Montreal / Quebec City. Typical jittery suspension, bad fit & finish, cheap monotone plastics, annoying hair trigger throttle (almost undriveable in traffic) and mushy frame that will go soft after 50,000 kms. So yes, I have driven one and many other cars lately!

All Ford car platforms are borrowed or co-engineered with other manufacturers because their corporate teams are too busy dealing with unions, advertising and lawyers rather than focusing on design and innovation. Technologies are purchased, raped or borrowed similarly. Ford will sell many of these cars to an uneducated public via cheezy advertising, interest rates and other similar ploys.