Author Topic: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!  (Read 43613 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
Okay why are we even discussing the Honda Fit in its present design?It was introduced in the fall of 2008 as a 2009 model. It shouldn't be a top pick for 2011,even though it is still competitive.

The Canadian Driver list was NOT restricted to 2011 models only.  And some rather prominent publications thought the Fit was considerably better than "still competitive", even if this one didn't.  Discussion of a "best" list inherently involves a discussion of vehicles some think shouldn't have been included and of vehicles some think shouldn't have been excluded.  I'm not really sure where your objection lies.

Jaeger

It  should be cars that have been recently upgraded in the last year in my opinion. Maybe my 06 MX5 or 07 Fit should qualify then. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2010, 11:06:42 am »
It  should be cars that have been recently upgraded in the last year in my opinion. Maybe my 06 MX5 or 07 Fit should qualify then. ;D

Hey man, I didn't set the rules:

Quote from: Canadian Driver 2011 Top Picks
"Our Top Picks are chosen from a broad range of vehicle classes, and to be fair to the many new vehicles available in the market, we considered every new vehicle sold in Canada, not just all-new or redesigned models,” says editor, Greg Wilson.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:10:33 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2010, 11:42:12 am »
The problem with the list the way I see it is in the fact it is based on the "enthusiastic" driving experience of a group of jorno's that didn't have to pay for their souped up rides.
If they actually had to pay for them and live with them, factors other than cornering ability and some bells and whistles in their fully loaded cars would all of a sudden move much higher on the priority list.
The novelty of the Fiesta paired with the good ride swayed them from giving the Fit another look.

When it came to making my own personal decision, I picked the Fit. Why? because once the novelty factor wears off (all too quickly) I don't want to be stuck with the less practical choice in the Fiesta, so I picked the proven super practical and reliable Fit that will still command respect and great resale value after 3 years.

Having driven it for over a month now, I never had the buyers remorse (which I did with every other new car I bought before), and having seen the Fiesta on the roads, I am not even curious to take it out on a test drive.

I did want to take the Cruze for a test drive but when I sat in one (not the souped up top of the line expensive version), and studied the spec sheet more closely, I lost interest. Your mileage may vary.

Voting with your wallet make a big difference. I don't care all that much about this list because it is completely meaningless to me because I don't throw my cars into corners at double posted speed limits.

Still provides for fun reading during the daily 5-minute bathroom break :)

kicker

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »
Thats interesting because the Fit is a drivers car , fun to drive , in words of a sub compact car comparison in 2007 at Driving Television , people picked the Fit as no.1 saying things like it was the one most like a sports car , the most fun to drive , had the most features was solid and well built , felt more expensive than it was , had great space for cargo, clever with its magic seats  with a good rep and resale value .
The Fit is a great car , the 2009 remake only made it better .
If it looked like a coupe , got better gas mileage ( had a d.i. motor ) had less body roll , was quieter I might have bought one myself .
Lists like this are interesting , you just have to decide if any of the cars on it meet your needs . The Fit your needs , ewho gives a hoot if its not on the list , the only person it has to please is you , that's why you bought it . There is no right or wrong , everybodies needs and preferences are different . If they weren't we'd all be using the same tooth paste
watching the same type of movies . WHAT  if everyone only liked chic flicks , and thats all that studios ever made ! Movies like Avatar would never have been made .

Offline nbtoab

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2010, 04:05:35 pm »
For those who are wondering, here's a few cars that should have been on that list:

BMW X3 - much improved and considerably better then the Mercedes GLK

Dodge Journey V6 - much improved interior, handling and engine - a budget Grand Cherokee that handles well

Subaru Forester - Noteworthy improvements to a mini SUV that outflanks many Euro mini SUVs and a much better choice than the Subaru Legacy.

Subaru WRX - The fact that they made many improvements to this model should have made it a no brainer for this list

Audi A4 - I haven't seen too many S4s around but you sure see alot of A4s with smiling drivers

VW Tiguan - This has to have been some sort of mistake that you missed this - way more fun and way cheaper than the Mercedes GLK

Mercedes SLS - That second Porsche 911 should have been this - way more expensive and way more extravert

Camaro - Sales stats don't lie - it buried the Mustang this year - with good reason.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »
As cool as the sls is, after you drive one you unfortunately no longer long for it.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2010, 04:56:20 pm »
As cool as the sls is, after you drive one you unfortunately no longer long for it.

?

:(

You are tearing my dreams apart here wing.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »
So seriously, has this been 5 pages of bashing on Canadian Driver for not putting the freakin' Honda Fit in there? Move on people... I'm surprised there's only 1 pickup truck on here (and its an F150 not the more commonly highly regarded new Dodge) and I'd take a Nissan GT-R over "oh hey look ANOTHER 911". Its a fraction the price and doesn't scream small winky like a 911.

A driver's car list?! No way - not a single Corvette on here either. Thought value/performance were big priorities here?

Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson should have been a single entry to make room one of the competition as that category has TONS of really good vehicles in it.

And whats with the hate on for the new Taurus?! Granted the "lesser" models might seem a pricey but for the SHO model in particular - SHO me another AWD vehicle with near 400hp, fantastic luxury and sexy styling for anywhere near 50k.

You guys have a quota for how many posts you need per year or something and were several hundred short weren't you!? :) In all seriousness way to stir the pot and looking forward to another year of b!tching! :)  :cheers:
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »

And whats with the hate on for the new Taurus?! Granted the "lesser" models might seem a pricey but for the SHO model in particular - SHO me another AWD vehicle with near 400hp, fantastic luxury and sexy styling for anywhere near 50k.

The Taurus SE starts at $28k, which doesn't seam bad at all for a full sized car. I don't get the hate either.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

CatsEye68

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2010, 01:40:57 pm »

The Taurus SE starts at $28k, which doesn't seam bad at all for a full sized car. I don't get the hate either.

The category it is in was "luxury car" and I don't think a mouse-fur upholstered SE qualifies as a competitor to a BMW 5-series.

Go to the SHO and you are looking at a car that is about $60K on the road incl. sales tax. It is inefficient in its use of space, heavy and questionably-styled. And it gets you absolutely zero status from the badge-conscious among us. Yes, it does move well for such a large heavy vehicle (sort of like "you sweat less than any other fat girls I've danced with") but I will never be convinced it belongs in this category or on this list.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2010, 02:09:24 pm »
The category it is in was "luxury car" and I don't think a mouse-fur upholstered SE qualifies as a competitor to a BMW 5-series.

Go to the SHO and you are looking at a car that is about $60K on the road incl. sales tax. It is inefficient in its use of space, heavy and questionably-styled. And it gets you absolutely zero status from the badge-conscious among us. Yes, it does move well for such a large heavy vehicle (sort of like "you sweat less than any other fat girls I've danced with") but I will never be convinced it belongs in this category or on this list.

Would never compare an SE vs. 5 series for a plethora of reasons - but SHO in particular I think is a legit contender in this segment. Yes its more than 200lbs heavier but a 535 with all wheel drive is going to run you almost 75k by the time you roll in your sales tax where as the SHO would be closer to 55k with taxes. (not sure how you came up with 60k unless you started checking options) Styling is subjective of course and I'm sick and tired of the standard BMW look - they're getting to be as bad as Toyota and Honda with their ho-hum styling. You've got a legit argument with regards to the "badge-conscious" - but I've never been one to go with the flow... Factor in reliability and I think its seriously good bang for the buck.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »

Would never compare an SE vs. 5 series for a plethora of reasons - but SHO in particular I think is a legit contender in this segment. Yes its more than 200lbs heavier but a 535 with all wheel drive is going to run you almost 75k by the time you roll in your sales tax where as the SHO would be closer to 55k with taxes. (not sure how you came up with 60k unless you started checking options) Styling is subjective of course and I'm sick and tired of the standard BMW look - they're getting to be as bad as Toyota and Honda with their ho-hum styling. You've got a legit argument with regards to the "badge-conscious" - but I've never been one to go with the flow... Factor in reliability and I think its seriously good bang for the buck.

Agree on all points.  I'd take a SHO along with the $20k savings over the bimmer any day.  But like you, I am not badge conscious whatsoever.  The SHO is a great bang for you buck for what you are getting. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Bryan

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:44 pm »
ummm how about the Volvo s60!!!! it's amazing and the T6 engine one wardsauto top 10 ok confusing also the Volvo xc60 wow i think this is off by a mile

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2010, 03:02:26 pm »
For those who are wondering, here's a few cars that should have been on that list:

Thanks. I had always felt incomplete without you around to sort that out for us. :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »
Agree on all points.  I'd take a SHO along with the $20k savings over the bimmer any day.  But like you, I am not badge conscious whatsoever.  The SHO is a great bang for you buck for what you are getting. 

I wouldn't - and not because of any badge-consciousness.  If anything, I'd generally avoid a BWM just out of a desire NOT to be associated with the shallow, pretentious twits who place badge appeal above all else.  I'd pass on an SHO simply because I have no interest in a sporting sedan that's as tall as an SUV and as long as a schoolbus.  Just not my thing.  For that coin, my dollars would likely go to an Infiniti G37 or whatever Audi comes in at that sticker.

LOVE that blown 6 in the Ford.  Hate just about everything they decided to wrap it in.

Jaeger

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:15 pm »

I wouldn't - and not because of any badge-consciousness.  If anything, I'd generally avoid a BWM just out of a desire NOT to be associated with the shallow, pretentious twits who place badge appeal above all else.  I'd pass on an SHO simply because I have no interest in a sporting sedan that's as tall as an SUV and as long as a schoolbus.  Just not my thing.  For that coin, my dollars would likely go to an Infiniti G37 or whatever Audi comes in at that sticker.

LOVE that blown 6 in the Ford.  Hate just about everything they decided to wrap it in.

Jaeger

I hear what you are saying.  If I was in the market for a "Sport" sedan once again, I wouldn't be looking at either the SHO or the bimmer.  But if I were to choose between the SHO and a 5 series bimmer at $20k more, I would definitely take the SHO.  Personally, I just can't get into most bimmers.  I find their looks very generic on the outside and their interiors are extremely spartan and sterile on the inside.  Everything is subjective though.  I do think that the SHO offers a lot of bang for your buck compared to others in the same price range. 

So if I was in the market for a sporty sedan again, it would more than likely be another Infiniti G or possibly an S4 (although much more $). 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »
Everyone to their own.

I'd take the BMW any time even at $20k more.  I like a spartan clean crisp interior. The current 5-er has clean lines outside as well with little ornamentation.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2010, 06:01:53 pm »
Everyone to their own.

I'd take the BMW any time even at $20k more.  I like a spartan clean crisp interior. The current 5-er has clean lines outside as well with little ornamentation.

Likewise. There is a world of difference between a hotted up Taurus and a new 5 Series. And those that would take the Ford and $20K will miss a superior driving experience. But, that's their choice...... ::)

And those that won't buy a BMW because of the "badge"; well, I feel sorry for you in that you are being just as much of a "badge-snob" as those that do buy BMWs for the status (and it does happen today). There are drivers who actually prefer the driving experience of a BMW, imagine that..!!

2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

kicker

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2010, 06:18:09 pm »
I wouldn't - and not because of any badge-consciousness.  If anything, I'd generally avoid a BWM just out of a desire NOT to be associated with the shallow, pretentious twits who place badge appeal above all else. End quote .

I wouldn't buy a BMW because I can't afford one . Couldn't afford the up keep either .
They are also not as reliable as I would like .
But they have no doubt made some really great cars . I disagree with your statement above .
If I could afford one and the up keep I might buy one . Maybe try the new M 1 .
Maybe you should try not to care so much about what other people think of you . I'm sure the people who own BMW's don't care what you think . Most of them any way , just spotted that more recent post as I type this .

CatsEye68

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »
I wouldn't - and not because of any badge-consciousness.  If anything, I'd generally avoid a BWM just out of a desire NOT to be associated with the shallow, pretentious twits who place badge appeal above all else. 

For that coin, my dollars would likely go to an Infiniti G37 or whatever Audi comes in at that sticker.

According to Clarkson at Top Gear, the "shallow, pretentious twits" in the UK have moved from BMW to Audi.