Author Topic: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!  (Read 43589 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:06:21 am »

Click to here to read about CanadianDriver's second annual Top Picks! These are 23 vehicles, ranging from subcompacts, to pickups to luxury cars, that we think are the best you can buy.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: CanadianDriver announces its Top Picks for 2011!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:06:39 am »
I'm not a fan of this kind of vehicle but I would have thought the Nissan Juke was good enough and novel enough to make the list.

Merry Christmas to all,
John Meyer

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 07:32:58 am »
I don't understand this list...

“These are the cars and trucks we think you’ll be happy to own and drive, and when all is said and done, that’s what’s most important,” says Wilson.

Then you see the Mazda2 and Fiesta, but not the Honda Fit? Uh, what? And what about the compact car segment? I see only the Cruze and Golf that qualify as compact cars... no Mazda3?

Hard to disagree with all the entires on the list... just wondering how come popular and proven vehicles such as the Fit and Mazda3 aren't included, while new and unproven vehicles like the Cruze, Mazda2 and Fiesta are. What if those turn out to be really unreliable early on? Will the owners be happy to own and drive them, then?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:37:40 am »
For those wondering what the Top 23 cars are, here's a list I divided by segment:

Sub-compact car
Mazda2
Ford Fiesta

Compact car
Chevrolet Cruze
Volkswagen Golf

Family car
Hyundai Sonata/Sonata Hybrid
Ford Fusion
Subaru Legacy

CUV/SUV
Kia Sportage
Hyundai Tucson
Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class
Ford Edge
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Volkswagen Touareg
Porsche Cayenne

Truck
Ford F-150

Luxury car
Ford Taurus
Hyundai Genesis
BMW 5 Series

Performance/Sports car
Ford Mustang
BMW 135
Audi S4
Porsche 911
Porsche 911 Turbo S

markrover

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:51:44 am »
Some dubious entries... some manufacturers have numerous "winners", while some have none at all. Ford is represented no less than 5 times. I am supposed to believe that?

Porsche Cayenne? At the very least it is overpriced, therefore this Porsche Tourag would fail for the same reasons the VW would pass.

Ford Taurus? This overstyled and huge car has been more of a flop on both sides of the border. When was the last time you saw a Taurus?

Ford Fusion? To be honest, this is an average sedan- not bad, but not special by any means. That is the general impression of many reviewers.

Somewhat of a worthless list. People buy cars for practical and emotional reasons.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:10:27 am »
I don't understand this list...

“These are the cars and trucks we think you’ll be happy to own and drive, and when all is said and done, that’s what’s most important,” says Wilson.

Then you see the Mazda2 and Fiesta, but not the Honda Fit?

Yep - the Fit is considerd pretty much of a huge success most places, but here at C/D, it doesn't rate.  Though the oldest of the three, it has still managed to win comparison tests against the Fiesta and Mazda 2 - and a top 10 slot on the Car and Driver list - but here at C/D, it's chopped liver.  Conversely, the Fiesta - which is a very good car indeed, but in the opinion of several publications, one that ranks behind BOTH the Fit and 2, is elevated to a vehicle which "redefines the segment" here at C/D.

Again, the Fit, 2 and Fiesta are all very good subcompacts offering a slightly different mix of virtues which might justify the preference of one over the others by any individual purchaser.  But to dismiss the Fit as not even being in the same league as the Fiesta and 2 borders on the absurd.  Nope, it crosses that border.

But hey, that's not NEARLY so crazy as the exclusion of the Buick Regal - now there is a re-definishing watershed sports sedan!   :rofl:

Jaeger

PS - Taurus.... seriously??????
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 08:29:27 am »
As stated in the begining of the article, this is the CanadianDriver.com list. Period.
The list includes what they like.

Why would you expect they should have the same preferences as you or other magazine?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 08:37:50 am by carcrazy »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:14 am »
As stated in the begining of the article, this is CanadianDriver.com list. Period.

Why would you expect they should have the same preferences as you or other magazine?

I don't have that expectation - I'm just making an observation that C/D's worship of the Fiesta and disdain for the Fit are far from universal - and expressing my own opinion as to the merits of their choice.

Or perhaps you believe that because the list reflects 'their opinion, Period!' nobody should be permitted to advance a contrary view?  Admittedly, that would make for a short and uniform discussion - but that's not really the point of a car discussion forum, is it?

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 08:47:12 am »
As stated in the begining of the article, this is the CanadianDriver.com list. Period.

Based on what? Who gives them loaners to try out more often?

Offline AirCanada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mitsubishi Galant ES, 2010 Mitsubishi Endeavour LS
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 08:48:14 am »
I am happy to see this list filled with the Mazda2 and Fiesta and Cruze. All good choices and brand new models, thats why you don't see Mazda 3's or Civics or Corollas.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:49:52 am »
I am happy to see this list filled with the Mazda2 and Fiesta and Cruze. All good choices and brand new models, thats why you don't see Mazda 3's or Civics or Corollas.

But they said they were considering all new cars for 2011, not only the all-new or redesigned.

But I think I now understand why they didn't put the Fit next to the Mazda2 and Fiesta... Honda hasn't sent them a Fit to try out in over 2 years... if they don't receive a car to try out every other month, they forget about it pretty quickly, apparently.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 09:20:42 am »
The fit was on the list actually it just didn't make the final cut.  We started with all 300+ cars on the market then paired it down to this list.  Then each of us (individually) voted for our favourites and then makes the top 20.  There were 3 ties, hence the extra cars.

Not every car can make the list obviously -- here's our first draft.  I of course knew the list would be hammered on, just like every other list that goes out  :rofl2:

SMALL
Chevrolet Cruze
Mazda2
Mazda3
Toyota Yaris sedan
Volkswagen Golf
Volkswagen Jetta
Ford Fiesta
Honda Civic
Honda Fit
Kia Soul
Subaru Impreza
Volkswagen Golf wagon

FAMILY
Buick LaCrosse
Ford Taurus
Toyota Avalon
Hyundai Sonata/Sonata Hybrid
Buick Regal
Toyota Prius
Ford Fusion
Subaru Legacy

SPORTS HIGH
Audi A4
Audi A5 Coupe
Mercedes-Benz C63
Porsche 911
BMW Z4
Audi S4
Nissan 370Z
Cadillac CTS-V
Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
Subaru Impreza Sti

SPORTS LOW
Ford Mustang
Mini Cooper
Volkswagen GTI
BMW 135 coupe
Honda CR-Z

LUXURY CAR
Cadillac CTS sedan/wagon
BMW 5 Series
Hyundai Genesis
Hyundai Equus
Infiniti G37
Mercedes-Benz E-Class cab
Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan
Infiniti M
Toyota Avalon

SUV/CUV HIGH
Audi Q5
Ford Flex
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mercedes-Benz GLK
Volkswagen Touareg
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Porsche Cayenne

SUV/CUV LOW
Ford Edge
Nissan Juke
Kia Sportage
Chevrolet Equinox
Hyundai Tucson

PRESTIGE
Audi R8 V10 Spyder
Audi A8
Porsche Panamera
Porsche 911 Turbo
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

LIGHT TRUCK
Dodge Ram 1500
Ford F-150
Ford F-Series Super Duty
Toyota Sienna
Ford Transit Connect

CatsEye68

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 09:23:50 am »
Some dubious entries... some manufacturers have numerous "winners", while some have none at all. Ford is represented no less than 5 times. I am supposed to believe that?

Porsche Cayenne? At the very least it is overpriced, therefore this Porsche Tourag would fail for the same reasons the VW would pass.

Ford Taurus? This overstyled and huge car has been more of a flop on both sides of the border. When was the last time you saw a Taurus?

Ford Fusion? To be honest, this is an average sedan- not bad, but not special by any means. That is the general impression of many reviewers.

Somewhat of a worthless list. People buy cars for practical and emotional reasons.

Concur. The Taurus? Come on. The Cayenne? The Sportage AND the Tucson? The Legacy? And a PAIR of 911s?

Must have been one hell of a Christmas party the night they came up with this list. ::)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 09:30:36 am »
Weak. Isn't a Top Pick supposed to be just one vehicle in every category? It would also be nice to see some meaningful explanation on how e.g. the Edge made it and the Sorento isn't even mentioned among the contenders, let alone recommended, despite its superior power/weight ratio, styling (IMO), smooth and refined powertrain and arguably an overall better deal.
They should rename the list to "cars we drove and they seemed all right"
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 09:36:47 am »
I think the list is better than last years.  Much more desirable cars this year!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/12/24/canadiandriver-com-announces-top-picks-for-2010.htm?page=all

canuck901

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 09:41:03 am »
weak picks by Canadian driver,  funny how Car and Driver rates the 2011 Honda Fit as one of it's top 10 best cars and MSN AUTO both rate the 2011 Fiesta and Mazda 2 far below the 2011 honda fit.
here's the MSN auto review.

Below is the msn review....

At first blush, I must be nuts to swim against the tide by criticizing the Ford Fiesta. Yes, it's a smartly designed subcompact that is bound to convert a lot of Americans into small-car disciples (we Canucks are already anointed). It's nicely refined and packed with innovative features, including an optional six-speed, dual-clutch automatic transmission. Priced from $16,799 for the hatchback, Ford will sell a million of 'em in every retina-scorching colour they have.

But here's the thing: I can't fit in it. Okay, I'm big, but then again so is the average North American - and we're growing bigger. The front seats are decent enough, but when I try to squeeze through one of the rear apertures to the back seat, I'm astonished by the lack of space. How did this escape the notice of any right-thinking journo? The fact is, if you're going to drop $20,000 on a gas-saving hatchback you have a right to expect to transport four adults in reasonable comfort. On this count, the Fiesta fails miserably. I had planned to buy one (used) in a few years' time when my daughter earns her licence. Instead, hello Honda Fit - which does. -- Mark Toljagic for MSN Autos

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 09:42:57 am »
Who's Mark Toljagic, never heard of him.

So you take 1 nobodies opinion of our collective 6?  :rofl:

I knew today's list would be a blood bath, how could it be anything else?  Where's the blood bath against Motortrend and car and driver's list again, They had totally different cars and were hammered as well.  Sounds to me like any car that made the list was bound to be discounted.   :rofl2:

My personal top 20.

Chevrolet Cruze
Ford Fiesta Hatchback
Mazda 3
Buick Regal <-- OH OH!
Hyundai Sonata/Hybrid
Toyota Avalon
Audi A5 Coupe
BMW 5 Series Sedan
Ford Mustang/Shelby
Subaru Impreza STi
Nissan 370Z
Audi Q5
Ford Edge
Kia Sportage
Toyota Sienna
Volkswagen Touareg
Porsche Cayenne
Porsche Panamera
Audi R8 V10/Cabrio
Ford F-150
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:46:45 am by wing »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 09:43:16 am »
Not every car can make the list obviously -- here's our first draft.  I of course knew the list would be hammered on, just like every other list that goes out  :rofl2:

Well, exactly.  :)  If you all weren't willing to accept criticism of the choices, you wouldn't have started a thread on the subject.  Not everyone gets that point, though - as basic as it is.

Jaeger

canuck901

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 09:46:08 am »
here read this review from msn auto

...autos.ca.msn.com/specials/buyers-guide/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=26838278&page=4....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 09:49:07 am »
:thumbup:  Great job!  Its always nice to read a list that pisses off so many people just because they don't agree with it. So guess what, start your own freak'n thread with your own list and be done with it. Never seen so many  :'( babies in my life.