Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Nissan Quest  (Read 17512 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: First Drive: 2011 Nissan Quest
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 04:12:48 pm »
Powered by a 260-horsepower version of Nissan’s VQ-series V6 engine (up 10 per cent compared with the outgoing model), and mated to a continuously variable transmission,...NEXT!   :shake:;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:45:27 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »
Why not? Does it cost the manufacturers more to put a manual mode in? A hundred dollars maybe? The Sienna SE trim level is targeted as a sporty minivan with 19" rims, firmer sport tuned suspension (rides an inch lower than the normal Sienna trim levels), and sport tuned handling. Of course it's no Mazda 5, it's still a big minivan, but it's not bad.

Oh yea, CVT... but why did my friend's Lancer GT with CVT come with paddle shifters?? Preset fake gears??

Anyone notice the weight of the Quest? 5818 lbs??? Is that including the weight of the passengers or something?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 04:55:32 pm »

Anyone notice the weight of the Quest? 5818 lbs??? Is that including the weight of the passengers or something?

Either gross vehicle weight rating or a typo. The Quest runs from 1980kg to 2062kg (4367lbs to 4548lbs).

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »
I sometimes hit the column shifter when reaching for the radio/HVAC controls in my wife's Grand Caravan.  Fack.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 07:14:48 pm »
Why not? Does it cost the manufacturers more to put a manual mode in? A hundred dollars maybe? The Sienna SE trim level is targeted as a sporty minivan with 19" rims, firmer sport tuned suspension (rides an inch lower than the normal Sienna trim levels), and sport tuned handling. Of course it's no Mazda 5, it's still a big minivan, but it's not bad.

Oh yea, CVT... but why did my friend's Lancer GT with CVT come with paddle shifters?? Preset fake gears??

All-right, a pretend sport mini van.  They'd sell one to you then... Wait, you're not buying one... So who else out there wants paddle shifters in their minivan?

Anyone remember the Turbo Carvan?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:14 pm »

All-right, a pretend sport mini van.  They'd sell one to you then... Wait, you're not buying one... So who else out there wants paddle shifters in their minivan?

Anyone remember the Turbo Carvan?

I do! Friend of mine had one with a manual transmission. It was so much smaller than the current minivans though, that it could just about pull off "sporty".

His was identical to this:

CatsEye68

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »
Shifters need to be on the floor or on the column, not on the dash. Chrysler learned that in 1955. Maybe Nissan should invent pushbutton  shifters like Chrysler did in '56.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »
Shifters need to be on the floor or on the column, not on the dash. Chrysler learned that in 1955. Maybe Nissan should invent pushbutton  shifters like Chrysler did in '56.

huh?...everybody has a shifter on the dash, why single Nissan?  Actually others besides minivan have shifters in the dash, Matrix, Sentra come to mind.  I think it's great personally, frees up the console area.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 09:49:11 pm »
It's time again for push button transmission control!!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:27:11 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 10:22:00 pm »

huh?...everybody has a shifter on the dash, why single Nissan?  Actually others besides minivan have shifters in the dash, Matrix, Sentra come to mind.  I think it's great personally, frees up the console area.

:iagree:  As I noted above, the positioning of the shifter in our Sienna is very convenient.  Makes it very easy to use.  Well done Nissan.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »
It's time again for push button transmission control!!

You know with some modern design those could look and feel pretty good. Great idea! Why don't they do something like that? The shifter obviously obstructs access to controls for the driver in the Nissan. Doesn't look quite as bad for Honda.

On another note, kudos for both sticking to the minivan line and for doing something a little more tasteful than the last one but still out there.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 03:33:42 am »
 :iagree: The coolest car my Dad ever owned was a two-tone (blue and white) '58 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door. I'm not sure if it was a 6-cylinder or a V8, but it had the push-button transmission selector just like the picture. I remember Dad saying how he liked that arrangement because it worked so much better than the clunky column shifters he was used to back then.

I'm not sure why we even need mechanical shifters anymore. A modern electronic version of those old pushbutton selectors would be pretty easy to do, or maybe something like the side-stick control in modern aircraft attached to the seat rather than the dash. Just a thought. :)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 06:09:05 am »
I'm not sure why we even need mechanical shifters anymore. A modern electronic version of those old pushbutton selectors would be pretty easy to do, or maybe something like the side-stick control in modern aircraft attached to the seat rather than the dash. Just a thought. :)

There likely isn't a physical connection from shifter to transmission in current cars anyway!

Here's an Allison transmission controller.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 09:07:58 am »
The shifter obviously obstructs access to controls for the driver in the Nissan.

I'm not so sure it does.  I think it's the angle of the photo.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Alex

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »

There likely isn't a physical connection from shifter to transmission in current cars anyway!

Here's an Allison transmission controller.

In slushboxes there isn't, in manuals there is... Note how for cars that come with either, the position is dictated by the manual shift placement (cables). For the ones that only come with dumb-o-matic, you can place it on the roof FWIW.

Rolling

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 09:07:34 pm »
Man did I have high hopes for the new Nissan Quest.  I liked this dash much better than the previous version’s. I was ok with the front styling but didn’t like the rear styling as it reminds me of the Elgrand’s…. Actually I think in general Nissan did a better job with the exterior styling on the Quest than the Elgrand.  I was going to let the rear seating configuration slide as it’s not as spacious as the Competition’s, but when I read “CVT” that’s when I lost the lovin.

I don’t want to buy another Nissan “CVT durability test mule” After reading all the horror stories on the CVT in the Rouge. Thanks, but I’ll pass on this one.

Heavy Minivan + (Metal band/Cones) transmission + light  towing duties = Big $$$ repair bills.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »
:iagree: The coolest car my Dad ever owned was a two-tone (blue and white) '58 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door. I'm not sure if it was a 6-cylinder or a V8, but it had the push-button transmission selector just like the picture. I remember Dad saying how he liked that arrangement because it worked so much better than the clunky column shifters he was used to back then.

Newer BMWs have some wacky joystick thinger going on, with the park button on the very top. Still in the traditional position though.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Derek234234

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 10:46:25 pm »
Hey Shnak, there is a big difference in the cargo volume between this new Quest and others on the market.   The overall length might be the same, but its inside that matters.   As well the new sliding doors on the quest apparently do not open very wide at all and are much harder to get and out of then other minivans.  As well, the Quest apparently has a higher load floor which contributes to a Significantly smaller interior and for whatever reason no telescoping steering wheel which is a must in my opinion.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 12:28:11 am »
Man did I have high hopes for the new Nissan Quest.  I liked this dash much better than the previous version’s. I was ok with the front styling but didn’t like the rear styling as it reminds me of the Elgrand’s…. Actually I think in general Nissan did a better job with the exterior styling on the Quest than the Elgrand

I had to look it up.

Whelp. That's certainly... something. ;D

Rolling

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 01:30:21 am »
Want to see some more? ;D  Here is the 2011 Nissan Elgrand...see any similarities?