Author Topic: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Day 1  (Read 18728 times)

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 10:08:26 pm »
Cory X:

IMHO, therein lies the problem with modern Jeeps.  The Jeep Cherokee had more low end torque and weighed 800 and 1200 lbs. less the the 2 generations of Libertys.  The result, the Liberty is slower, less capable (lower), and less fuel efficient than the vehicle it replaced.  Oh, and the interiors are cheaper than vehicles made 10+ years ago.  The Patriot and the Compass have worst in class acceleration. 

When Jeep decided it need to compete with the Honda Pilot, CR-V and Rav4 they managed to mangle the brand.  I think the Grand Cherokees of the mid 90's were a perfect combination of size, utility, power and refinement.  The current Jeeps try too hard to be alternatives to the CUV and stay "trail-rated" at the same time.  Not an easy task and I think it has resulted in missing the mark on both accounts.

After 2 excellent Cherokees, I looked for every excuse to buy another Jeep.  The Liberty is too slow and bad and fuel, The Patriot/Compass too small, unrefined and underpowered, and the Commander is a lame duck.  Only the GC shines. 

In general, Chryco can't seem to get more than one winner at a time.  The 1st gen Liberties sold over 200K - now they sell 90kish with the hideous gen 2.  Patriot and Compass were dying a violent death until they started giving them away with $3-4 k discounts.  I haven’t seen a Commander on a lot in 3 years.  Too bad.  Jeep was the crown jewel of Chryco and it has been neglected for the better part of the last 5+ years.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:13:36 pm by saint_satan »

kicker

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »
Quote from Michael Vaughans 2010 Report Card

B +

Chrysler: I had written Chrysler off until I saw the 14 new and improved vehicles that they are bringing to market. Huge improvements in all of them made with little or no money. Shows real commitment by the employees who are left. The soon to be debuted Chrysler 300 is another winner too.
Don't ask me who he is , I don't know .

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 08:44:57 am »
Well, I agree with saint_satan (really?!) - Jeep I think is just trying too hard to hit too many customers with the same vehicle. Maybe they need to make their more CUV type vehicles more ummm, desireable.

James - do you HAVE to get the panny sunroof or is that an option? Obviously you could just delete it if its an option (which I would do in a heartbeat - just another place for leaks to show up) which would hopefully fix your rear seat problem. How bad is it anyway? If there really is that much more room than other SUVs it might be worth a price to pay - at least for me. I know for 1 I won't be sitting in the back of it any time I'm in there. Wife always wants me to drive and with 1 2 year old and a 5'6" wifey it couldn't be THAT hard to live with...?

What about a non-trail rated version that gutted the off road capability and used lightweight components?
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:33 am »
You can't get the overland without the roof but you could get a base model without one.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 10:43:22 am »
When did < 10secs to 100 become SLOW for an SUV? 

Considering BMW's X5 can get from 0-100 in 6.4 seconds, with 300 horses as well, I'd say that's fairly slow. And the X5 is quite the porker weighing in at over 5 tonnes. As mentioned, I suspect the new GC could do with extra gears. And extra gears would also help with efficiency.

That said, I've recently had the chance to drive the new GC and my goodness, what an improvement! Looks great, interior materials are finally up to par, good steering feedback and as mentioned plenty of usable space. I think Jeep has a winner on their hands with this one.

Finally Chrysler is stepping up their game. Good to see.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 11:27:15 am »

Considering BMW's X5 can get from 0-100 in 6.4 seconds, with 300 horses as well, I'd say that's fairly slow. And the X5 is quite the porker weighing in at over 5 tonnes. As mentioned, I suspect the new GC could do with extra gears. And extra gears would also help with efficiency.

That said, I've recently had the chance to drive the new GC and my goodness, what an improvement! Looks great, interior materials are finally up to par, good steering feedback and as mentioned plenty of usable space. I think Jeep has a winner on their hands with this one.

i agree GC is fairly slow, and needs more gears, but 5 tonnes for x5?    are you sure?  that's 10000 american lbs or metric 5000 kg (in which case is more than 10000 american lbs)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 01:16:52 pm »

i agree GC is fairly slow, and needs more gears, but 5 tonnes for x5?    are you sure?  that's 10000 american lbs or metric 5000 kg (in which case is more than 10000 american lbs)
I think he meant 5000 pounds, which is what it is. And that time is with the 6 cylinder, the V8 is faster.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 06:22:43 pm »
Car and Driver reported a 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds with the V6.  I trust their results.

Doesn't this make most of this thread wasted electrons now? :)

I wonder what a Liberty will do with the new engine?

Jeep = Cheap

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »
Yeah u tell them....this jeep is not a big enough lemon....go for the biggest lemon of them all a POS Dodge Journey...lol

It's 10.4 according to AJAC, okay that's slow.  For comparison sake the Edge is 8.3, the 05 Cherokee tested was 7 seconds but I can only assume that's the V8.

I'm sure the new Pentastar is a good motor but it's just hauling too much weight. Put a fat suit on just about any Olympic athlete and they'll be slow too. Mopar needs to seriously consider new technology in shedding the pounds.

The reason it's so much heavier than, say, a Highlander, is because it's more off-road capable.  The sophisticated 4x4 systems and the chassis reinforcement that makes it so good in the rough stuff has a flipside to it.  If you don't need all that stuff, Chrysler has other vehicles to offer (the updated Dodge Journey springs to mind).

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 08:32:09 am »

I think he meant 5000 pounds, which is what it is. And that time is with the 6 cylinder, the V8 is faster.

Yes, that's what I meant. My mistake.  :)

CatsEye68

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:57 pm »
Car and Driver reported a 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds with the V6.  I trust their results.

Dear god, don't let Jaeger see this. We'll get 50 posts telling us it's too slow... :rofl2:

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:28 am »
I see today that Autoweek gave the Jeep Grand Cherokee 'Best of the Best' rating as their choice of best truck tested this year. Mostly 'fives' across the board. I struggle to understand how it received only a 'three' rating in this test. Every single test I've read about this Jeep ranks it amongst the best SUV's made, but with almost unmatched off road capabilities. Weird. While the Canadian Driver test wasn't negative, it didn't exactly come up with similar results to what I've seen in many other tests.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
It's nice, but 15L/100km for a slow V6 for everyday, meh.  If you want an offroader, yes its the one.  99% of buyers would be better served with the new Edge I suspect.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2011, 06:43:57 pm »
Wing, I guess it depends on where you live and where you want to go, etc. But an EDGE? 99%? This new Jeep is better in many areas of comparison and vastly better in a few. To me that is a strange choice. The Edge AWD gets about the same fuel economy as the V6 Jeep (one test I read it got 15.7 L/100km, but has NONE of the off road abilities. And it's kinda funny looking.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »
I'd hazard to guess most GC owners never go over anything other than a gravel road.  The capabilities are great but few use them.