Author Topic: Feature: Hyundai moving forward with powertrain technology  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Hyundai moving forward with powertrain technology
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:12 am »

Hyundai hopes to achieve its ambitious goal of a Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) of 50 mpg (US) by 2025 using advanced powertrain technology.  Contributor Gerry Frechette travelled to Hyundai's technical centre in Michigan to find out more.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Feature: Hyundai moving forward with powertrain technology
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:00:23 am »
Aluminium crankshaft.   That must have caused a few crossed fingers and whispered prayers when the engine was tested at full power for durability.   I wonder how long before some company makes a carbon fibre composite block and crank or a ceramic block & head ( Nissan did ceramic coated bores and pistons some time ago IIRC).
Materials science is a marvellous thing.

I wonder why they'd make the Gamma and the Nu rather than just the Gamma with and without a turbo... but with the alloy crank of course.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

semaphore

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:09 am »
Surely the aluminum crank was a misunderstanding?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:03:55 pm »
...AlumiNUim.............................it's all greek letters ta me............hope tha oil filter is as big as a BUCKET......... ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:18 pm »
hopefully, honda will not let hyundai's new engines go unchallenged.
but, even as a honda fan, I somtimes sigh and wonder what happened to my favorite car brand.

i think honda and mitsubishi are the only japanese companies still using SOHC engines.  it's like honda is still stuck in the 90's.
honda has to seriously go back to its roots as an engine manufacturer.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:42:20 pm »
but, even as a honda fan, I somtimes sigh and wonder what happened to my favorite car brand.

i think honda and mitsubishi are the only japanese companies still using SOHC engines.  it's like honda is still stuck in the 90's.

Agreed.  More evidence that Hyundai is the new Honda when it comes to engineering.

Toyota and Honda must be absolutely crapping themselves looking at this line-up...I think they`ve got the most to lose.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:04:40 pm »

Honda has never been a stat sheet champion.  Its engineering ability has typically been present in real-world driving feel, not in the numbers.  Take the RSX Type S versus the Neon SRT-4.  The Type S got clobbered in stat sheet comparisons, but its execution and precision made it a joy to drive.  Or the first-gen TSX versus the E46 325i and the IS300.  FWD four-cylinder versus RWD sixes...but the TSX's refinement and athleticism made it nevertheless competitive.

Scoff all you want about the 1.8L SOHC in the Civic, but I don't see many owners complaining that it's too thirsty and too slow.  And we'll just have to wait and see what's in the 2012 Civic, and how it performs in the real world.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:17:46 am »

Scoff all you want about the 1.8L SOHC in the Civic, but I don't see many owners complaining that it's too thirsty and too slow.  And we'll just have to wait and see what's in the 2012 Civic, and how it performs in the real world.

all i am saying is that i hope all the strides hyundai has made will light a fire under honda and toyota's a$$es to engineer the best products they can.  apparently, the 2012 civic was supposed to be the 2011 civic, but they went back to the drawing board.... i wonder to myself who/what made honda scrap the original plans and redo the civic.  hyundai perhaps?

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:09 am »
all i am saying is that i hope all the strides hyundai has made will light a fire under honda and toyota's a$$es to engineer the best products they can.  apparently, the 2012 civic was supposed to be the 2011 civic, but they went back to the drawing board.... i wonder to myself who/what made honda scrap the original plans and redo the civic.  hyundai perhaps?

The postponement occurred before we knew anything about the new Elantra.  Two things are responsible for the postponement:

(1)  The global MkIII Ford Focus; and

(2)  Honda responding to a changing market (originally the 2011 Civic was supposed to be significantly larger than the 2006-2011 Civic; but as people began valuing size less and fuel efficiency more, they decided not to upsize it after all).

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:34 am »
I used to be a Honda owner.....3 different models and loved them.  Great cars in the 90's.  Too bad they seemed to have lost their way as an engine manufacturer. 

With Hyundai's engines mentioned here along with their V8 (one of Ward's ten best), high tech Turbo (twin scroll and regular gas no less), they have shown their ability to create great engines for their entire range of models.  Honda has lost their edge in creating great engines and great car designs.  Nothing in their current line up with the exception of the Civic Si is considered sporty. Honda and even Acura's designs as of late have been atrocious.  Honda currently has nothing that I desire.  Accord, Crosstour, CRV, Element.  No thanks.  I'll always have memories of the S2000, Prelude, Integra and my 1991 Civic Si. 

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:38:29 pm »
I used to be a Honda owner.....3 different models and loved them.  Great cars in the 90's.  Too bad they seemed to have lost their way as an engine manufacturer. 

i am a current honda owner, and i used to proclaim the virtues of hondas to anyone who would listen. but, as a honda fan, there has been little to get excited about in the last decade.  if i had to buy a car at this very moment in time, i can tell you quite honestly, that it would not be a honda, unless i was in the market for a station wagon (i.e. TSX).

honda has to realize that their complacency and/or ignorance will cost them dearly.  experimenting in unfamiliar segments (i.e. ridgeline), questionable styling (i.e. element, most acuras, odyssey) and mediocrity (i.e. the "sporty hybrid" CRZ, accord) will allow companies like hyundai to make conquest sales.  once people have tried hyundai once, they may never go back to honda again.  then, you'll have a new generation of hyundai zealots which will only drive up the popularity of hyundai at the expense of honda.

kicker

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »
This previous Canadian Driver report clearly shows why Hyundai is doing so well . Honda should adopt some of their ideas .
Since I am a new poster it won't place the link yet .    

Feature: Engineering Kias and Hyundais in Michigan

Added : Pity more people have not read this , it shows to me , that Hyundai takes the best from everyone else and puts it into their cars .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:48:20 pm by kicker »

kirm

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:50 am »
Mitlov said: "Take the RSX Type S versus the Neon SRT-4.  The Type S got clobbered in stat sheet comparisons, but its execution and precision made it a joy to drive."

Although I never owned the SRT, I did own the Type S and it was anything but a joy to drive. It was a horribly engineered POS. Rough ride, bump-steer, torque-steer, wheel hop out the ying-yang and an engine you had to rev to the heavens to get any kind of power out of...and even then it wasn't much. What junk! Honda's engineers seem to be totally stumped on what torque is and how it works. They're also very, very frightened of turbocharging. The RSX is the main reason I left Acura/Honda after owning two in a row. That and the not-too-great customer service. They can keep their vehicles. I've moved on and won't look back.

kicker

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 08:58:00 pm »
Last gen Celica, same way (180 hp one), have to rev the snot out of it to be fun too .
( Also as a side note ,the base auto celica had this really annoying whine that wouldn't go away at any speed or gear . Put me right off the car ).

The base RSX automatic had no whine but was horrible off the line .
Put me right off the car . Not suited in auto form at all . Liked everything else about the car though , ride ,handling ,interior . Would have bought it to if it wasn't for the horrible off line performance .
I've owed 2 older Hondas , one an auto and both performed WAY better off the line . The RSX's
are still good cars in their amazing refinement over the integra but better suited as a standard only .
 Sounds like sporty cars with their firmer suspension aren't your cup of tea to me . If you drive the S like you stole it they are alot of fun .( Test drive a 350 z , if find its suspension too harsh too , you shouldn't buy that type of car ).