Author Topic: Tragically Hip  (Read 4895 times)

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
Re: Tragically Hip
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:30 am »
I like (don't LOVE) the Hip and agree with Vman that Day for Night is definitely the best album.  Though most of their catalogue is at least 'solid'...very few duds.

Good live band too, though I agree with some that their popularity is a little overinflated in Canada.  But hey, no harm.

And they are DEFINITELY 'old people's music'.  As hard is it is to say, the direction of popular music (radio, biggest concerts, etc) is driven by the 16-25 yr old market.  I'm only 29 years old and I'd admit my taste is 'old'.

You could argue that popular music driven by that age group is mostly garbage (Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc), but it wasn't THAT long ago in that popular music was actually lead by some pretty good bands:  Police, U2, etc. in the 80s; Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc in the 90s.

Hopefully it's just a time period thing :P

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 10:15:42 am »
You could argue that popular music driven by that age group is mostly garbage (Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc), but it wasn't THAT long ago in that popular music was actually lead by some pretty good bands:  Police, U2, etc. in the 80s; Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc in the 90s.

Hopefully it's just a time period thing :P

Yes, lets hope.  Todays popular music just sounds like dance music to me.  The only time a person had to listen to it when I was younger (I am only 33) is when you went "clubbin it"  ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:04 am »
I like some of their older stuff. The newer stuff I've heard is a little sleepy/generic radio.

Oh there was definitely crap in the late 80s/early 90s too. Criss Cross, boy bands, Billy Ray Cyrus, etc. We have just mostly forgot about it. Give Bieber another decade and he'll mostly be forgotten too.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:53 am »
I like some of their older stuff. The newer stuff I've heard is a little sleepy/generic radio.

Oh there was definitely crap in the late 80s/early 90s too. Criss Cross, boy bands, Billy Ray Cyrus, etc. We have just mostly forgot about it. Give Bieber another decade two years and he'll mostly be forgotten too.

FIFY
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:07 am »
The Hip are popular because Canadian radio has to play a set amount of Canadian content every hour.
Blasphemy!  :nono:

I can pick a bunch out of this list, that don't get the respect in Canada the Hip do, but are far more successful...
Tea Party, Crash Test Dummies, I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace, etc, all get less respect in Canada than the all holy Hip do, but are much more popular outside of just Canada.

The Tea Party, Big Wreck...  The Hip aren't worthy to be even in the same paragraph with that kind of talent...

:rofl2:

Ha ha, I've seen all those bands mentioned above live. There's a reason they get less respect, they just aren't as good or professional as The Hip.  

I'm not a hip junkie by any means, but I really like their early stuff and they really have to be seen live to be appreciated.  
Living in Kingston for the last 25 years means I've heard and seen The Hip many times.  Half of my friends seem to know them personally, I've been introduced to a couple of them.
Rob Baker used to always be driving around in a nice old blue Fiat Spider.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:54:01 am by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:51 am »
I hear ya about The Hip's older stuff.  I'm a big Tragically Hip fan as well, I've seen them live 3 times.  It's hard to pick a favorite album from them.  Everything right up to 1998's Phantom Power is good listening.  I found Fully Completely got a little overplayed at the time when it was out, but it's still good stuff.

Favorite Canadian band...Rush!   (actually, one of my favorites period!)  They're awesome live.  I've never felt anything shake like the Montral Forum during one of Neil Peart's drum solo's.

A couple of recent Canadian fav's are Arcade Fire (also good live, opened for U2), and Metric.

They played at the high school I was in, I guess that was before they played the forum :rofl:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 11:10:12 am »
Favorite Canadian band...Rush!   (actually, one of my favorites period!)  They're awesome live.  I've never felt anything shake like the Montral Forum during one of Neil Peart's drum solo's.

Check out the BD (or DVD) "Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage", its pretty good.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 12:06:19 pm »

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »
I've seen the Hip live once.  It was 1990, and they played in the smokey sweaty Sutherland Bar here in Saskatoon.  Capacity is about 300 IIRC.

After hearing them there, I just knew that hearing them in an arena/ concert hall just wouldn't be the same, so I never went again.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »
^ I agree.  I've seen them several times live, but the most memorable was seeing them live at a small bar in Banff back in 91 or 92.  The smaller atmospheres are always better IMO. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline caretaker007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 10:31:41 am »
I guess I am old  :-[
Where BTO, Max Webster, Lighthouse, and Aprilwine ???
There getting their 'HIP" replaced...lol....couldn't resist....... :rofl2: :rofl2: