Author Topic: Tragically Hip  (Read 4893 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Tragically Hip
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:02:36 pm »
No doubt like many other Canucks here, I've always been such a HUGE fan of the Hip.  I've been listening a lot more of their older stuff lately and it really brings back lots of memories.  It's hard to believe it's been almost 24 years since their first self titled album.  Crazy how time flies.  While I love all of their music, I absolutely think their early stuff was incredible!! 

Anyways, I just thought it was crazy that they've been around this long already as it seems just like yesterday I was listening to their "new" stuff.....New Orleans is Sinking, Blow at high dough, etc.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Tragically Hip
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:13 pm »
I've seen them 8 times live, but probably only twice in the last 5 years.  Next time they are through the area, I'll probably skip it.  Still love their music, but let someone younger have my seat the next time through. 

I'm at the point where I have heard the older songs so many times live that I wish that they would play more from their new(er) albums.  I guess the older tunes are such classics and that is what the crowds want to hear.

But ya, great band.  Gordie is a true poet.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
Great band! I was having beers with some folks and they were talking about Canadian bands and listing a bunch to which I added The Hip. One young lady informed me that they were an "old people's band"  :rofl2: I've probably seen them live 5-6 times and will likely go the next time they come through Vancouver.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:04:31 pm »
Great band! I was having beers with some folks and they were talking about Canadian bands and listing a bunch to which I added The Hip. One young lady informed me that they were an "old people's band"  :rofl2: I've probably seen them live 5-6 times and will likely go the next time they come through Vancouver.

She's probably right though..... :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:47:43 pm »
One of the few concerts I have attended was when the Hip played in Sudbury.

Ended on Goodnight Josephine. Awesome. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:55:12 pm »
I have been grooving on this song for the better part of this year, since it first came out in early 2010.  I live on the lake, and an eastern wind is a powerful thing, especially in winter.  Not old folks music, at all.  Gord is a brilliant artist, and that never gets old to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETUZ9Dhe_UI&feature=fvw

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »
Not old folks music, at all.  Gord is a brilliant artist, and that never gets old to me.

How old are you again?   :rofl2:

I think they refer to it as old folks music since they came out so long ago.  Big Sugar came out like 20 years ago too, no?? 

There was also a time when people didn't think the Rolling Stones were old folks music either.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:59:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »

Well what do you consider old?  I am not quite 40 yet, but I certainly don't consider myself old.  In my mind, an old people's band would be more along the line of the Stones, Beatles, etc......not a group that debuted in late 80s.  I guess it's all about perspective though and if I was 20 right now I might think they are an old people's band too. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:15 pm »

Well what do you consider old?  I am not quite 40 yet, but I certainly don't consider myself old.  In my mind, an old people's band would be more along the line of the Stones, Beatles, etc......not a group that debuted in late 80s.  I guess it's all about perspective though and if I was 20 right now I might think they are an old people's band too. 

Exactly. 

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
They aren't bad, but not great either.  Personally I think they are way overrated.  If they were as good as every cottage and hockey and beer loving Canadian says they are, they'd be big in the States, and the rest of the world too...  Surely someone else out there would have caught on by now.  But no one did.  Now I know what your thinking, just because the States likes something doesn't mean its good, etc... But generally, our nations popular music tastes are the same, and Canada's best talent has been very successful all over North America.  I know I know, good music doesn't have to be popular...  And popular music is more often than not, not good...  I think celebrating the Hip is celebrating mediocrity.  Although I did like their video with the Trailer Park Boys and the chicken and Don Cherry.

The Hip are popular because Canadian radio has to play a set amount of Canadian content every hour.  There is only so much, somewhat newer, Canadian rock music to go around.  Hip music makes great quota filler.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:09:05 am by footlong58 »

Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:09:12 am »
The Hip are popular because Canadian radio has to play a set amount of Canadian content every hour.
Blasphemy!  :nono:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:39 am »
The Hip are popular because Canadian radio has to play a set amount of Canadian content every hour.

It IS a rule though.  They have to play Canadian content...

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:47 am »

"The 1971 CRTC rules (25% Canadian content on Canadian radio, increased to 30 per cent in the 1980s)[74] finally came into full effect and by the end of the decade, radio stations would have to play 35% Canadian content.[103] This led to an explosion of Canadian bands ruling the Canadian airwaves unlike any era before.[4] This includes The Headstones, The Tea Party, Matthew Good Band, Moist, Sloan, The Gandharvas, Change of Heart, Skydiggers, Eric's Trip, Limblifter, salmonblaster, the Doughboys, Crash Test Dummies, The Lowest of the Low, 13 Engines, Odds, I Mother Earth, Big Sugar, Glueleg, Age of Electric, Rymes With Orange, Strapping Young Lad, Bif Naked, Rheostatics, The Watchmen, Moxy Früvous, Rusty, Our Lady Peace, The Philosopher Kings, Junkhouse, Wide Mouth Mason, Pure, Thrush Hermit, cub, The Killjoys, Sandbox, Treble Charger, Big Wreck, Propagandhi, and The Planet Smashers. Although many of them have not been overly successful in the United States"

I can pick a bunch out of this list, that don't get the respect in Canada the Hip do, but are far more successful...
Tea Party, Crash Test Dummies, I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace, etc, all get less respect in Canada than the all holy Hip do, but are much more popular outside of just Canada.

The Tea Party, Big Wreck...  The Hip aren't worthy to be even in the same paragraph with that kind of talent...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:22:14 am by footlong58 »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:09:17 am »

The Tea Party, Big Wreck...  The Hip aren't worthy to be even in the same paragraph with that kind of talent...

Big Tea Party fan here also. But honestly, Big Wreck?   ::).  And ya, I've seen them live, and did have respect for them.  Spend some time listening to some of the Hips not so mainstream songs, really listen to the lyrics, and you'll gain a much higher appreciation. 

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:08 am »
Tea Party? Seriously?

I'd forgotton all about that band, but thanks for a laugh from the past. :rofl2:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9z5rg_the-tea-party-the-river_music

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 06:49:14 am »
I guess I am old  :-[
Where BTO, Max Webster, Lighthouse, and Aprilwine ???

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 08:03:46 am »

I can pick a bunch out of this list, that don't get the respect in Canada the Hip do, but are far more successful...
Tea Party, Crash Test Dummies, I Mother Earth, Our Lady Peace, etc, all get less respect in Canada than the all holy Hip do, but are much more popular outside of just Canada.

The Hip aren't worthy to be in the same paragraph as Big Wreck??  LOL, thanks for the laugh!   :rofl:

I went and saw the Hip last year in Boston at the House of Blues and they had 3 sold out shows.  The Americans seemed to like them quite a bit from what I could tell. 

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 08:43:28 am »
They aren't bad, but not great either.  Personally I think they are way overrated.  If they were as good as every cottage and hockey and beer loving Canadian says they are, they'd be big in the States, and the rest of the world too...  Surely someone else out there would have caught on by now.  But no one did.  Now I know what your thinking, just because the States likes something doesn't mean its good, etc... But generally, our nations popular music tastes are the same, and Canada's best talent has been very successful all over North America.  I know I know, good music doesn't have to be popular...  And popular music is more often than not, not good...  I think celebrating the Hip is celebrating mediocrity.  Although I did like their video with the Trailer Park Boys and the chicken and Don Cherry.

The Hip are popular because Canadian radio has to play a set amount of Canadian content every hour.  There is only so much, somewhat newer, Canadian rock music to go around.  Hip music makes great quota filler.

Look past the songs loved by the meatheads at the concerts etc. and you'll find excellent songwriting and tight playing. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:52:22 am »

"The 1971 CRTC rules (25% Canadian content on Canadian radio, increased to 30 per cent in the 1980s)[74] finally came into full effect and by the end of the decade, radio stations would have to play 35% Canadian content.[103] This led to an explosion of Canadian bands ruling the Canadian airwaves unlike any era before.[4] This includes The Headstones, The Tea Party, Matthew Good Band, Moist, Sloan, The Gandharvas, Change of Heart, Skydiggers, Eric's Trip, Limblifter, salmonblaster, the Doughboys, Crash Test Dummies, The Lowest of the Low, 13 Engines, Odds, I Mother Earth, Big Sugar, Glueleg, Age of Electric, Rymes With Orange, Strapping Young Lad, Bif Naked, Rheostatics, The Watchmen, Moxy Früvous, Rusty, Our Lady Peace, The Philosopher Kings, Junkhouse, Wide Mouth Mason, Pure, Thrush Hermit, cub, The Killjoys, Sandbox, Treble Charger, Big Wreck, Propagandhi, and The Planet Smashers. Although many of them have not been overly successful in the United States"

:rofl2:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 09:05:17 am »
I hear ya about The Hip's older stuff.  I'm a big Tragically Hip fan as well, I've seen them live 3 times.  It's hard to pick a favorite album from them.  Everything right up to 1998's Phantom Power is good listening.  I found Fully Completely got a little overplayed at the time when it was out, but it's still good stuff.

Favorite Canadian band...Rush!  (actually, one of my favorites period!)  They're awesome live.  I've never felt anything shake like the Montral Forum during one of Neil Peart's drum solo's.

A couple of recent Canadian fav's are Arcade Fire (also good live, opened for U2), and Metric.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson