Author Topic: Break in  (Read 3838 times)

vdk

Break in
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:15:01 am »
It's Friday night. You're having a well deserved drink at a bar after working on a business project with a couple of close friends. Then you come back to your buddy's Jeep and you see this.

Called the Police, and they wouldn't bother to come write a report. I have to say I'm not surprised.

The thief stole 3 iPods and 3 laptops. What's there to do? Auto insurance, or home insurance? His or mine? It's my personal property in his personal car.

:-\

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Break in
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:50:47 am »
move to a better place ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:03:32 am »
Here in Manitoba, personal items are home insurance and NEVER, I repeat, NEVER leave anything visible in the car.  Not even a few cents in change.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:01:44 am »
NEVER leave anything visible in the car.  Not even a few cents in change.

That is good advice anywhere. 'tis the season for desperation as well and I'm sure ipods and laptops make great gifts.

Bummer that happened. Dunno about the insurance....but hey you could split his deductable three ways and of course you all had:http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m17x/pd?refid=laptop-alienware-m17x&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-alienware-m17x_anav_1~~ I hope your data was well backed up. Merry Christmas, eh?
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:08:03 am »
Bummer.  I think home insurance for laptops and iPods and car insurance for the windows.   Do you have the MobileMe Find-My-i(device) configured to locate your Apple products?

I hide and secure my laptop in my trunk with a Kensington cable lock.  I do it before arriving at my destination so I am not seen with it.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:51 am »
I hide and secure my laptop in my trunk with a Kensington cable lock.  I do it before arriving at my destination so I am not seen with it.

A very good idea and something I'll have to look into.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 11:49:11 am »
Sorry to hear vdk. :(

My family used to have a car with some kind of underseat storage thing. It was either a Grand Caravan or a Taurus Wagon...don't remember. There was a compartment under the front passenger seat that would have fit a laptop. Genius idea really.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:07:43 pm »
That is tough luck, vdk, but leaving that kind of stuff visible in a parked car is asking for trouble most anywhere. It certainly is here, and this a relatively small city.

:(
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

vdk

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:19:09 pm »
move to a better place ;D

This happened on a side street in Greek town - Danforth.

The only thing that was in view was an old-school iPod that doesn't even work properly anymore. The rest was out of view in the front and back underneath the seats.

Lesson learned though. I always leave electronics in the car. Not anymore...

They stole about 6.5k of electronics all in all. Doubt they're worth much on the market. Will keep an eye on Craigslist for our stuff though.

Very Merry Christmas :)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:00:07 pm »
That is tough luck, vdk, but leaving that kind of stuff visible in a parked car is asking for trouble most anywhere. It certainly is here, and this a relatively small city.

:(

Here too, and Vernon's even smaller. I never leave anything in the car if I have to leave it parked for any length of time, not even my registration papers. I leave the glove compartment and the dash storage bin open so the scum-suckers can see there's nothing there. My son made the same mistake as vdk a few years ago and the bastards did $1K+ in damage to his car in the process. A hard lesson to learn, not to mention expensive.  >:(
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 01:25:06 pm »
Yeah, I had a friend get his window broken for 35cents in the console.

Another buddy left a case of beer on the front seat for 5 minutes while he ran into check something at work.  Lost the beer and his window for it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 01:37:21 pm »
..Man losing BEER that's the worst story i've read all year.... :'( :'( :'(......are they covered under yer Medical Re_imbursments or  Gov Disaster plans ?.......checking something @ werk when ya have a case inna car...CRIMINAL.... :cheers: >:D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:39:33 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 04:00:19 pm »
That sucks!  Always hear these stories at this time of the year.  That visible shitty ipod was just too tempting to see what else was in there.

Once (a long long time ago) I left only my aux cable visible and my cd-player was stolen.  Thief rightfully had a theory if I had a cable I most likely had a device.  So I don't even leave the cable visible in any vehicle anymore.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 04:07:06 pm »
Sorry to read about the break-in. That sucks. :shake:
As my Dad use to say "There's two kinds of guys in the world, great ones and the rest are jerk-offs in one form or another".
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »
Photographer friend of mine was in Montreal, and parked in a public lot.  After he parked, he moved all his camera and video gear into the trunk - about $10K worth.  Got back a few hours later, and it was all gone.  I sometimes wonder whether the people at the entry gate at these lots aren't checking the car for valuables when you pull in to pay ahead of time...  See something good, call a bud, look the other way while the newly-parked car is being ransacked.

Sorry to hear of your story, vdk.  That sucks mightily.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »
Tip: next time park in a Tim Horton's lot.

I can remember when the police gave a damn. They actually investigated criminal activity and tried to catch bad guys!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:32:16 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »
What's there to do? Auto insurance, or home insurance? His or mine? It's my personal property in his personal car.

Technically only your home policy will apply.  However, since you use your computer for work it may not be covered.  Other factors to consider before making a claim will be your deductible, loss of claims free discount for 10 years that will increase your premium for that entire period, and whether or not you have guaranteed replacement or actual cash value.

Personally, anything under 5K loss I would not claim.

Not only do SUVs and other trunk less vehicles suck for looking valuables, most sedans sucks as well.  The Malibu and I assume most GMs are vunerable.  Once the glove box in the Altima is breached it's a straight shot to the trunk.  My Hyundai brothers tell me the Sonata is vunerable as well.  You wonder why manufactures don't put a little more effort into securing the trunk considering the times.  Generally this requires a key lock for the trunk.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »
Actually one of the nice things about a hatch or a wagon is that you can leave the cargo cover off so thieves can see there's nothing to steal back there. I remember a few years ago someone's car was ransacked at work and the trunk popped with a pry-bar even though there wasn't anything in it. Stupid perp even left the pry-bar behind.  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »

The only thing that was in view was an old-school iPod that doesn't even work properly anymore.

But that's the problem...ANYTHING these douche bags see (working or not) will get them to bust a window.  Once inside, it's like a lottery to them; either they'll hit it big (in your case) or they won't find anything.  But once they're in, they'll be sure to check for more loot.

And there's again the police hard at work, eh?  Bet you if you told them you say a guy speeding, they'd be right over to hand out a ticket to generate some revenue...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:22 pm »
loss of claims free discount for 10 years that will increase your premium for that entire period

That's got to be the most retarded discount ever.

"If you never ask us for anything, we'll let you pay us slightly less money."