Author Topic: Honda Civic only nets two stars on revamped NHTSA side impact test  (Read 14390 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/16/honda-civic-only-nets-two-stars-on-revamped-nhtsa-side-impact-te/

Ouch! Some vehicles are faring horribly in these new tests! Just goes to show how car makers cater to these tests to get good scores, and when the tests change without notification, some get left behind more than others.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Honda Civic only nets two stars on revamped NHTSA side impact test
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:56:32 am »
Yeah, that isn't great.  Same score in side impact as the Mazda 3 and Toyota Camry.  Although the Mazda gets a special exclamation of "solid two gold stars"  :rofl:

At least the civic is a 3 star overall car unlike the Versa which dropped to two stars  :o

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:39:58 am »
Not surprised.  The NHTSA set a goal, all the manufacturers targeted that goal...

Now that the goal has been moved, the existing target is met, but not the new one.  They will all target this new goal now, and will all meet it in time.  People are easily impressed, when a sticker on the car shows a bunch of gold meaningless stars, and in reality they have no clue what they actually mean.

It's kind of a joke really...

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:01:18 am »
Not surprised.  The NHTSA set a goal, all the manufacturers targeted that goal...

Now that the goal has been moved, the existing target is met, but not the new one.  They will all target this new goal now, and will all meet it in time.  People are easily impressed, when a sticker on the car shows a bunch of gold meaningless stars, and in reality they have no clue what they actually mean.

Well, some cars appear to exceed the previous targets... the 5-series and new Sonata, namely. For car companies claiming to be serious about safety, I'd expect the big companies such as Honda and Toyota to exceed whatever safety targets are set by NHTSA, wouldn't you?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:12 am »
And likely they will. Honda is still using a previous gen, 5 year old design. Hyundai has a brand new one. I expect when all the new car designs roll out that they will all does as well.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:20:46 am »
I bet older Sonata wouldn't score much better than the Civic. They've been designed/introduced around the same time.
Even the new Sonata was at 4 star first and luckily Hyundai had time to make changes to score 5 stars.

I would expect most of new cars to get 5 stars since the manufacturers will design them as such.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:23:53 am »
I bet older Sonata wouldn't score much better than the Civic. They've been designed/introduced around the same time.
Even the new Sonata was at 4 star first and luckily Hyundai had time to make changes to score 5 stars.

I would expect most of new cars to get 5 stars since the manufacturers will design them as such.

Yeah, and they changed it again and are submitting a 3rd version

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:39 am »

Well, some cars appear to exceed the previous targets... the 5-series and new Sonata, namely. For car companies claiming to be serious about safety, I'd expect the big companies such as Honda and Toyota to exceed whatever safety targets are set by NHTSA, wouldn't you?

Yeah, I noticed quite a few manufacturers have 5 star on the side impact.  Mostly newer designs.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:30:25 am »

Uh?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 11:44:48 am »

Uh?

Yep. Correct.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 11:46:04 am »

Uh?

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/ncap-2011/2011_Hyundai_Sonata_Early_Release.htm
http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/ncap-2011/2011_Hyundai_Sonata_Later_Release.htm
http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/ncap-2011/2011_Hyundai_Sonata_Latest_Release.htm

It appears they keep working on the front end trying to achieve the full 5 star rating to impess potential buyer I would assume?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
I just noticed that Fiesta received 5 GOLD starts for side impact whatever that means, but I think it is in a good way.

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 12:05:49 pm »
Yeah, if the NHTSA "changed the tests without notification," manufacturers wouldn't have been able to revise models to do better on the tests.  The Civic is about to be replaced, so of course Honda wouldn't re-do it just for the last couple months of production.

My 2011 Si is an IIHS top safety pick (I prefer the IIHS over the NHTSA anyway, because of their more thorough methodology and their direct financial self-interest in ensuring that as many people as possible are driving the safest cars possible) and scored between 4 and 5 stars (depending on the angle) under the old NHTSA test.  I'm not losing sleep about driving it.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:10:47 pm »

Uh?

http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/ncap-2011/2011_Hyundai_Sonata_Early_Release.htm
http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/ncap-2011/2011_Hyundai_Sonata_Later_Release.htm
http://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/ncap-2011/2011_Hyundai_Sonata_Latest_Release.htm

It appears they keep working on the front end trying to achieve the full 5 star rating to impess potential buyer I would assume?

Oh ok, I wasn't aware of the 3rd attempt. I knew they had quickly submitted a revised Sonata after the 1st try to get 5 star side impact rating, but didn't know about the 3rd attempt.

gta_driver

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 02:55:32 pm »
Doesn't suprise me.

In the last 12 months. I've come across two accident scenes.

The first one involved a stolen early 90's minivan which t-boned a current generation Honda Civic on the driver's side. Both the driver and passenger(sitting on the driver's side) died as a result of that injury.

The scond involved a current generation Acura CSX which was t-boned on the passenger side by either a Pontiac Grand Prix or G6. The passenger died. The driver was seriously injured.

In both cases, I couldn't get over how much damage was inflicted, even with the side airbags deploying. The front clip of the vehicle t-boning the Civic/CSX was literally in the vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »
..I got a GOLD STAR once in kitty-garten...impacted me fer LIFE......... :banana: :banana: :banana:....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
Doesn't suprise me.

The first one involved a stolen early 90's minivan which t-boned a current generation Honda Civic on the driver's side. Both the driver and passenger(sitting on the driver's side) died as a result of that injury.

The scond involved a current generation Acura CSX which was t-boned on the passenger side by either a Pontiac Grand Prix or G6. The passenger died. The driver was seriously injured.

In both cases, I couldn't get over how much damage was inflicted, even with the side airbags deploying. The front clip of the vehicle t-boning the Civic/CSX was literally in the vehicle.

Any idea of the speeds involved in these accidents?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 09:39:57 pm »
Doesn't suprise me.

Side impact is brutal. There's almost no metal and no space to disperse the energy. Unless we make all cars into giant spheres there's no good solution.

Its much better to slam into someone head on at 60km/h (total, and ideally evenly split) than to have someone slam into you at 45km/h from the side.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:51:58 pm »
I'm not losing sleep about driving it.

This is key. The car is no less safe today than it was last week. The testing methodology has just changed. No doubt the next Civic will conform to the new methodology... :)

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:28:28 pm »
Doesn't suprise me.

Side impact is brutal. There's almost no metal and no space to disperse the energy. Unless we make all cars into giant spheres there's no good solution.

Its much better to slam into someone head on at 60km/h (total, and ideally evenly split) than to have someone slam into you at 45km/h from the side.

That was my thought.  It's one thing to survive a side impact at normal intersection speeds (25-35 mph).  But if the stolen minivan was involved in a chase, with speeds of 60 mph or higher, I doubt there's a compact car on the planet where the passengers could have walked away from being T-boned.

I'm just not willing to write off the current-gen Civic as a deathtrap because of two anecdotal fatalities with no information about the severity of the crashes.