Author Topic: Columbia boots  (Read 17379 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Columbia boots
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »
Well an hour at Marks, no go.  All their boots are far too stiff or too high.  Tracy found a pair though...  I was going to go to MEC but it's in a very busy part of town and it's saturday before xmas no thanks.  I'll wait.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 10:45:45 pm »
After I win Powerball tonight, you can be my fashion consultant.

You're on.   8)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:05 am »
Those timerberlands look nice, where to buy?

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 11:57:32 am »
I got a pair  last year at  a shoe store in the Centrum (over on the Farmboy side, somewhere in the middle).

Pretty convenient and warm for everyday use.   They started off stiff for driving (i.e ankle flex), but broke in after a while.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 12:15:21 pm »
Hmmm there is a shoe store there?  I'll take a look thanks.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 01:10:11 pm »
I think it was "Armstrong and Richardson" now that I think about it...

http://www.armstrongandrichardson.com/locations.html

I didn't realize they were an Ottawa company - I figured it was a generic American franchise.   Anyways, they have lots of locations..

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 04:29:22 pm »
Kardood, I went to armstrong and richardson today.  Thank you for the tip!

Not only did they have 2 pairs of timberland boots that I liked, they were actually HELPFUL!   The ones you pointed out were pretty good, but they did not have my size.  They offered to bring them in from another store for me to try tomorrow or Monday.  Now THAT is service!

There was another pair I did like but would like to compare to the first pair as they do not look as warm.  They offered again to hold those for me until Monday as well.

Every other store I visited had no employees or if they did they were unwilling to help or didn't have a clue.  At first when I walked into this store I was a little apprehensive, they said high but didn't come help, but they had the perfect balance between being helpful and being a nuisance.  They let me browse for about 5 min then came over to help.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 02:29:54 pm »
I've had a boot intensive couple of days.

For Christmas, I got those Original Swat 1270s. Although I didn't intend them to be winter boots, after some intensive use in a variety of outdoor conditions, I  think I'm adopting them as my official winter boots. I was surprised that they are very warm and have excellent traction. I didn't really expect that from what is essentially a police/service boot. My primary intent was to use them as Spring boots because they are waterproof and should be able to handle the slush and melting snow.

So, thinking I can use the 1270s in winter, I went to Wholesale Sports to see if I could find a waterproof boot for use in the Spring. I think I found a terrific deal. I got these Danner Ambush GTX boots with a Gortex membrane. Note that outer portion of the upper that zips over the laces. Only $69.67...seems like a fine price for Danners with Goretex.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 02:40:46 pm »
I've had a boot intensive couple of days.

I'd say you did quite well!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 07:24:37 pm »
Only $69.67...seems like a fine price for Danners with Goretex.

I think if you can find Danner GTXs for under $150 you're doing well.....MSRP on those Ambush are around $160 USD..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »

I think if you can find Danner GTXs for under $150 you're doing well.....MSRP on those Ambush are around $160 USD..

Yeah, I was checking some websites and the going rate ranged from about $148 to $164 USD.

Right now, I'm seriously thinking about heading back to the store tomorrow to see if I can pick up one more pair. I saw at least one pair still there in my size. A guy only needs so many pairs of boots (although, I do a LOT of walking) but this seems like a deal that's too good to pass up.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »

Yeah, I was checking some websites and the going rate ranged from about $148 to $164 USD.

Right now, I'm seriously thinking about heading back to the store tomorrow to see if I can pick up one more pair. I saw at least one pair still there in my size. A guy only needs so many pairs of boots (although, I do a LOT of walking) but this seems like a deal that's too good to pass up.

Not sure if you've owned Danner's before...but at the rate they take to wear out, not sure you'll need the second pair... ;D  Also, Danner offers boot reconditioning IF they start to wear out.  Oh..be sure to register your boots with them for warranty...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:16 am »
Ended up with the timberlands.  Will take awhile to get use to not having laces but I like that I can slip them on in seconds.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »
Ended up with the timberlands.  Will take awhile to get use to not having laces but I like that I can slip them on in seconds.

That's pretty much the boots I want to get, I'm tired of having to lace and tie mine up every time I go outside.  Nice.
Mr Pickypants

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 12:03:07 am »
I went boot shopping today at Sport Chek.  Unfortunately most boot styles were sold out of size 9.  That'll learn me for waiting until the end of Boxing Week sales.  I tried a pair of North Face boots but they had a very odd fit.  It was almost as if I had the left boot on my right foot, and vice versa.  :think: The boots also felt quite clunky.  I then tried Merrell's Chameleon Thermo 8 Waterproof Synthetic.  They fit very well, with excellent support and they are rather light.  Time will tell if they meet my initial expectations.  I intend to wear them when shoveling snow, toboganning and the occasional winter hike.  The boots were not on sale - I paid $159.99 plus HST.  Luckily I had $125 in gift cards.

http://www.merrell.com/CA/en-CA/Product.mvc.aspx/M-F-F/19634M/0/Men/Footwear/Filters/Mens/Chameleon-Thermo-8-Waterproof-Synthetic

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:57 am »
Well I actually did go back to Wholesale Sports and picked up a SECOND pair of those Danner Ambush GTX boots. Hopefully, my annual wet Spring boots problem will be solved for several years! And the second pair was still $69.67 so it's a great deal.

I put some of my savings toward a pair nice socks :). The Danners are rather more close fitting and I don't want to wear a heavy winter sock in them. I found an ideal sock. It's the Canadian Veba Hockey/Skate sock. It meets all of my requirements. It's quite thin and it's 80% polypropylene. Polypropylene is the just about the best stuff in the world for wicking away moisture. And, since I want the Danners to be my wet weather boots, these socks seem ideal.

http://www.vebasport.com/skate.html

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • car nut, hockey fan and dog lover
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 BMW 335I, 2005 Ford Focus, 2001 Ford Ranger
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »
These.

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4285560

Warm, comfortable (fit my size 11's like a second skin) and incredibly durable. These tend to last seven to eight years for me, and I wear them almost daily in Winnipeg winters.

I rub them with mink oil every spring, and clean off any accumulation of salt. They will last for a long time if one takes proper care of them.
"It's a great day for hockey!" "Badger" Bob Johnson

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 04:28:48 pm »

I rub them with mink oil every spring,

Many years ago, I had a small plastic tub of "Mink Oil".

The label saying "Mink Oil" on the container was paper. After a few years, that paper label fell off. Underneath the old label were the original markings. The original text on the container just said "White Shoe Cream" :).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:14 pm »
"white shoe cream"...U dirty MINKIE U................ :run:
Time is to stop everything happening at once