Author Topic: Columbia boots  (Read 17387 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Columbia boots
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 05:38:47 pm »
..wot i wants ta know is who stole Bridge's Winter Pirrelli 4 inchers............i'm fingering!! Inco or GiantDwarf............ ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 05:51:34 pm »
Living in northern Canada, if it isn't a Sorel, it isn't a real boot.  Cuz everyone needs a boot rated to -100° Celcius below zero :thumbup:.

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »
My Sorrel boots are 21 years old.  The tread finally wore out and now they are pie-bald.  I'll be looking for another pair...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »
Sadly, the original owners of Sorel went bankrupt about 10 years ago and Columbia bought the brand name. I have a pair of Sorels made in Canada. Sorels today are imported from Vietnam. They are molded to look like "real" Sorels of old but it's a trick...faked molded stitches and fake molded reinforcing. The only difference between these and cheap knock-offs is that Columbia legitimately owns the Sorel name. Otherwise, the RCMP would shut them down as a counterfeit operation.

I have a pair of Canadian military surplus mouse boots made in Canada by Acton. These things are hysterical. They look like something Herman Munster would wear. The soles are about two inches thick. They are as comfy and warm as bedroom slippers. First time I wore them, I thought, "My God, these are the greatest boots ever!". It was like walking around with toasty warm pillows on my feet :). Then, after walking about a mile, I discovered the real problem: the damn things weigh a ton! If I was a sniper sitting in an Afghan foxhole, these would be perfect boots. If you are active, these things will tire you out. They are great to have but they have to be used for specific purposes.

I bought three different pairs of Prospector boots/shoes some years ago. Now those are beauties. I bought a gorgeous pair of casual shoes, some intermediate ankle high boots and some 8" winter boots. And I got them for free (by mistake). The story: some company was having a giant closeout of Prospectors at a local mall. I bought some casual shoes and loved them. I went back for boots. I bought $450.00 worth of footwear on sale for less than $300.00. When my credit card statement came, the charge wasn't there but I just assumed I had missed a cut-off date. Next month, still no charge. I went back to the mall to find the company but they had moved on (they had been in the mall but didn't have a permanent store). I had lost the receipt and had no idea WHO sold me the boots. I never received a bill.

BTW, I've got a pair of these on my Christmas list and I strongly suspect I'll have them on Christmas morning:

http://www.originalswat.com/productdetail.php?product_id=Njc=&category_id=MTM=

Despite the goofy name, these are starting to develop a bit of a following for good value so I want to give them a shot. They aren't winter boots (not for Manitoba) but I want to test them for the Spring when the local area  gets wet and mushy.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 09:07:29 pm »
I guess the hikers should weigh in, too.   ;)

The right boot is the one that fits you, makes you comfortable, and meets your needs and lifestyle.  Personally, I don't think that James needs a $150 boot.

I've got a pair of $200 Garmonts that served me well on the trail, but that was definitely hard use and pretty much what they were meant to sustain (soaking in water, repeated coatings in mud, trudging up and down snow-and-ice-covered trails for 15K at a time, etc.).  After close to 600K, they are done and now need to go to boot heaven. 

I've also got a pair of Prospectors that I bought at Mark's Work Warehouse for $50 about six years ago, and they were great in my pre-hiking days when I just used them as you would, James.  Still have them, and they're great for just walking around in winter.  Warm, great traction and very affordable.

My two cents.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:39:18 pm »
Marks I will also check out.  They have the electric heater ones but I don't need $300 boots either

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 09:54:47 pm »

I've also got a pair of Prospectors that I bought at Mark's Work Warehouse for $50 about six years ago, and they were great in my pre-hiking days when I just used them as you would, James.  Still have them, and they're great for just walking around in winter.  Warm, great traction and very affordable.

It should be noted that "Prospector" is brand name used by H.H. Brown and doesn't actually describe a specific boot. In fact, about 60 different "Prospector" boots were in production recently including the Gortex/leather "Invincible" that I believe sells for over $300.00. Most of the boots are over $150.00.

I'm not sure, though, if Prospectors are currently in production. They can still be found for sale but the new model line seems to end in 2008.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:07 pm »
Just checked.  The leather is stamped "Prospector" with a landscape motif and "Waterproof."  They are a full leather ankle boot with Thinsulate - no Gore-Tex.  And I definitely did not pay $150 for them!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:09 pm »
Marks seems just as pricey as MEC, maybe they have better selection in store.

We have a house showing tomorrow so I will brave the mall ack!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 06:13:59 am »
What are you using the boots to do?
Are you doing any hiking?
I was looking for nice boots a couple of years ago and gave up
I went with rubber overboots http://www.actoncanada.ca/products/index.php?/eng/completedata/17/

I have a pair of crap boot to shovel snow and mess about and wear these I am going out anywhere

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 08:52:27 am »
Walk from house to car to office

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 09:08:28 am »
Then get a pair of rubber overboots
They keep my feet warm enough, go and visit someone, un zipper the over boots and you have your clean shoes on, no need at carry at pair in bag

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:45:41 am »
I've had a pair of Keen casual shoes for over 3 years now.  I, too, have a wide foot so they are a great choice.  They do, however, take some time to get used to.  Prior to these I had a pair of Garmont Nagevi - likely the most comfortable shoes I've owned.  I rarely get any more than 3 years from a pair of shoes/boots.

For winter I wear a pair of Merrell insulated/waterproof slip-on mocs similar to these:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442633697&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302759891

And when the snow is deep I wear an inexpensive pair of pack boots I bought from TSC.

Marks website sucks.  Visit a store instead.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 09:45:54 am »
..but wth rubbers on ya don't feel the snow................. ;) :run: :pimp:

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:31 pm »
Just checked.  The leather is stamped "Prospector" with a landscape motif and "Waterproof."  They are a full leather ankle boot with Thinsulate - no Gore-Tex.  And I definitely did not pay $150 for them!

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I'm not questioning you. I'm pointing out that "Prospector" is a whole line of footwear and doesn't refer to a specific boot. Same as "Chevrolet" doesn't refer to a specific car (an Aveo is not a Corvette but they are both Chevrolets).

Here's what I mean. I just took this picture of some of my Prospectors. All clearly Prospectors but all clearly different:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »
I wasn't being defensive...  ;D  I was confirming (to myself) that my memory was correct.  And yes, I know that "Prospector" is the brand, not the model, just like "Columbia" and "Sorel" are brands.  I'm a girl, Dex.  I know my footwear.   :rofl2:  I like those dark brown ones, by the way.   :thumbup:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »
..playin' footsie eh..................not sure wot yer prospectors!!! are there..... :surrend: :spam:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 03:35:33 pm »
I like those dark brown ones, by the way.   :thumbup:

Can they be worn with jeans?   ;)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »

Yup.  They would look hot with jeans.   ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 03:53:14 pm »

Yup.  They would look hot with jeans.   ;D

After I win Powerball tonight, you can be my fashion consultant.