Author Topic: Hyundai Sonata against Kia Optima [w/poll]  (Read 2875 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Hyundai Sonata against Kia Optima [w/poll]
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:12 am »
The boys from Inside Line decided to pit the two sedans, which share most major components and assemblies, against each other in a no-holds-barred fight for supremacy. Not surprisingly – both use 2.4-liter four cylinder engines (plus or minus California emissions...) and six-speed automatic transmissions, and both weight nearly the same

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/15/korean-war-inside-line-pits-hyundai-sonata-against-kia-optima/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Myself I would have a tough time deciding. I favor the exterior design of the Optima, but respect the metal bending Hyundai is doing with their exterior design.  Interior choice is the Sonata,  not a fan of the inside of the Optima at all.

InsideLine test and results here http://www.insideline.com/kia/optima/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-vs-2011-kia-optima-comparison-test.html

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:53:28 am by MKII »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Hyundai Sonata against Kia Optima [w/poll]
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:56:02 am »
Might be an optical illusion, the the Optima looks to have a slightly higher roofline than the Sonata does, that would result in more headroom space for rear passengers.

With that said, I much prefer the exterior look of the Sonata. As for the interior, while I would be happy with either, I think I prefer the Optima by a little bit. It looks more teutonic to me, which I always like.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:13:44 am »
I generally prefer Kia's styling direction over Hyundai's (Sportage over Tucson, etc), but the exterior of the Optima looks a little clumsy here and there. Still, I prefer the Kia's interior by a fair margin and from the article would prefer the way it drives too. Did not like the steering feel nor the overly bright blue backlighting in my Sonata rental.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:11:46 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:57:20 pm »
I prefer the Kia - the Sonata is a bit overdone with the swoops & curves.  It looks ok in darker colours, but in white or silver it really looks like someone in the styling dept tried way to hard.
The view from the rear is great though.   I've seen a Sonata in a parking lot a couple of times and wasn't sure what I was looking at until I saw the big H on the trunk lid.   I don't recall ever seeing an Optima on the road yet

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:02 pm »
The Kia, hands down, it's Saab 9-5-esque but that's the attraction of it. If it drives reasonably as sporty, I'm sold. The 2011 9-5 is beautiful but a bit out of my budget (just a bit).

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:15:41 pm »
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of either. If I was forced to pick, it'd be the Kia.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:58:01 pm »
Too bad there are so few Kia dealers. If I were to pick and the price were similar I think I'd have went for the Sonata (actually I almost did just 3 months ago).

These cars are really nice for what you pay.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »
$4000 more for the KIA as tested.  They should of dug up a TurboS to compare, they would have priced out close.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:30:06 pm »
Kia for me too. Just prefer the styling. Wonder if it will win the sales awards over the Sonata? Sonata sales seem a bit flat.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12394
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:44:58 pm »
$4000 more for the KIA as tested.  They should of dug up a TurboS to compare, they would have priced out close.

Yep - not a particularly balanced comparison.  For the price of this normally aspirated Kia, I'd rather have a Turbo Sonata.

That said, I think both look good - yet very different from each other both inside and out.  For those taking notes, this is what distinguishes "platform sharing" from "badge engineering".

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »
Wonder if it will win the sales awards over the Sonata?

I wonder this too.  It seems like an odd strategy for Hyundai to have two cars that are so similar.   It worked so well for GM, right?

I think they would have been wise to differentiate the two a little more.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:57:13 pm »
I don't know if they could've done anything more than what they already did when they have 2 mainstream brands competing against each other in the same segment.
By the same token, Forte competes with Elantra, Sportage with Tucson, Sorento with Santa Fe, Rio with Accent. Not much they can do about it.

Given the two choices, I think I would pick Sonata.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:59:21 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 05:05:01 pm »
I wonder this too.  It seems like an odd strategy for Hyundai to have two cars that are so similar.   It worked so well for GM, right?

Given a common platform and the fact that they are similarly sized sedans, how could these two be any more dissimilar?  Exterior and interior look completely different to me.  In fact, it doesn't look to me like they could share a single body panel in common. Perhaps you are placing too much emphasis on the identical paint?  ;)

Hyundai is selling a bunch of Sonatas.  If they sell a bunch more Optimas, how is that bad?  Sure, the Optima will inevitably cannibalize some Sonata sales, but the net result will likely be a bigger piece of the midsize pie gobbled by these siblings.

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:52:52 am »
Wonder if it will win the sales awards over the Sonata?

The difference is that Hyundai doesn't entirely control Kia, only 45% IIRC. Kia is its own entity and can decide to do whatever it wants. To a certain point, of course... if they :censor: off Hyundai and start making them look bad on a permanent basis, Hyundai could look to get rid of their Kia shares.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 07:57:14 am »
oh so that's wot a shares platform Is ::) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 10:45:25 am »
I think I prefer the Sonata.  I like the interior of the Sonata better.  I like the front end styling of the Optima better.  There's something a little awkward, to me, about the side profile of the Optima.  It's the way the window on the back door swoops up.  It just looks awkward to me.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:31 pm »
I think I prefer the Sonata.  I like the interior of the Sonata better.  I like the front end styling of the Optima better.  There's something a little awkward, to me, about the side profile of the Optima.  It's the way the window on the back door swoops up.  It just looks awkward to me.

That's the point I have questions about, too.  I also find the front end a little too Accord-ish.  Still, I think it's a handsome vehicle overall and I look forward to checking one out in person.

Jaeger

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »

That's the point I have questions about, too.  I also find the front end a little too Accord-ish.  Still, I think it's a handsome vehicle overall and I look forward to checking one out in person.

Jaeger

Those swooping up rear windows remind me of the Lexus LS.