Author Topic: Push for snow tire rebate  (Read 10404 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Push for snow tire rebate
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 01:39:31 pm »
A person driving a 94 Cavalier can buy Nexen winter tires for dirt cheap, and with a car prone to breaking down I think winter tires are the least of their worries. Maybe taking transit when conditions are really bad is the better option. I was making decent money coming out of college and didn't buy a car until two years after graduating. Never saw a need to waste my money on one until then.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 01:39:55 pm »
I can't see insurance companies offering more than 5% rebate.  I can't remember where I read it yesterday, but the Quebec government announced the accident rate was down 5% last year compared to the previous year when snow tires weren't mandated.  I'm not a statistics expert, but I would guess that any year over year difference could be 5%.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »
A person driving a 94 Cavalier can buy Nexen winter tires for dirt cheap, and with a car prone to breaking down I think winter tires are the least of their worries. Maybe taking transit when conditions are really bad is the better option. I was making decent money coming out of college and didn't buy a car until two years after graduating. Never saw a need to waste my money on one until then.

How can you not understand this?  Some people struggle to put food on the table.  How do they afford winter tires?  I guess they should not be driving then eh?

Public transit isn't always an option.  I live in a City of 27,000, there's no public transit.  You could walk everywhere I guess, with your two year old in your arms. 

Like I said, I don't disagree with mandating them.  However, I have compassion for people that will absolutely not be able to afford them and would get fined, etc.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »
"Don't you have any compassion?  What about a single mother that scrapes by and drives a '94 Cavalier thats worth 2 cents.  You think her vehicle should be seized and she should be fined $500?" - I don't have compassion for that. If you can't afford it, don't drive. Take the bus.

Driving is a privilege not a right, if you can't afford the privilege too bad. People's safety is more important.

BTW, annual inspections would also be welcome in my books. Too many junkers on the road.

What about people driving around without auto insurance because they "couldn't afford it", should they be given compassion? No way. No $, no driving. Simple

Someone mentioned earlier about Nokian all-weather tires, these would be fine since they are rated for winter driving (mountain peak and snowflake). These kind of tires are fine, winter rated tires.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:58:09 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 02:13:41 pm »
Public transit isn't always an option.  I live in a City of 27,000, there's no public transit.  You could walk everywhere I guess, with your two year old in your arms.

I'd actually tell them to get a stroller, might be easier.  Can I ask what city of only 27,000 people is too big to walk? I lived in a city of 300,00 people and was able to walk through most of it. I was always shocked when other people would gasp when I told them where I walked to. I would be thinking, seriously?

What about people driving around without auto insurance because they "couldn't afford it", should they be given compassion? No way. No $, no driving. Simple

Can't argue that. :thumbup:

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 02:31:55 pm »
Just exempting snow tires from the McGuinty tire tax would help. That's $26.50 including the McGuinty HST for a set of four.

Another McGuinty promise wings its way to the great Liberal promise heaven in the sky. See the attachment.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:39:33 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 03:19:09 pm »
I'd actually tell them to get a stroller, might be easier.  Can I ask what city of only 27,000 people is too big to walk? I lived in a city of 300,00 people and was able to walk through most of it. I was always shocked when other people would gasp when I told them where I walked to. I would be thinking, seriously?

Valid argument.  Very difficult with a child (children) in winter conditions where walks are not always cleared and temperatures can be below -20 for more than a week at a time.  I'm nitpicking here and getting off topic, but many of the streets here don't even have sidewalks (seriously), especially once you get into the industrial portions of the city.   If I were to walk to work, a good portion of the walk would have to be on the roadway/boulevard without a walk. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 03:24:33 pm »
Someone mentioned earlier about Nokian all-weather tires, these would be fine since they are rated for winter driving (mountain peak and snowflake). These kind of tires are fine, winter rated tires.

I agree.  I had the WR's on a Civic, and found them to be very good.  However, I feel the criteria for meeting the winter service rating for tires should be revised.   Some the truck tires out there with the winter service rating are no better than a lot of all seasons.  I really don't know how they get the rating, possibly softer compound, good in deep snow with the large tread?  Terrible on ice though, and thats where it counts the most.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 03:38:10 pm »
..Just hang in there Deniers... ;) ....GLOWBALL WARMING'S gonna FIX all this nonsense......................jeez when Did decent Winters become available!!!! 3 years ago before that they were for Tractors!! :P........been 30 years in Canuckland.....mainly Ontario.....and drove what would now be considered crappy biased ply TYRES!!....on various autos......to ski country and beyond......never once in a ditch...needed a few boosts as too poor fer a new battery some years........BUT GIVE US A BREAK......if the weather is so bad and everyone has to slow down so should U BRAGGARDS with yer new Top O the Line Snow Tyres who think yer SuperRALLYEMAN........

Drive within the CONDITIONS don't expect TYRES to Eliminate the CONDITIONS   sheeeshhh!!!! :banghead: :bang: :thumbdown:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 04:02:54 pm »
Just to throw some gas on the fire, what about all the cab, taxi and limousine services that never use winter tires but get around all year just fine? Sure they bang into each other once in a while, but if it was truly that severe an issue they'd all have them on the cars. I got a ride to the airport a while back in a town car and was talking to the guy about just this topic. He said he's never used winters, never needed them, it's just all about how you drive...and let me tell you, he wasn't holding up any traffic! You know, I could walk around all day with protective body armour on, it would be safer, but I don't think I will...our society has gotten way to focused on everything being safe, we don't have to think for ourselves anymore.

BTW, I am enjoying this debate, lots of good topics coming out here.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »
Never said winter tires eliminate the need to drive accordingly. You must drive according to road conditions and traffic. They do help though in emergency situations, prevent getting stuck on my street that never gets plowed or when some moron cuts in front of you.

They are proven to be safer and provide superior grip compared to all-seasons. Look at a Toronto Police car's tires in winter... they use winter tires as well!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:05:56 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »
 ::)... :stick: paid BY for ME ,,,the taxpayer.......... ;) >:D :skid: :skid: :skid: :cp2: :cp2: :cp2: :drv2: :drv2: :drv2:...one of 'em nearly slid out a side street into me Today.....COMPUTER GLITCH...........coffee break  BRAKE..... :surrend: :spam:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 04:20:24 pm »
Just to throw some gas on the fire, what about all the cab, taxi and limousine services that never use winter tires but get around all year just fine?

Don't know about other cities but I've noticed here in Toronto that taxi/limo all have winter tires. Must be a bylaw because I don't imagine every taxi driver would be buying winter tires.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »
Absolutely should not be a tax rebate for them - my car, my cost - your car, your cost. But I don't believe they should be mandatory. Places like Lethbridge one can get by without all seasons 98% of the time. If you are willing not to drive on those days then no worries. BUT if you have an accident because you are running insufficient tires (either bald at any time or summer tires in the winter) then be prepared to be fined and/or found at fault.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »
Insurance should be void if the vehicle isn't equipped with snows. Let the pitbulls do the enforcing! ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:24:29 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 11:17:56 pm »
Insurance should be void is the vehicle isn't equipped with snows. Let the pitbulls do the enforcing! ;D

SCREW THAT!!! 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 11:24:09 pm »
Insurance should be void is the vehicle isn't equipped with snows. Let the pitbulls do the enforcing! ;D

SCREW THAT!!! 

They could do the same thing for mechanical inspections and cellphone use. Car not recently inspected, no insurance. Accident while talking on cellphone, no payout! Idiots get nailed, and rates go down. It's a win-win situation!

Consider that my modest proposal! :rofl2:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:25:55 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:27 pm »

SCREW THAT!!! 

They could do the same thing for mechanical inspections and cellphone use. Car not recently inspected, no insurance. Accident while talking on cellphone, no payout! Idiots get nailed, and rates go down. It's a win-win situation!

Yea..like we all need the insurance industry to decide if a claim is payable or not all on their own.  Will end up being like US medical Insurance companies.

"Sorry, there was a pebble in the tread of your tire, and we feel that inhibits the traction and handling in emergency situations.  Claim is denied. "

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 07:36:29 am »

SCREW THAT!!! 

He he.....and here's the first thing you get when you go to make a claim;

And then here's a typical "discussion" about the validity of your claim;

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:24 am »
 :rofl2:...Use the frying PAN Manuel and give Sir Osis a dose of his own medicine.................. ;D