Author Topic: Cell Phone Ban Coming to Alberta Too  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Cell Phone Ban Coming to Alberta Too
« on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:57 am »
Received this from a client of mine, interesting to see it goes beyond just cell phones/electronic devices and also includes grooming, reading, writing and other distractions:

Regulatory alert___________________________________

Alberta distracted driving legislation to restrict use of cell phones Alberta’s Bill 16, Traffic Safety (Distracted Driving) Amendment Act, 2010, passed third reading November 17, 2010.  The bill amends the Traffic Safety Act to restrict the use of hand-held cell phones and activities like texting, reading, writing, personal grooming and puts restrictions on using other electronic devices while driving.  The use of hands-free phones is permitted. Radio communication devices such as CB radios are allowed for commercial purposes and search and rescue services.  Drivers may use hand-held devices to contact emergency service.  Drivers engaged in any of the restricted activities can be charged under the new law.  A distracted driver could face additional charges if they commit other violations such as running a red light or making an improper lane change.  The legislation will come into force on proclamation, with an anticipated grace period, and could take effect by the middle of 2011.
Access Bill 16:
http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_files/docs/bills/bill/legislature_27/session_3/20100204_bill-016.pdf
Access the Traffic Safety Act:
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-t-6/latest/rsa-2000-c-t-6.html
Access related fact sheet:
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType48/Production/Bill_16_Fact_Sheet.pdf
Access related website (includes Q&A): http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Phone Ban Coming to Alberta Too
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:06:04 am »
Looks like Alberta wants to get in on the gravy train  $$$$$$$$$ ALL ABOARD!! $$$$$$$$$
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »
Personally I think there are too many available distractions to warrant legislating a law against every one of them. Take away phones and they'll put something else on their dashboard, in their hands or somewhere else (yikes!) to fiddle with. We need better driver training and smarter drivers, not more laws. We need early behind-the-wheel education to reflect the seriousness of distracted driving, and potentially some creative driver education practices that hit the message home.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:40:11 pm »
One thing I noticed is this:  "Radio communication devices such as CB radios are allowed for commercial purposes and search and rescue services"

If I recall correctly, it is illegal to use CB radio for commercial purposes.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »
..Breaker   breaker... fresh hookers @ Mel's STOP @ come GO................ :-[
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
I hate to break it to you, but a law won't make a difference; it didn't in my province.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
Have to agree the aaronk. We don't need any more laws. There are laws in place already for this. We need better driver training. Canada's worst driver is evidence of how easy it is to get a drivers license in this country.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:57:51 pm »
Have to agree the aaronk. We don't need any more laws. There are laws in place already for this. We need better driver training. Canada's worst driver is evidence of how easy it is to get a drivers license in this country.
That show is terrifying and I really think that some of those folks need to loose their licenses. They have no capability to be driving at all. Some people have it... others just don't. It's insane.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 07:54:59 am »
 ::) loose licenses kill..... :P loosey goosey drivers do too.............i got mine inna CoCo POPS cereal box...............but i have to eat 2 boxes a day to keep it active :'( :'( :'(

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:52:34 am »
I used to enjoy chatting on my personal cell, the company cell, eating a hamburger, and shaving all at the same time.    :'(  :'(
So much for multitasking.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:54:21 am by duck »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 09:53:37 am »
..don't ya just hate it when the wee whisker hairs get caught in the burger ketchup........... :hurl:

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:51 am »
..don't ya just hate it when the wee whisker hairs get caught in the burger ketchup........... :hurl:

Yup!   ;D

The law should be called "Death to Multitasking."

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 07:56:51 am »

Yup!   ;D

The law should be called "Death to Multitasking."
And they should enforce it.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 10:13:42 am »
They've had a ban in place in Ontario for some time now.

From what I observe, it's making absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in people's behaviour.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 11:05:47 am »
They've had a ban in place in Ontario for some time now.

From what I observe, it's making absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in people's behaviour.
Same here in Nova Scotia.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 11:39:31 am »
Which shows the pointlessness of passing laws that the public just don't see the point of.

MOST people have been making/receiving  cell phone calls in their cars on handheld phones cars for some years without crashing or causing other to crash and can see no reason why they should be forced to stop doing so or to add stuff to their cars or wear dorky earphones to continue.

The correct thing would have been, probably, for Transport Canada to have ruled that all cars should have Bluetooth since about 2001 or so ( when Bluetooth became reliable).

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 12:36:22 pm »
Which shows the pointlessness of passing laws that the public just don't see the point of.

MOST people have been making/receiving  cell phone calls in their cars on handheld phones cars for some years without crashing or causing other to crash and can see no reason why they should be forced to stop doing so or to add stuff to their cars or wear dorky earphones to continue.

The correct thing would have been, probably, for Transport Canada to have ruled that all cars should have Bluetooth since about 2001 or so ( when Bluetooth became reliable).

All cars should come equipped with Faraday cages, problem solved.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 02:37:23 pm »
..I prefer to let my Faraday run free............................. :run: