Author Topic: What's with Subaru windshields?  (Read 6395 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
What's with Subaru windshields?
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
I have be preemptively shopping for a replacement for the Echo...in case.  I have been looking at Subarus for their AWD.  However, at least 5 of the Subarus I have called about need a new windshield as they have cracked.  Is there a problem with Subaru windshields?  Or was this just coincidence?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: What's with Subaru windshields?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:05:23 pm »
Rust underneath a windshield can crack it, usually from the edge. How old were they?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:10:21 pm »
Rust underneath a windshield can crack it, usually from the edge. How old were they?

It has to be more than that.  Seriously..in all my car shopping time of a single model, I have never seen such a thing.

How old?  No more than 10 years or so.  Though one of them was a 1998.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:17:21 pm »
Well, in Alberta, we don't sand the roads.  We have dump trucks spewing rocks on the streets all winter.  Therefore, almost every car has a cracked windscreen.  My Forester has about five good cracks and the Corolla has one long one.

So, I can't speak to a potential difference, as most cars here have cracked glass.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 06:27:51 pm »
Well, in Alberta, we don't sand the roads.  We have dump trucks spewing rocks on the streets all winter.  Therefore, almost every car has a cracked windscreen.  My Forester has about five good cracks and the Corolla has one long one.

So, I can't speak to a potential difference, as most cars here have cracked glass.

I agree with John, same situation here.  No or little salt/chemical de-icer (that is good) but lost of gravel sized traction aid spread around (bad for paint and windshields).  The Forester now has over 66,000 kms and is on its 3rd winter.  I have done 8 chip repairs and so far, no cracks.  Our Sienna, after 7 winters, is now on its 2nd windshield and may need a new one come spring.  That is with less than 100,000 kms on it.  My Pathfinder went through 3 windshields in the 4 years I had it.

Do Subaru's have less crack resistant windshield than other brands?  In my experience, for our conditions, no.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »

This is Ontario.  I've looked at many other brands of cars in my years of shopping and have never seen any cars with cracked windshields like these Subarus.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 06:30:26 pm »
Don't some Subies have a heating element in the windshield under the wipers parl position?  If so that could cause some differential heating and cracking.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »
Don't some Subies have a heating element in the windshield under the wipers parl position?  If so that could cause some differential heating and cracking.

Hmmm...wonder if that could be it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:40:18 pm »

It has to be more than that.  Seriously..in all my car shopping time of a single model, I have never seen such a thing.

Our Outback had a couple of stone chips, had them repaired and can't see them now.  Dunno if the glass is prone to cracking otherwise.
BTW,  if you're looking at Outbacks the 2000 and newer are nicer.

Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:41:47 pm »

Our Outback had a couple of stone chips, had them repaired and can't see them now.  Dunno if the glass is prone to cracking otherwise.

Yea..checked into a couple.  What mileage is head gaskets an issue?

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 06:48:38 pm »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:51:49 pm »

My daughter Tucson has the same feature and is still on the original windshield, after 5 Quebec winters.

Hmmm...wonder if that could be it.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 06:53:10 pm »

Yea..checked into a couple.  What mileage is head gaskets an issue?

Some info here:
http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html

Mostly though, it's the pre-2000 DOHC engines.  
Get an Outback with the 3.0 H-6, no gasket problems, nice and smooth. That or get an older car with the 2.0.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 06:55:23 pm »

Get an Outback with the 3.0 H-6, no gasket problems, nice and smooth. That or get an older car with the 2.0.

If I get an H6, it will be in an SVX.... ;)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »

Those things have stupid expensive glass in them.

Come to the dark side.
http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/show.php?table=pm_audifans_Cars&id=5680

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:09:18 pm »

Those things have stupid expensive glass in them.

Come to the dark side.
http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/show.php?table=pm_audifans_Cars&id=5680

I'm no opposed to an Audi (would love an A8 some day).  Are there any Audis that: a) Can be had for under $4,000 b) that won't bankrupt me in repairs. c) will be reliable as a winter beater

Show me such an Audi..and I'm interested..

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »
I think you're on to something. I was just reading in the clubwrx forum and lots of folks are complaining about windshields that crack easily.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyday-impreza-talk/3893-cracked-windshield-please-report-yours.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
I think you're on to something. I was just reading in the clubwrx forum and lots of folks are complaining about windshields that crack easily.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyday-impreza-talk/3893-cracked-windshield-please-report-yours.html

It's odd for sure.  I looked at dozens of Echos, dozens of IS350, IS300, Supras, NSXs, Vipers, Z06, etc.  No cracked windshields.  I look at Subarus...cracked windshields.  Very odd.

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
I've got well over 200,000 km on my '01 Legacy and I think I'm on my 4th windshield.  And my current windshield is also cracked, starting at the bottom.
It seems a lot of the cracks start from hard rock hits along the lower portion of the windshield, where the heating element is.  Could it be that that part of the windshield has no give to it?  Is the windshield mounted right over part of the frame?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »
No issues yet, but thanks for making me paranoid! ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken