Author Topic: Can gutter screens actually cause ice dams on roof's edge?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Can gutter screens actually cause ice dams on roof's edge?
« on: December 14, 2010, 05:02:46 pm »
I posted this same message on a home improvement web site and got zero responses. I thought I would give it a try here.

I was wondering if anyone here has installed gutter screens and seen them be the cause of ice build up.

Here was my posting:

This year I had gutter screens installed. They are rigid metal ones that are screwed in. They have fine holes in them. They have been great. No debris has accumulated on them all the leaves just blew off.

Now that winter is here I am afraid they may have created a problem. I noticed on back of house there is about a 3 inch layer of ice across most of the gutter. I went on a ladder to checked roof today and the ice is only on the gutter. There is no ice on the roof (just snow). If I brush the snow away along the edge I see the shingles.

My house was renovated in 2006. I been in it for 3 Montreal winters there has been zero problems with ice or icicles. None at all. The house has been great in that respect.

Now I am worried that these gutter screens are going to cause problems in winter. Right now the ice on top of the gutter is level with the leading edge of the shingles.

Could the gutter screens be the cause of the ice build up? I do not even understand what heat source would cause the snow to melt and turn to ice. Weird......

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: Can gutter screens actually cause ice dams on roof's edge?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »
Water running down the roof will settle on the screen and over time could build up I guess, but warm days would melt it first and solve that problem. At first I thought you meant water had built up in the trough and since that isn't happening I don't see it as being a problem.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:00:50 pm »
I usually have ice problems at the edge of my roof because of the design of my house (a cape cod cottage).

My understanding with ice dams is that they form when water hits cold metal, so I would think anything metal would cause the problem... but I'm no professional.

Here a link that may be useful

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/gemare/gemare_001.cfm

I had some insulation work done this past summer and a wire installed along the edge of the roof, to hopefully minimize ice build up. It's on a thermostat, so I just plug it in and leave it... but I'm not sure if it's doing any good. Damn those icicles look big now.  :-\

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:04:15 pm »
I see a house in my area has those heater wires on the first 3 feet of the roof to keep the snow melted....Wonder if you could put one of those on the grate?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »
I've wondered the same thing, so didn't bother putting any guards  on mine...

Someone really needs to design a better eavestrough - something that will handle rain/ice/snow/leaves/debris without maintenance.     

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:37:55 am »
Your attic doesn't have enough ventilation to the outside.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:22 am »
Wet One! :o

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:50:22 am »
I believe he already wrote the house had been renovated with 0 ice problems for three years. His problem with ice has just been since he installed gutter shields.
What's the pitch of your roof?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:30:33 am »

I agree.  Warm air is reaching the singles one way or the other.  "Renovation" seldom tackles an inadequate rafter design. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:41:10 am »

I agree.  Warm air is reaching the singles one way or the other.  "Renovation" seldom tackles an inadequate rafter design. 
He said he has not had any previous issue with his roof. I'm not going to speculate.
Shows up some pics of your current rafter ventilation Slybry. :ttiwwp:
Railton

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:33:14 pm »
..Have you had a couple of FREEZE/ THAW cycles.............and are the gutters overflowing................. ???..............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:18:34 pm »

He said he has not had any previous issue with his roof. I'm not going to speculate.
Shows up some pics of your current rafter ventilation Slybry. :ttiwwp:
Railton

Sheesh.  He didn't have any issues HE WAS AWARE OF.  Combination probably of warm water hitting the cold air/steel and since the gutters now have shielding on them, the water is probably freezing on top of the shielding rather than inside the troughs which in all probability it was doing before and not visible. 

From experience, the best kind of gutter screening/guards are the ones that look like a grate in a diamond pattern and are made out of metal (usually aluminum),  they still allow the little stuff through but also provide plenty of drainage and stop the big stuff from getting in.

Once the spring comes and the ice melts, have a look where the eave troughs connect to the fascia and look for signs of water damage / staining.  The best way to find the solution is the process of elimination. 

As Railton says though.... we need to see pictures to determine what the slope of your roof is etc.....

The last few winters we've had were mild.... maybe that's why it wasn't noticed.  I dunno.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:20:35 pm by Wetson »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »
As Railton says though.... we need to see pictures to determine what the slope of your roof is etc.....

What we need is pics taken from inside the attic directed towards were the rafters (assuming rafters) contact the top plate of the wall.  That should solve the mystery.  :popo: