Author Topic: Volkswagen Announces Golf R for U.S. Market  (Read 11907 times)

vdk

Volkswagen Announces Golf R for U.S. Market
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »

Volkswagen Announces Golf R for U.S. Market
by: Jamie Vondruska

After running numerous polls in our forums, campaigning endlessly to try and convince VW to offer the Golf R here and all the behind the scenes negotiations that took place at Volkswagen of America we finally have good news - the Golf R is coming to America.

Volkswagen of America announced today that it will offer the 260hp, all-wheel-drive Golf R in both two-door *and* four-door (yeah!) configurations starting 4th quarter of 2011. A six-speed manual transmission will be the only transmission offered in our market. We expect the Golf R to be available in two trim levels, both well equipped. All cars will have Climatronic and leather seating standard. The seats will be the top sport seats with "R" logos embroidered on the headrests (see photo below). The higher trim level will offer RNS-310 navigation, Dynaudio sound system, a sunroof and Kessy keyless start. Volkswagen is holding off on pricing announcements till closer to launch in 4th quarter of 2011. We expect pricing to start below $34k though so long as the dollar and Euro don't get more out of wack.

This has been a very long project that a few key people at Volkswagen of America and Germany worked hard to make happen. For the first time the Golf R will be available in both 2-door and 4-door variations in our market. Certifying two different transmissions would have been costly and drove the price up further, so the decision was made to stick with the six-speed manual. Colors will be announced later with pricing. Until then, Volkswagen of Germany is tooling things up to prepare for production next year and we'll wait patiently (yeah right) till we hear more.

And there was much rejoicing...

vdk

Re: Volkswagen Announces Golf R for U.S. Market
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 03:46:07 pm »
And as long as they bring these cars to a dealership near you, I don't care how boring the new Passat/NMS is.

Needless to say - I want one!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 03:49:58 pm »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!

Am I safe to assume that US Market also means Great White North market?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:54:52 pm »
No you are not safe... but the car should be importable with no problem.

If it is $34K in the US it will be a bit above $40k here I'd bet so we can look forward to a lonnnnnggg thread about how so many other cars are better value/more reliable/ have better economy/are made by Hyundai(Buick,Toyota,Honda,Subaru) with all the usual suspects joining in.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 04:04:13 pm »
Thats what I figured, but here's to hoping.
Would be mega fun to drive this and a GTI back to back.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »
- 260hp ... nice!
- all-wheel-drive ... nicer than FWD
- four-door (yeah!) ... yeah! again
- six-speed manual transmission will be the only transmission ... awesome
- All cars will have Climatronic and leather seating standard ... ok fine I'll take it :)
- higher trim level will offer nav, Dynaudio, sunroof and keyless start ... don't want no stinkin' luxury! Base trim for me.

If it is $34K in the US it will be a bit above $40k here I'd bet so we can look forward to a lonnnnnggg thread about how so many other cars are better value/more reliable/ have better economy/are made by Hyundai(Buick,Toyota,Honda,Subaru) with all the usual suspects joining in.

The most direct competitor is obviously the Subaru WRX Limited at $36 400.  A Better interior and more features for a few grand more is not unreasonable.  If it ever makes it to Canada.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »
Agreed.  This car is pretty darn ideal.

Hope it makes it to Canada, though pricing may be pretty steep.

I too would guess Sti prices (at least).  Considering a Golf is not exactly huge, some would likely cross shop this with a 135i.  A bit apples to oranges (RWD coupe vs AWD hatch), but both sporty and luxurious.

vdk

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:40:06 pm »
Yes at VMango said, I imagine the R will cost about as much as an STI. And such a fair bit more than a WRX - it's main competitor given the hp figures, AWD etc.

But hey, more power is just a reflash away! ;D

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:14:36 pm »
It will be interesting to have a drive in one when/if it comes to Canada. I'm not so sure it will be $10,000 better than the GTI, but I guess I'll have to drive one and see. To be honest, I was hoping that it wouldn't come with a manual transmission: if it only had the DSG I could write it off my list, but now I might be tempted to upgrade.  :-\

But, from some of the foreign reviews I've read, it seems that the R has lost a bit of the fun, nimble, tossable nature of the GTI. While it will certainly be faster than a GTI, I'm not so sure it will handle better or be appreciably more fun to drive.

I suppose the AWD will be an advantage in the winter, but FWD has never failed to get me anywhere I've needed to go. And the R is still a nose-heavy car with the engine hanging out in front of the axle, so I doubt the AWD will give much handling advantage in the dry.

IMO, the real reason for AWD in this car is simply to get the extra power to the ground without excessive torque steer. I could see that being a huge advantage for a guy who would want to chip a GTI, but since I'm happy with the stock output it's not such a big deal to me.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:17:34 pm »
I want those seats!

I HAVE those seats  ;D

Now, to get me the rest of that car.

My money says this WILL NOT be coming to Canada. Here is hoping the CDN dollar stays strong.

IMO, the real reason for AWD in this car is simply to get the extra power to the ground without excessive torque steer. I could see that being a huge advantage for a guy who would want to chip a GTI, but since I'm happy with the stock output it's not such a big deal to me.

Agree with this. Since I get to traction until 3rd gear (and sometimes not depending on the road) it would be nice to have the AWD for better hook up.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 05:55:05 pm »
This is an amazing package indeed.  My fear is the weight as well, I remember the past R32 being heavy, but it was a V6.  I'm going to check weights on the euro sites

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:07:49 pm »
UK GTI = 1318KG
UK Golf R = 1521KG

Canadian GTI = 1389KG (F'n safety features)

So the Canadian/American R should be roughly 1602KG (3531lbs)  Slightly heavier then a STi and EVO, much heavier then a similar powered WRX, but WAAAY more refined then any of them.

Should be a compelling vehicle.....I may have to check one out in a few years.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 07:47:06 pm »
My lust knows no bounds (even though my wallet does) when it comes to this car.  It would be amazing to have it come to Canada.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
Matches the description of my Audi, except the Golf R has less torque, less luxury, more HP and is new/under a warranty. Still, if the colour choice is better than the GTi, it might make a good replacement. I also have this sinking feeling they will put a hefty price tag on it which will drive most away. Its happened before with these R's. 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »
UK GTI = 1318KG
UK Golf R = 1521KG

Canadian GTI = 1389KG (F'n safety features)

So the Canadian/American R should be roughly 1602KG (3531lbs)  Slightly heavier then a STi and EVO, much heavier then a similar powered WRX, but WAAAY more refined then any of them.

Should be a compelling vehicle.....I may have to check one out in a few years.

That is a lot of extra weight over a GTI, sadly. :(
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
AWD drive train adds weight, n'est-ce pas?   Glad to see a good old manual transmission.  

vdk

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 09:58:26 pm »
260 isn't THAT much power for something 3500 pounds.....

320hp and 320 tqs is just a chip away. Good thing is, the reflash is on the market already.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 10:10:30 pm »
But with all the extra weight, would it really justify the price tag over top of a GTI? Its still going to be nose heavy anyways.

vdk

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 11:05:20 pm »
Well you're paying for AWD and about 70hp. Is it worth 10 grand? I don't think so. But as an overall package just maybe.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »
Well you're paying for AWD and about 70hp. Is it worth 10 grand? I don't think so. But as an overall package just maybe.

I think this car is intended for people who just really really really want a fast Golf and don't care much about the competitors at this price level.