Author Topic: Volkswagen Announces Golf R for U.S. Market  (Read 11900 times)

vdk

Re: Volkswagen Announces Golf R for U.S. Market
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 12:38:43 am »
In a way I do agree. I don't see regular folks passing on an entry level Bimmer for this. I would though.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 01:20:49 am »
Best automotive news in ages!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:33 am »
I really like this car. AWD and some extra HP. I hope that the new engine does not have the silly noise tube. If they stretch 6th gear out to srop the RPM down to say 2500 at 120kph (which they should given that the base engine could easily handel this) this would be just about perfect as an all around car. A solid high way cruiser, all season (AWD) fun car with a nice interior and the utility of 4 doors and a hatch. It would adress nearly everything I'd want about my GTI

I will complain about the price!

34 US with the dollar almost at Par wwould be less than 35K Canadian not over 40 K. I know they will price it as they like and I cn't change it. I know it will be limited edition and they can make an extra few thousand in profit on the few they will sell becuase they can set their price.

But at 35K its what I would want as a replacement for the GTI I could likley live with for a long time. At 40 K plus there is no chance I'd get one and that makes me sad.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 07:35:59 am »
UK GTI = 1318KG
UK Golf R = 1521KG

Canadian GTI = 1389KG (F'n safety features)

So the Canadian/American R should be roughly 1602KG (3531lbs)  Slightly heavier then a STi and EVO, much heavier then a similar powered WRX, but WAAAY more refined then any of them.

Should be a compelling vehicle.....I may have to check one out in a few years.

That is a lot of extra weight over a GTI, sadly. :(

An AWD system typically adds 200-250 pounds by itself... And the GTI isn't a light car to begin with; it's a German vehicle, afterall, it's got to feel like a tank!  :)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 07:45:24 am »
I really like this car. AWD and some extra HP. I hope that the new engine does not have the silly noise tube. If they stretch 6th gear out to srop the RPM down to say 2500 at 120kph (which they should given that the base engine could easily handel this) this would be just about perfect as an all around car. A solid high way cruiser, all season (AWD) fun car with a nice interior and the utility of 4 doors and a hatch. It would adress nearly everything I'd want about my GTI

34 US with the dollar almost at Par wwould be less than 35K Canadian not over 40 K. I know they will price it as they like and I cn't change it. I know it will be limited edition and they can make an extra few thousand in profit on the few they will sell becuase they can set their price.

But at 35K its what I would want as a replacement for the GTI I could likley live with for a long time. At 40 K plus there is no chance I'd get one and that makes me sad.

Well the R comes in fully loaded trim only, does it not? A GTI with the Luxury Leather Package ($2,600) goes for $35k. It's not unreasonable to ask $3-4k on top of that for the R...  AWD alone is usually around a $2k premium, and bigger engine another $2k. Add another $1k for the privilege of driving an exclusive 'Golf R' and you're quickly at that $40k mark. ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 08:38:47 am »
Well the R comes in fully loaded trim only, does it not? A GTI with the Luxury Leather Package ($2,600) goes for $35k. It's not unreasonable to ask $3-4k on top of that for the R...  AWD alone is usually around a $2k premium, and bigger engine another $2k. Add another $1k for the privilege of driving an exclusive 'Golf R' and you're quickly at that $40k mark. ;)

Have agree with that price which would be the base R price as there is at least one option package you can add. Again, I'm thinking this will not make it to Canada so we will never have to worry about that. Start saving your $US if you want to buy one.

As to is this car worth the premium over the GTi, that would be up to the individual buyer. Is a BMW M car worth more than a regular BMW? Is the STI worth more than a WRX? Some say yes, others (usually without the money  ;D) say no.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 08:47:59 am »
Yeah - a full load GTI is $37K & change, so the R would be well north of $40.  Wonder if we will ever get the chance to actually find out.
After my initial excitement, i'd wager that if I had to choose between the two, i'd probably go with the GTI.  Why?

- Probably not worth the min. $5,000 price premium
- GTI's a great handler even with fwd.  Would awd be that much better?
- Stock 2.0T probably has enough juice for me, if not, more is a chip away (same with R, i know..)
- I'd prefer the DSG (Gasp!!    Please don't ban me)

For me, i only want a manual in a true sports car - meaning something you pull out of the garage on a nice summer night or weekends.   For a daily driver, a DSG tranny seems ideal - sharp shifting & some fun when you want it, and auto convenience when you don't feel like shifting in traffic, which for me would be always.  Although.... if the R is that good, i might throw that rule out the window...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 08:51:45 am »
If the R is sold here then in 2013 I guess I'll have three choices at my VW dealer:

An R
A GTI
A Golf TDI Highline  with HID lights ( just like the US model) added to it.

I won't go to the USA to buy an R** but if Canadian dealers will do the import and offer some kind of warranty without upsetting the marketing gurus at VW Canada... well we will see.

** I won't go to the US to buy anything.

@WxyOne   I think I like the DSG as well but I am not yet convinced that I wouldn't save the money and buy a 6mt in my next car...if 6mt is still available anywhere.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 08:56:26 am »
Great news.

The humble Golf is a great car to toss around, so I can imagine how much fun the R will be especially in winter.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 12:10:36 pm »
 ::) tpl someone has taken the Pith out of You.....................OR   have u decided to come out of the SpaceCollider.......!!!!! ;).....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 12:37:27 pm »
A lot of VW (and Mazda and Volvo and Saab) owners tend to run on winter tires in the winter, no one's complaining about the winter traction. I don't think the AWD is there for better winter traction, the AWD is there to provide better all round grip and handling.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 01:22:38 pm »

Like I said 34 K US is leas than 35 K Canadian. Becuase they overprice the Base GTI in Canada doesn't make any less palatable in terms of my buying power that the R will also overpriced.

I understand why they do it..becuase they can..doesn't mean I like it.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 02:00:36 pm »
Have it on good word plans are underway to offer the Golf R in Canada this time around.  :skid:
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

vdk

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 03:15:00 pm »
A lot of VW (and Mazda and Volvo and Saab) owners tend to run on winter tires in the winter, no one's complaining about the winter traction. I don't think the AWD is there for better winter traction, the AWD is there to provide better all round grip and handling.

I would pay for AWD right now. That traction control light in the dash keeps blinking, very annoying!

For me this would be the perfect car: great interior, good engine + mods, looks good, AWD traction, good handling, versatile. Overall - possibly the best choice out there for me.

vdk

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 07:49:23 pm »
Most GTI owners have their cars reflashed. The same applies to WRX and STI owners I'd think.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »

Like I said 34 K US is leas than 35 K Canadian. Becuase they overprice the Base GTI in Canada doesn't make any less palatable in terms of my buying power that the R will also overpriced.

I understand why they do it..becuase they can..doesn't mean I like it.

I'm loving this Golf R and I hope it makes it to Canada. If it does, it will be interesting what VW does with the pricing. Is it going to be priced as a limited edition car for VW enthusiasts, or is it going to be priced to sell in reasonable volumes and compete with cars like the Subaru WRX, WRX STi, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, EVO??

- WRX Hatch MSRP Base/Limited = $33.4K/$36.4K,
- Mitsubishi Ralliart Base/Premium = $32K - $36.2K

- WRX STi Sedan Base/Sports Tech. = $38K/$41.6K
- WRX STi Sedan Base/Sports Tech. = $38.9K/$42.5K
- Mitsubishi EVO GSR Base/Premium = $42K-$45K
- Mitsubishi EVO MR = $51.8K

Given the beautiful looking interior I think VW could get away with charging a 1-2K premium for this Golf R compared to the WRX Limited or Ralliart Premium. If it is in the $40K+ range, my money would be going to a STi or EVO.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 11:56:23 am »
260 isn't THAT much power for something 3500 pounds.....

320hp and 320 tqs is just a chip away. Good thing is, the reflash is on the market already.

The unfortunate thing is that almost every response to the lack of power in a GTI or now this R is "just a chip away." This can be said for any vehicle. .

I don't think that's true at all.

By far the majpority of cars out there can't have the same HP and Torque bump from a simple reflash that the GTI does..simply becuase most cars aren't trunbos. Chips usually have a minor effect on NA engines. Turbo engines do becuase boost pressure can so eaily be manipulated by software.

I'm not defending VW's lower HP/$ figures just the idea that most or even lots of cars can get a large power boost with a reflash. I agree that given the weight AND the the AWD that 300 hp would be nice. The AWD eliminates the issues with putting big HP through the front wheels .

I have not had my 08 GTI reflashed but as soon as warranty is up its on the list. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 03:20:21 pm »
..the Majpority of Trunbos are equal to the love U give when into the Sunday Sauce........ :drool: :fall: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:...I'm witching teh Pheeladilphia harmonia vs CinquaCentro Bengays..............good game...... ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »
Another addition to the hatch-on-steriods segment is good, regardless of which you prefer.  Keeps the competitive juice flowing.  I'd have a very tough time picking between the VW and an STi.

VW pro:
Sweet interior, high resale, 4-motion is excellent AWD, lots of HP left to find, refined feel to the whole thing, six speed DIY shifter.
VW cons:
Lots of money for a Golf, a little down on power in stock form, terrible dealers.

STi pro:
I like the five-door "ripped" body, high resale, DCCD AWD is untouchable, also a lot of HP to be found, six speed DIY shifter.
STi cons:
Lots of money for an Impreza, dealers only slightly better than VW, spartan interior, a dull blade in terms of refinement

Jeez, no obvious winner.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 05:01:56 pm »
Another addition to the hatch-on-steriods segment is good, regardless of which you prefer.  Keeps the competitive juice flowing.  I'd have a very tough time picking between the VW and an STi.

VW pro:
Sweet interior, high resale, 4-motion is excellent AWD, lots of HP left to find, refined feel to the whole thing, six speed DIY shifter.
VW cons:
Lots of money for a Golf, a little down on power in stock form, terrible dealers.

STi pro:
I like the five-door "ripped" body, high resale, DCCD AWD is untouchable, also a lot of HP to be found, six speed DIY shifter.
STi cons:
Lots of money for an Impreza, dealers only slightly better than VW, spartan interior, a dull blade in terms of refinement

Jeez, no obvious winner.

IMO it just comes down to whether or not you can live with the relative harshness of the STi as a DD. If its not a DD then get the STi.

For me I don't think I'd like to do a GTA commute in the STi, but the Golf would be just dandy.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!