Author Topic: Ward's Top Ten Engines - Some surprises this year!  (Read 4725 times)

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Re: Ward's Top Ten Engines - Some surprises this year!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »
The VW TDI should've been replaced by BMW's diesel engine. It's a much better engine.

It should be, considering it's in cars that cost twice as much.

Yes, but these 'wards are based solely on engine performance.

Then why is the Cooper S engine there?  Compared to an N55, or the S4's mill, it's not exactly the bee's knees.

Whether they openly state it or not, performance-for-the-dollar must be some part of their analysis.

As mentioned:

Engines must be available in regular-production vehicles on sale in the U.S. market no later than the first quarter of the year. To be eligible, the engine also must be available in a vehicle with a base price of no more than $54,000 (for 2007 list). During a 2-month testing period, Ward's editors evaluate each engine according to a number of objective and subjective criteria in everyday driving situations – there is no instrumented testing. The selection takes into account power and torque output, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels, technical relevance, and basic comparative numbers. Each engine competes against all others.

And I agree with their assessment  :winner:

Have only seen a few 335d's on the road, but boy would love to try one of them.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 04:33:08 pm »
The VW TDI should've been replaced by BMW's diesel engine. It's a much better engine.

Yes and no. The VW TDI doesn't require urea injection, that's a major plus going for it.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »

Yes and no. The VW TDI doesn't require urea injection, that's a major plus going for it.

Well, its not a big deal  ;D

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 05:11:38 pm »
Gotta say that I am impressed to see that they put both the Volt and the Leaf on the list this year. Shows an open mindedness that is nice to see.

Nice to see the new Pentastar hitting the list. Chrysler did it's homework on this one.

I have no issues with anything on there.

Wait...why would they put the Leaf on there if it wasn't ground breaking in any way (as you were saying).   :stick:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 08:01:20 pm »
Interesting they didn't put the updated 2.0T (211/258) on there? I believe the older 200/207 version was on the list a few times running.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:54 pm »
Gotta say that I am impressed to see that they put both the Volt and the Leaf on the list this year. Shows an open mindedness that is nice to see.

Nice to see the new Pentastar hitting the list. Chrysler did it's homework on this one.

Wait...why would they put the Leaf on there if it wasn't ground breaking in any way (as you were saying).   :stick:

The "engine" is technologically interesting and seemingly well designed. I have no issue with that. Nor with the design of the car. No, I don't see it as groundbreaking, but I sure don't think it is a bad vehicle. Maybe I have been unclear about it, but my issue is with the lack of range and that there is no infrastructure to allow it's use as any other car can be used. 5-10 years from now, maybe. Today? Not so much.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 09:06:19 pm »

I liked your note on the forced induction. It has a lot to say about the future. Other than that I was playing thread nanny. Which has as much to contribute to the thread as "Funny how the list won't now be condemned as pointless and irrelevant, what with Ford, Chrysler and GM being represented."

Hey, come on...he had to count the numbers of Turbocharged or Supercharged and then divide 5 into 10!   :run:

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »

The "engine" is technologically interesting and seemingly well designed. I have no issue with that. Nor with the design of the car. No, I don't see it as groundbreaking, but I sure don't think it is a bad vehicle. Maybe I have been unclear about it, but my issue is with the lack of range and that there is no infrastructure to allow it's use as any other car can be used. 5-10 years from now, maybe. Today? Not so much.

Today, are there any other fully electric cars that have a better range than the Leaf? 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »

Today, are there any other fully electric cars that have a better range than the Leaf? 

Best I know of in something that is close to production is the Tesla. I think they quote just under 250 miles for that. Kind of a cool car actually. Works pretty well as a weekend toy. Really quick too, tho I doubt you get to enjoy the really quick part and the 250 mile range at the same time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »

Best I know of in something that is close to production is the Tesla. I think they quote just under 250 miles for that. Kind of a cool car actually. Works pretty well as a weekend toy. Really quick too, tho I doubt you get to enjoy the really quick part and the 250 mile range at the same time.

Tesla ia a great car, and the range is really good.  But you know why no one talks about it?  I've give you 109,000 guesses.....

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 09:53:03 pm »

Tesla ia a great car, and the range is really good.  But you know why no one talks about it?  I've give you 109,000 guesses.....

I really admire Tesla for what they are doing. Talk about carving out a brilliant little niche for themselves. Plenty of range for some nice drives in the country side. All the Lotus bits make it fun to drive. Cool way to move the technology forward. Any idea what their sales are like?

Mitlov

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »

The Tesla is too expensive to be considered for Ward's Top Ten Engines Powertrains.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »

It should be, considering it's in cars that cost twice as much.

Yes, but these 'wards are based solely on engine performance.

Then why is the Cooper S engine there?  Compared to an N55, or the S4's mill, it's not exactly the bee's knees.

Whether they openly state it or not, performance-for-the-dollar must be some part of their analysis.

As mentioned:

Engines must be available in regular-production vehicles on sale in the U.S. market no later than the first quarter of the year. To be eligible, the engine also must be available in a vehicle with a base price of no more than $54,000 (for 2007 list). During a 2-month testing period, Ward's editors evaluate each engine according to a number of objective and subjective criteria in everyday driving situations – there is no instrumented testing. The selection takes into account power and torque output, noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels, technical relevance, and basic comparative numbers. Each engine competes against all others.

And I agree with their assessment  :winner:

Have only seen a few 335d's on the road, but boy would love to try one of them.

265 HP & 425 lb-ft of torque @ 1,750 rpm  :drool:. They'd sell more if it was available with AWD.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »

A Tesla??  That's your debate??  Don't get me wrong, I love Tesla and think they make amazing vehicles but I hardly think they are a competitor of the Leaf........which is what we are chatting about.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »

A Tesla??  That's your debate??  Don't get me wrong, I love Tesla and think they make amazing vehicles but I hardly think they are a competitor of the Leaf........which is what we are chatting about.   

That's why the Leaf is so neat.  It makes having a pure EV affordable to the masses.  Not so with the cool Tesla.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:38 pm »

Sorry. Didn't realize we were debating anything. You asked a question, and I answered it. I am not suggesting they are a competitor to the Leaf. They are an electric vehicle with a much bigger range. I am not comparing the Leaf to electric vehicles. I am just comparing it to other cars. Any other car you choose to bring, actually.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 11:11:04 pm »

That's why the Leaf is so neat.  It makes having a pure EV affordable to the masses.  Not so with the cool Tesla.

Agreed.  And the masses that can deal with the range might end up buying it too.   ;D

I'm working on transcribing the latest AutoLine AfterHours on their Leaf experiences.  Very interesting!  I will post it in the Leaf thread.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 12:07:59 am »

Can't argue any of that. No one really did this before Nissan on a production basis. Not taking anything away from Nissan on a technology perspective at all.

garymorrison23

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 01:52:23 am »
Seems like a good list. Thanks for it.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:15 am »
Quote from: 2hondas1BMW
Have only seen a few 335d's on the road, but boy would love to try one of them.[/color

265 HP & 425 lb-ft of torque @ 1,750 rpm  :drool:. They'd sell more if it was available with AWD.
[/quote]

Agreed, no AWD and no manual ruled it out for me, otherwise it drove great. Actually preferred it to both the 328xi and 335xi.