Author Topic: Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models  (Read 21694 times)

Just the Facts

Re: Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2010, 01:31:13 am »
Back to (according to some posters GM hating).....the subject, GM Cruze.

All Motor Trend Quotes;

Pros
"The Chevy Cruze is nicely styled inside and out. Interior colors and tirm at top notch for this class of car".

"The Cruze has a very European feel to the chassis with a taut ride and firm steering"

Cons
"The 1.4 liter turbo engine is only adequate, not impressive in any way, and the six speed automatic was clunky and slow to respond at times"

"Engine doesn't feel like it's turbocharged, I had to pop the hood to double check"

"as tested price (LTZ) of $26,310 (U.S. dollars). this almost negated all of the Cruze's positive points gleaned from our driving impressions."

"Most of us thought this vehicle came under $20 grand, and while it does start at $16,995, the price when optioned takes away much of the luster"

Once again, this car, although an improvement over the Cobalt, it is still not good enough to compete with established Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota, and the new players from Hyundai and Kia.  Just the facts, no hating.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:51 am »
Yep, the Cruze gets expensive, and fast!

That said, I've seen a few on the roads and had to do double-takes each time. It really is a very nice looking vehicle with tons of presense. I'm the first to be surprised at myself for saying this, but it is what it is. Really nice looking vehicle. Then again, for basically a compact car with a sticker price likely over $25k, it better be nice! And it is, so good for it.

Cons
"Engine doesn't feel like it's turbocharged, I had to pop the hood to double check"

Not feeling like a turbo isn't that big of a con, actually. I think it's more of a pro. People don't want to feel turbo boost or more importantly, turbo lag, in this type of vehicle. It's supposed to be a no-nonsense and comfortable A-B vehicle, not a pocket rocket!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2010, 07:59:10 am »
Unfortunately people are focusing on the "a" word instead of the underlying frustration that elicited the comment. Don't like a car or car maker? Sure, say your peace and move on. Love your particular brand? Sure, post positive stuff and sing from the roof tops but don't go to every other thread and crap it up.

Seems an over-the-top response to someone suggesting that a green blob on the gear shift to show drivers (all day, every day) that 6th is the most "green" gear is kinda dorky.  Not much of a critcism at all really.  Yet look at the scorched-earth response by the GM defenders. Remarkable, really.  You'd think the Cruze was bashed as being an unbelievable POS - but that simply wasn't the case.

Also, have you noticed that nobody suggests that a poster should "say his peace and move on" when it is a domestic fan criticizing an import offering.  How many pages now has Erik been bleating about the "range anxiety" and overall marginal utility of the Nissan Leaf in a thread dedicated to that car?  Have you encouraged him to say his piece and move one?  No?  Didn't think so.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Leviathan

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2010, 02:23:11 pm »
Seems an over-the-top response to someone suggesting that a green blob on the gear shift to show drivers (all day, every day) that 6th is the most "green" gear is kinda dorky.  Not much of a critcism at all really.  Yet look at the scorched-earth response by the GM defenders. Remarkable, really.  You'd think the Cruze was bashed as being an unbelievable POS - but that simply wasn't the case.
Again, focusing too narrowly. Since we're on Shnak and the green dot, he has posted that he would like to see GM die and is in pretty much every GM thread with both feet. Ok, he doesn't like what GM puts out and will never darken a dealership's door. We get it. I mean, show some restraint and that is essentially what Sir O was asking and yet you labelled him a "Slappie".

Also, have you noticed that nobody suggests that a poster should "say his peace and move on" when it is a domestic fan criticizing an import offering.  How many pages now has Erik been bleating about the "range anxiety" and overall marginal utility of the Nissan Leaf in a thread dedicated to that car?  Have you encouraged him to say his piece and move one?  No?  Didn't think so.
Did I encourage you to say your peace and move on any of the Regal threads?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:26:28 pm by Leviathan »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:13 pm »
Again, focusing too narrowly. Since we're on Shnak and the green dot, he has posted that he would like to see GM die and is in pretty much every GM thread with both feet. Ok, he doesn't like what GM puts out and will never darken a dealership's door. We get it. I mean, show some restraint and that is essentially what Sir O was asking and yet you labelled him a "Slappie".

Did I encourage you to say your peace and move on any of the Regal threads?

That's twice now you've claimed I singled out Sir O in some way.  That didn't happen.  I haven't exactly been hanging on Sir O's posts since the Buick trhead, as I pretty much can guess the content without ever having to read them.

Here's an idea - if you don't like Shnak's posts.... don't read them.  It will save you the high blood pressure and save us the profane temper tantrums.  Just a suggestion.

Jaeger

MMMMB

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 05:30:38 pm »
Once again, this car, although an improvement over the Cobalt, it is still not good enough to compete with established Ford, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota, and the new players from Hyundai and Kia.  Just the facts, no hating.

A loaded LTZ trim specs out similarly to an EX-L Civic.  Given the 10 standard air bags, engine technology, etc. I think it competes quite well.  I'm sure they'll continue updating the car to stay relevant as well. If the 2.0 LNF can crank out 130 hp/L I'm sure they can massage a few more out of that 1-4.