Author Topic: Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models  (Read 21714 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 08:27:22 am »
I've sometimes used products that are known to cause cancer in California.....luckily I'm not in California!  ;)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 09:22:16 am »
You really think it's necessary for GM to highlight the 6th speed to indicate it's the most fuel efficient gear? really? That has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time.

No seriously, just stop. It's idiotic. It's a tiny little dot on a shifter. I had a Ranger that had "OD" in stead of "5".

Was OD highlighted with a bright green circle?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:05 am »
 Hyundai or Gm, who cares how they are now. How much will these cars cost to run after 5 years? That will be the real truth.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 10:31:22 am »
You really think it's necessary for GM to highlight the 6th speed to indicate it's the most fuel efficient gear? really? That has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time.

No seriously, just stop. It's idiotic. It's a tiny little dot on a shifter. I had a Ranger that had "OD" in stead of "5".

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 10:34:14 am »
Well, D is for drive and the 6th gear (R) is for "Real fast"  :rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:02 am »
I always thought it was "Race"

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:31 am »

What's so special about that? That's pretty much the universal logo for the overdrive gear. That doesn't justify having a bright green circle to remind drivers that the 6th gear is the most efficient. That's frankly an insult to drivers' intelligence.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 11:29:50 am »
I would say that an indicator on a shift lever is far more necessary in a society that needs directions for chewing gum.

Good point!
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 11:53:21 am »

What's so special about that? That's pretty much the universal logo for the overdrive gear. That doesn't justify having a bright green circle to remind drivers that the 6th gear is the most efficient. That's frankly an insult to drivers' intelligence.

I always wondered what would happen when the domestics started to produce competitive cars...now I know.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:12 pm »
I've sometimes used products that are known to cause cancer in California.....luckily I'm not in California!  ;)
................Magic............ :rofl2:  UNLEV ened bread woz amongst the banned substances............wotstha Co2 expunged by a BIG FATTIE...!!!!!!! :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:11:14 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »

Do you get pissed off when you see "New and Improved" on a product in a grocery store? It is MARKETING. Everyone does it.

If I am gonna be accused of doing it, I may as well  :D :

Does this :censor: you off cause you actually don't really need a "flying license"?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »

Does this :censor: you off cause you actually don't really need a "flying license"?

That's an insult to the intelligence of any F-18 rider!

I heard at an airshow years and years ago that the Canadian Forces were the only ones that had the canopy painted on the bottom.  Found this Spanish F18 photo...looks like they've done the same thing.  Good idea.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 02:10:50 pm »
Lame marketing stunts in the print and other media is one thing.  Lame marketing stunts on vehicle control systems is another.  And for the record, I don't think GM's customer are anywhere near as stupid as GM thinks they are (with one or two notable exceptions).  Thankfully, someone talked them out of the LEFT and RIGHT directional arrows on the steering wheel.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Just the Facts

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »
Lame marketing stunts in the print and other media is one thing.  Lame marketing stunts on vehicle control systems is another.  And for the record, I don't think GM's customer are anywhere near as stupid as GM thinks they are (with one or two notable exceptions).  Thankfully, someone talked them out of the LEFT and RIGHT directional arrows on the steering wheel.

Jaeger

Question;
Whom are the notable exeptions mentioned above?

Answer
a)Erik
b)CatsEye69
c)diceman
d)all of the above

CatsEye68

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 05:27:14 pm »
Do you get pissed off when you see "New and Improved" on a product in a grocery store? It is MARKETING. Everyone does it.

Wow, there's a real game-changer, huh? ;)

I used to know a girl named Verna. But unlike this one, she was "fast". LOL

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

Jaeger

Any evidence at all that GM thinks anyone is stupid? What about the "leaves" that show up on the gauge cluster of the Insight, CR-Z and Fusion Hybrids? What about the shift lights that a number of cars still use? Does Honda think their clients are too stupid to know when to shift?

How about writing "4ws" on the outside of the car? Or "TURBO"? Did Mazda and Mercedes think the people who bought them needed the reminder as they approached their car?

I would say having stuff like this on the outside in big taped or chrome letters is a bigger affront than a tiny little green circle on the interior. Then again, I don't have any issues with GM, as opposed to our resident knee-jerk reactionaries. Pavlov would be impressed with your conditioning.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 06:21:47 pm »

Any evidence at all that GM thinks anyone is stupid? What about the "leaves" that show up on the gauge cluster of the Insight, CR-Z and Fusion Hybrids? What about the shift lights that a number of cars still use? Does Honda think their clients are too stupid to know when to shift?

Well, that's just different don'cha know!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 06:27:44 pm »
As likely most Americans have never driven a stick, is it really that stoopid? Do we even really need numbers on the knob anymore?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 06:37:43 pm »
As likely most Americans have never driven a stick, is it really that stoopid? Do we even really need numbers on the knob anymore?

What about pushing down and over for reverse? Different makes put reverse in various spots. We still may need the pattern until we become acquainted with it. ;)

diceman

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 07:43:40 pm »
I Just can't see the Volt as being much as far as sales go.Too expensive for the mileage you will really get real world.
Ya, buyers are really going to be sick of not burning gas.
LMAO, that's funny ;D