Author Topic: Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models  (Read 21726 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:06:37 am »

At the recent L.A. Auto Show, Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh got a sneak peek at GM's new fuel-efficient models: a concept Cadillac, Chevrolet Cruze Eco and Volt, and a Buick LaCrosse with electric assist that will be standard on four-cylinder models.

Read More...

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: GM's new fuel-efficient models
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:00:19 am »
Cruze looks like an interesting option.  Will advise my inlaw empty nesters to take a look at it since they tend to buy GM products.

Looking forward to the consumer reports real world fuel economy numbers. The champ so far, I believe, for gas only cars is the Fiesta.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:05:43 am »
Someone, please save the asterisks!!!  ;D

And really, GM? How stupid do you think your buyers are?

A green spot marks the Cruze Eco’s most economical gear.

vgtech

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »
 "Saving money costs slightly more: at $19,495, the manual-equipped Eco is the same price as the automatic-equipped LT."

I'd say that saving money COSTS ALOT MORE with the Cruze. >:(

The ECO costs close to $5000.00 more than a base 1.8L equipped Cruze. Shamefully, the base 6-speed auto Cruze gets 50mpg hwy and 31 mpg city compared to the 2010 4-speed Corolla's 50 mpg hwy and 37 mpg city. That's two more gears and they still can't beat Corolla. The base 2011 Elantra gets 58 mpg hwy and 42 city with a 6-speed auto. Something tells me it won't cost as much as the ECO Cruze.  >:(

CatsEye68

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »
The ECO costs close to $5000.00 more than a base 1.8L equipped Cruze. Shamefully, the base 6-speed auto Cruze gets 50mpg hwy and 31 mpg city compared to the 2010 4-speed Corolla's 50 mpg hwy and 37 mpg city. That's two more gears and they still can't beat Corolla.

Yeah, but then you'd be driving a Corolla. Nowhere near as nice a car as the Chevy.

The base 2011 Elantra gets 58 mpg hwy and 42 city with a 6-speed auto. Something tells me it won't cost as much as the ECO Cruze.  >:(

See above.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:16:29 pm »
I lke that GM is calling the Lacorsse 'Electric Assist'.  The unit used in it (previously from the Malibu) was never that much of hybrid and people always ragged on it for that reason.  Ths very mild hybrid is not a bad idea to increase a bit of fuel economy

markrover

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:10:21 pm »
The ECO costs close to $5000.00 more than a base 1.8L equipped Cruze. Shamefully, the base 6-speed auto Cruze gets 50mpg hwy and 31 mpg city compared to the 2010 4-speed Corolla's 50 mpg hwy and 37 mpg city. That's two more gears and they still can't beat Corolla.

Yeah, but then you'd be driving a Corolla. Nowhere near as nice a car as the Chevy.

So a crappy GM car is nicer to drive than a Toyota? Good one. :rofl2:

----------

The Volt is hideous - it looks like a modern-day Aztek over which a huge anvil fell over and squashed the roof. The interior, especially the centre stack white 1st gen iMac look is about as dreadful as anything on the market. All this horrible stuff for the price of a BMW 3-series. Which car would you drive? We know that at least one person would prefer the GM Volt (see above).

Dee

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45:04 pm »
I wouldn't touch a GM car even with a ten foot pole. Crappy lemons. "Save" now, pay later.

CatsEye68

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 08:08:44 pm »
I see the "guest" anti-GM trolls got let out of jail for the weekend. Either that, or the cheques from Hyundai finally cleared the Bank of Korea and the company-sponsored secret internet subterfuge campaign is on again..

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »
"low-rolling-resistance tires".....should read "poor performing hard as hockey pucks POS"
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

diceman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 08:43:52 am »
I see the "guest" anti-GM trolls got let out of jail for the weekend. Either that, or the cheques from Hyundai finally cleared the Bank of Korea and the company-sponsored secret internet subterfuge campaign is on again..

lol, yeah and suckin on cheap booze with their boyfriends :rofl2:

Just the Facts

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »

There's the two posters CatsEye68 and diceman so far.... :rofl2:

But seriously, the Cruze and Lacrosse are an improvement (over the past) but still not good enough.  And the Volt is too heavy, expensive, disappointing EPA (and exagerated) 60 MPG. 

CatsEye68

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:32:34 pm »
But seriously, the Cruze and Lacrosse are an improvement (over the past) but still not good enough.  And the Volt is too heavy, expensive, disappointing EPA (and exagerated) 60 MPG. 

Please stop filling the forums with your lies and distortions.

Whatever Hyundai is paying you, it is too much. Most of their message board agents are far more subtle.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 06:13:33 pm »

I don't care either way; what brand, what model. Whats important to me is that the car I bought new in 1999 costs me as little as possible over its 15+ years I plan to own it. So far it has.

But since we are on the topic of GM, what has changed there? We all know it takes 4 years to come out with a new design. So if they were in trouble 2 years ago, what did they have up their sleeve so that today's car is just so much better than anything else. Or was it just a very good sales pitch, as DeLorean once said about GM management, "make them believe they are buying a quality product".

Damn curious.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »

There's no nit too small to pick for you is there? ::)
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline spicaphone

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »
I Just can't see the Volt as being much as far as sales go.Too expensive for the mileage you will really get real world.People who care about mileage will get a Corolla or if they want better handling a Golf or Jetta Turbo diesel IMO.The comments about the center stack controls were also right on simply dismal..

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 06:53:25 pm »

I don't care either way; what brand, what model. Whats important to me is that the car I bought new in 1999 costs me as little as possible over its 15+ years I plan to own it. So far it has.

But since we are on the topic of GM, what has changed there? We all know it takes 4 years to come out with a new design. So if they were in trouble 2 years ago, what did they have up their sleeve so that today's car is just so much better than anything else. Or was it just a very good sales pitch, as DeLorean once said about GM management, "make them believe they are buying a quality product".

Damn curious.

Across GM brands (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC), 69 percent of models had average or better reliability. Cadillac improved the most, rising seven places from last year's ranking. Chevrolet had its best showing in years; 83 percent of models had average or better scores in predicted reliability, up from 50 percent.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/cr-recommended/best-worst-in-car-reliability-1005/reliability-findings/reliability-findings.htm

Companies do turn around, especially after a near death experience.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 07:07:12 pm »

You really think it's necessary for GM to highlight the 6th speed to indicate it's the most fuel efficient gear? really? That has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 07:08:14 pm »

Damn curious.

Across GM brands (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC), 69 percent of models had average or better reliability. Cadillac improved the most, rising seven places from last year's ranking. Chevrolet had its best showing in years; 83 percent of models had average or better scores in predicted reliability, up from 50 percent.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/cr-recommended/best-worst-in-car-reliability-1005/reliability-findings/reliability-findings.htm

Companies do turn around, especially after a near death experience.

You do have a point. The better question might be how long will it take public perception to catch up with that new reality. Hyundai was building pretty decent cars for quite awhile before most people finally stopped thinking "Pony' or "Excel".

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »

You really think it's necessary for GM to highlight the 6th speed to indicate it's the most fuel efficient gear? really? That has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time.

Not as stupid as the inevitable Eco buyer who will try and use "green" around town to save fuel and then complain of stalling/poor performance  :rofl: