Author Topic: 2011 Infiniti M37S; Day 1  (Read 26406 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: 2011 Infiniti M37S; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2010, 09:21:04 pm »
Don't think I've put it in this thread so here goes - Sounds like the Ford Taurus SHO would be a good compromise - AWD, superior power, a pretty nice interior in its own right and for thousands less than either the Infinity or BMW.

In the near-luxury/luxury segment prestige is typically the most significant factor; if you can afford a near$60k+ car on top of all of your other bills, MOST people tend to want to themselves and/or others that they have 'made it'.  Ford just doesn't fit that bill, SHO or not.  I have always been surprised at the SHO pricing as it is in their Lincoln branding territory.  It's kinda like the Maxima and the G37; now who wouldn't be surprised if the Maxima is discontinued shortly?  At least with the Taurus, there are other sub-models in its lineup rather than a dedicated SHO.

I hear ya though; prestige aside the SHO comes in at a good price compared to others in the same price range.  Heck I even think it out "Hyundai's" the Hyundai Equus.

I have no doubt the SHO is a very good car, even for $50k. I am skeptical, however, as to how it and the Hyundai Equus will fare in the North American luxury car marketplace, given the lack of brand cachet Ford and Hyundai have--the past sales failure of the Volkswagen Phaeton comes to mind.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:27 am »
Don't think I've put it in this thread so here goes - Sounds like the Ford Taurus SHO would be a good compromise - AWD, superior power, a pretty nice interior in its own right and for thousands less than either the Infinity or BMW.

In the near-luxury/luxury segment prestige is typically the most significant factor; if you can afford a near$60k+ car on top of all of your other bills, MOST people tend to want to themselves and/or others that they have 'made it'.  Ford just doesn't fit that bill, SHO or not.  I have always been surprised at the SHO pricing as it is in their Lincoln branding territory.  It's kinda like the Maxima and the G37; now who wouldn't be surprised if the Maxima is discontinued shortly?  At least with the Taurus, there are other sub-models in its lineup rather than a dedicated SHO.

I hear ya though; prestige aside the SHO comes in at a good price compared to others in the same price range.  Heck I even think it out "Hyundai's" the Hyundai Equus.

I have no doubt the SHO is a very good car, even for $50k. I am skeptical, however, as to how it and the Hyundai Equus will fare in the North American luxury car marketplace, given the lack of brand cachet Ford and Hyundai have--the past sales failure of the Volkswagen Phaeton comes to mind.

The Phaeton was basically $100k, the Equus is around $60 or $70k, and SHO what, $50-$55k? And Hyundai is certainly putting very small sale targets on the Equus, because they're not dumb. They know full well their place in the market and know they were pushing it with the Genesis, and even moreso with the Equus. They'll be happy with just making a statement and win a few comparos. In 10-15 years, we'll look back at the Equus as a stepping stone for the introduction of a premium Hyundai brand.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2010, 08:52:48 am »
The Phaeton was basically $100k, the Equus is around $60 or $70k, and SHO what, $50-$55k? And Hyundai is certainly putting very small sale targets on the Equus, because they're not dumb. They know full well their place in the market and know they were pushing it with the Genesis, and even moreso with the Equus. They'll be happy with just making a statement and win a few comparos. In 10-15 years, we'll look back at the Equus as a stepping stone for the introduction of a premium Hyundai brand.

Fair point, the Phaeton did have a much higher price point. Actually i didn't realize they *started* at $100k--that is indeed ridiculous, regardless of how good that car was. Perhaps more relevant to the comparison would be the VW Passat W8, a car that received the same lukewarm response in the marketplace as the Phaeton as it, too, was deemed too expensive "for a Volkswagen," even though it was a very good car.

So for me it begs the question: If Hyundai wants to be how Lexus/Acura/Infiniti started 20 years ago, why didn't they launch a separate nameplate for the Equus/Genesis, as did the aforementioned brands? It seems when brands launch a premium model without a premium nameplate (e.g. VW and Mazda with their old 929), the results are not great.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:13 am »
So for me it begs the question: If Hyundai wants to be how Lexus/Acura/Infiniti started 20 years ago, why didn't they launch a separate nameplate for the Equus/Genesis, as did the aforementioned brands? It seems when brands launch a premium model without a premium nameplate (e.g. VW and Mazda with their old 929), the results are not great.

They probably didn't feel they had the market acceptance for a premium brand just yet. And I think they're probably right.

I don't really have a problem with them introducing the Genesis and Equus as Hyundai's... after a generation or two of proving doubters wrong with these models, and showing just how much you get for your dollar with these Hyundais, coming out with a new premium brand might be better accepted by the marketplace.

And it's not like working on the Genesis and Equus is for nothing, the technology used in those vehicles trickle-down to other vehicles... engines, transmissions, etc, etc.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2010, 10:51:15 am »

They probably didn't feel they had the market acceptance for a premium brand just yet. And I think they're probably right.

I don't really have a problem with them introducing the Genesis and Equus as Hyundai's... after a generation or two of proving doubters wrong with these models, and showing just how much you get for your dollar with these Hyundais, coming out with a new premium brand might be better accepted by the marketplace.

And it's not like working on the Genesis and Equus is for nothing, the technology used in those vehicles trickle-down to other vehicles... engines, transmissions, etc, etc.

I certainly don't have a problem with the Genesis and Equus launching as Hyundais; I am only questioning Hyundai's wisdom in doing so. Acura/Lexus/Infiniti did quite well by introducing their luxury cars under new brands, while VW and Mazda, who didn't introduce new brands (or at least didn't use the Audi badge, in VW's case), fared poorly. If the Equus and Genesis sell as well as they deserve to (given the cars' positive reviews), I will be proven wrong.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 11:17:56 am »
I think at the time Honda, Toyota and Nissan each introduced their premium brands, their overall reputation for building quality cars was quite a bit higher than Hyundai's at the moment... For the most part, Hyundai is still being laughed at for being an inexpensive, value-first brand, especially in the states. Granted, mostly by ignorant people, but nonetheless, public perception is what it is. If they came out with a premium brand right now, I don't think it'd be regarded that well. By starting slowly and introducing premium cars under the Hyundai nameplate, they're playing it safe and limiting the risks. When the public starts realizing how great these premium Hyundai vehicles are, then it'll be time to introduce a proper premium brand.

Roy

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2010, 11:40:29 am »
There is definately a strategy behind the Equus; the Genesis I think less so as it still has viable market share competitors.  My guess is that they are trying to push the envelope with Hyundai perception in their capability to produce a vehile at this caliber so that when a prestige name is applied the platform underpinnings are already there - basically they are marketing and selling their R&D production.  Or corporate is just having some fun.  Or a little of both - just my guess though. 

Either way even from the value/bang-for-the-buck prespective, the Equus fails to impress on paper giving its price.  The SHO looks like a much better proposition even it they were the same price, literally too to my eye inside and out.  I wonder if GM will send a Buick in this direction as well?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2010, 11:50:00 am »
I think at the time Honda, Toyota and Nissan each introduced their premium brands, their overall reputation for building quality cars was quite a bit higher than Hyundai's at the moment... For the most part, Hyundai is still being laughed at for being an inexpensive, value-first brand, especially in the states. Granted, mostly by ignorant people, but nonetheless, public perception is what it is. If they came out with a premium brand right now, I don't think it'd be regarded that well. By starting slowly and introducing premium cars under the Hyundai nameplate, they're playing it safe and limiting the risks. When the public starts realizing how great these premium Hyundai vehicles are, then it'll be time to introduce a proper premium brand.

That does make sense. I guess Hyundai is not yet at the point, reputation-wise, that Toyota/honda/Nissan were in the late 80's when they launched their luxury brands.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2010, 11:50:10 am »
There is definately a strategy behind the Equus; the Genesis I think less so as it still has viable market share competitors.  My guess is that they are trying to push the envelope with Hyundai perception in their capability to produce a vehile at this caliber so that when a prestige name is applied the platform underpinnings are already there - basically they are marketing and selling their R&D production.  Or corporate is just having some fun.  Or a little of both - just my guess though. 

Either way even from the value/bang-for-the-buck prespective, the Equus fails to impress on paper giving its price.  The SHO looks like a much better proposition even it they were the same price, literally too to my eye inside and out.  I wonder if GM will send a Buick in this direction as well?

That's not what I got by reading a few pieces on the Equus. And besides, isn't it much larger than the SHO? And the SHO is much more oriented towards high-performance (despite its heavyness) while the Equus is all luxury. Not exactly straight up competitors!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »
I seem to recall them talking about the Equus on a car show and there was talk of Hyundai launching a premium brand in the near future (ie. 1-2 years).
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2010, 01:46:37 pm »
I seem to recall them talking about the Equus on a car show and there was talk of Hyundai launching a premium brand in the near future (ie. 1-2 years).

They have to do some work to get there - even their high-end offerings carry over too much from the basic vehicles. It's not that the basic models aren't well constructed, but it just ruins the premium experience when your $55K luxo-sedan shares the same gauge pod (etc.) with a $20K hatchback.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »

They have to do some work to get there - even their high-end offerings carry over too much from the basic vehicles. It's not that the basic models aren't well constructed, but it just ruins the premium experience when your $55K luxo-sedan shares the same gauge pod (etc.) with a $20K hatchback.

See, I prefer to see it the other way around... the $20k hatchback gets parts from the $55k luxo-sedan!  ;)

But seriously, I'm not sure which parts your specifically talking about here...

Roy

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »

That's not what I got by reading a few pieces on the Equus. And besides, isn't it much larger than the SHO? And the SHO is much more oriented towards high-performance (despite its heavyness) while the Equus is all luxury. Not exactly straight up competitors!

Exterior dimensions are very close; within an inch or two.  I think they are very much competitors; both non luxury brands playing in the luxury pricing territory.  I think right now that is a market of 2?  In my own subjective opinion I do think that the SHO looks more luxurious than the Equus, although I haven't sat in or driven the latter.  At the local auto show last year I recall sitting in the SHO and then the MKS with a buddy and oddly enough we both thought the SHO felt more luxurious than the MKS.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2010, 04:11:28 pm »
Comparing SHO and Equus are NOT competitors and are NOTHING alike.

The Equus is a BMW 7-series / Audi A8 competitor and not sporty in the least.

The SHO is a sporty large sedan, just because the price is high doesn't make it a luxury car, it does not compete in that arena it competes with say an SRT8 or Charger etc.

Roy

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2010, 04:38:08 pm »
Hmm point taken.  I bet though that the SHO and Equus will be cross shopped precisely b/c of the price and their name brand pedigree.  At least more so than a potential Audi/BMW/MB buyer would even consider a Hyundai.  The decision to buy one would then be based on the buyers preference for luxury or sport(ier), nicely upholstered.

Just b/c hyundai is aiming for the luxury arena, don't mean it will turn out that way.  I am thinking product design for Element vis-a-vis actual buyers.

It would be interesting to know what Equus buyers also looked at: if you are right and most where cross shopping the A8/7/S-Class, Hyundai hit a home run regardless of sales.  In my opinion buyer perception for this segment is everything.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »
Hyundai expects to sell 100 Equus in Canada and only a handful of dealers will carry them.  They will not be on the lot in the showroom like a typical vehicle.  You will have to call Hyundai and have them come show you the car, it won't be crossshopped it's a very niche offering.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2010, 07:25:17 am »
Hyundai expects to sell 100 Equus in Canada and only a handful of dealers will carry them.  They will not be on the lot in the showroom like a typical vehicle.  You will have to call Hyundai and have them come show you the car, it won't be crossshopped it's a very niche offering.

And even 100 Equus will be a tough sell, no? I mean, the Lexus sells something like 250 LS per year in Canada... If the Equus achieves 100 a year right from the start, that's pretty good I think.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2010, 08:17:58 am »
And they really expect to sell to the same demographic as high-end MB and BMW owners?! Do they give  away a miad and and a gardner with each one...and free pickup and delivery on your dry cleaning?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2010, 08:21:23 am »
And they really expect to sell to the same demographic as high-end MB and BMW owners?! Do they give  away a miad and and a gardner with each one...and free pickup and delivery on your dry cleaning?
Railton

I don't know how many wealthy people you know - but of the few I know there's a good percentage that are major penny pinchers.

A well known luxury brand the Hyundai Equus is not - a hell of a deal the Equus is - my guess is that Hyundai hopes there's at least 100 of those folks out there.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2010, 09:08:10 am »
They won't do your laundry, but they will pick up and return the car for service, you just call them.  You never have to set foot in a dealership which is nice.