Author Topic: Fun cars with cheap insurance?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
Fun cars with cheap insurance?
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:43 pm »
It's almost time to retire the old Mazda P5, and I want to buy a fun car but it seems that everything with some b@lls has a ridiculous insurance rate, most likely because stoned teenagers keep smashing them into trees. If this is an enthusiast forum, I'm sure there are plenty of you out there with fun cars that have found a way around paying an arm and a leg to the Man for insurance. Some of the cars I've looked at are:

- older BMW 325ci or 330ci
- 350Z
- G35 Coupe
- WRX
- GTI
- Mini Cooper S

Most of these carry with them a massive insurance policy - am I stuck with it or is there hope of a balance of affordability and fun?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Fun cars with cheap insurance?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »
It depends what qualifies as "cheap" insurance.

I was only paying ~$800 yr. for my Supra....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:09:15 pm »
Well if you enjoy gambling, you can always try not buying insurance. Heck lots of folks do it and there is even a fund to protect us from them! :rofl2:

But where you live is also a big factor - city versus rural  etc, but rule of thumb says if you want to keep the rates low avoid two door cars, V-8's and standards. Some cars are better than others in terms of rates and I suspect you are really going to enjoy working with your agent as you find that out. And don't forget that how you drive is another factor. Good luck and maybe you will report back as to what worked best for you.

vdk

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:38:46 pm »
I doubt a manual transmission will have any impact on insurance.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:01:47 pm »
How about an S2000?

The insurance on my G35 is $783 per year and my S2000 is $824 per year if I have full coverage all year around....which I don't. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »
Live in BC, Man or Sask?  That would help.

or get older

If you put your province and age in your profile we could be more help.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:11:04 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:00:22 pm »
Most of these carry with them a massive insurance policy rate.

What do you call "massive"?

Full coverage to the hilt on my Porsche Carrera runs me just over $700. I guess you can call that massive if you are used to paying $500.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »
It's all aged related in Ontario.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:52 pm »
Like you read above, more info is needed as insurance has more variables and they are working day and night to create even more.

I pay around $1600 for a GTi in Toronto and have a friend that pays $1500 for a Vibe in London. I think theirs is massive.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:10:48 pm »

^ Wow, insurance is obviously much higher in the GTA area than here in NB!   :o

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:46:19 pm »

Reason #546 why Toronto sucks!  ;D

My Vibe was ~$900 a year IIRC.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:50 am »

^ Wow, insurance is obviously much higher in the GTA area than here in NB!   :o

You think that's bad?

How about paying $2,400/year for an Acura TSX (automatic) in Vancouver.  Oh, and this is with full discount.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:05 am »

^ Wow, insurance is obviously much higher in the GTA area than here in NB!   :o

You think that's bad?

How about paying $2,400/year for an Acura TSX (automatic) in Vancouver.  Oh, and this is with full discount.

Probably the premium for the break-ins and thefts from junkies.... :rofl2:

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 02:03:01 am »
My insurance rates were cut in half when I had a baby and got married.  Maybe you should do that and then just get the car you really want.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 02:16:38 am »
My insurance rates were cut in half when I had a baby and got married.  Maybe you should do that and then just get the car you really want.

Hmmm...not sure if that's worth cheaper insurance.... ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:29:29 am by rrocket »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:24:53 am »

Must be ....we're paying about $1200 for the SRX and Cooper S combined
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 08:53:20 am »
I'm paying about $1,300/year for the Protege5, I'm over 25 and married, I thought that was supposed to count for something! I have shopped around with different providers but most are in the same ballpark. I realize this isn't a lot compared to what some of you are sharing, but when I got quotes for cars like the Mini Cooper or the GTI I was looking at over $2200, so $900/year is a tough pill to swallow at this point for an extra couple of HP. I think the 350Z was like $3K!

I think the trick is to find cars that have the appearance of being boring but actually have a rewarding driving experience - maybe like a Ford Fusion Sport or something. I know the cars that were most affordable on my policy were the Chevy Impala and the Buick LeSabre, which seems to back up my theory of cheap = boring. Maybe even something like a Nissan Maxima or Volvo S40 T5, those have an outward appearance of being more restrained but potentially contain a little zing.

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 09:48:13 am »
I'm paying about $1,300/year for the Protege5, I'm over 25 and married, I thought that was supposed to count for something! I have shopped around with different providers but most are in the same ballpark. I realize this isn't a lot compared to what some of you are sharing, but when I got quotes for cars like the Mini Cooper or the GTI I was looking at over $2200, so $900/year is a tough pill to swallow at this point for an extra couple of HP. I think the 350Z was like $3K!

I think the trick is to find cars that have the appearance of being boring but actually have a rewarding driving experience - maybe like a Ford Fusion Sport or something. I know the cars that were most affordable on my policy were the Chevy Impala and the Buick LeSabre, which seems to back up my theory of cheap = boring. Maybe even something like a Nissan Maxima or Volvo S40 T5, those have an outward appearance of being more restrained but potentially contain a little zing.

The Volvo's actually an intriguing idea.  Can't imagine insurance is bad for those, and although it's gotten very lukewarm reviews, I really enjoyed driving an S40 T5.  And from what I hear, the C30 T5 is even better to drive if you don't need four doors.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 11:16:46 am »

The Volvo's actually an intriguing idea.  Can't imagine insurance is bad for those, and although it's gotten very lukewarm reviews, I really enjoyed driving an S40 T5.  And from what I hear, the C30 T5 is even better to drive if you don't need four doors.

Another angle that will work for lower insurance, if you are looking at used, is the Jetta 2.0T. Get an APR chip and some pure summer performance tires. Some mild suspension work would be good too, however not absolutely necessary. The luxury package includes "sports" suspension and the better looking 17" wheels. Its very close to a GTi in performance.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 11:30:58 am »
However.  If you chip the VW engine and tell your insurance Co your insurance will go through the roof. they might even refuse cover.  If you do not tell them and they find out then there is a possibility you'll find yourself with no insurance and placed on the Facility which is REALLY expensive... not a high chance but a chance nonetheless.

Ontario needs an Insurance Co with a sense of humour...unlikely I think.