Author Topic: Client Information and Dealerships  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
Re: Client Information and Dealerships
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 08:04:12 am »
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' - Ronald Reagan, 40th president of the U.S. (1911 - 2004)

I have purchased six cars in the last few years for family and friends, two new and the rest used. They entailed numerous dealer visits, test drives and taking the used ones for independent pre-purchase inspections. Only three salesmen asked for my driver's license. All were dissuaded.

There are too many dealers who want my business to make it an issue. If a dealer became obstreperous I would not hesitate to file formal complaints with all appropriate government agencies. It costs me nothing. It's like a 50-gallon enema for him. The pain never stops! Sane businessmen avoid civil servants.

I phone ahead and make an appointment, dress suitably and conduct myself in a pleasant, courteous and businesslike manner. Flexibility, honesty, mutual respect and patience lubricate a successful negotiation. Sales hustlers receive short shrift. I ensure the salesman has my contact information. I want him to follow-up with me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:41:50 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline johnnyboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 08n highlander hybrid, 13 Corolla LE,14 suzuki boulevard 800 11 burgman 650
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 09:56:15 am »
From the Dealer's point of view, it is in many cases a condition of employment as a salesperson that
1. one has a copy of the clients drivers license and
2. accompany the client uon the drive.
As to retaining the copy, one can offer to return it, and ask the potential client if they would like to be followed up.
Dealers rarely run credit checks, we leave that to the Lending Institution.

If a potential client is in my showroom to drive one of our cars , they must attempt to satisfy conditions laid down by our insurance company and our owners in order to do so. If they do not wish to ,they can leave. We have had cars stolen and damaged. End of story.

99% of people I deal with understand where we are coming from. The 1% that do not , one does not have to worry about as they represent such a small percentage of potential sales.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:34 pm »
If a dealer became obstreperous I would not hesitate to file formal complaints with all appropriate government agencies. It costs me nothing. It's like a 50-gallon enema for him. The pain never stops! Sane businessmen avoid civil servants.

::)

Like I said, 1 out of 5 ppl have some sort of mental health/psychological issue.  Unfortunately, many of these folks think that a dealership is a public place and that the staff are indeed "public servants" akin to a provincially funded tourist centre paid to listen to their babblings.   

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 03:45:01 pm »
...If a dealer became obstreperous I would not hesitate to file formal complaints with all appropriate government agencies.

Wow!  I'll bet you've been waiting a LIFETIME to work that baby into a sentence...
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »
As to the OP, he said it was many years ago.  If it was before 2006 you don't really have much to go on, as that was prior to the current privacy legislation.

We copy the DL for any customer taken an unaccompanied test drive.  We do it because we have a red light camera about a block away, and we need it to prove who was driving the car, not just to ensure they have a license.

Arctic is correct about the credit checks, they aren't free.  We pay about $15 for each one we pull.  why would we pull one on everyone on a test drive?

I can ask you six innocuous questions and already know your credit status without you even knowing I know. ;)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 04:55:24 pm »
Still darn frustrating.

As to the OP, he said it was many years ago.  If it was before 2006 you don't really have much to go on, as that was prior to the current privacy legislation.