Poll

Would you avoid buying a car if the transmission was a CVT?

yes
20 (40%)
no
21 (42%)
have not driven one and can't say
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: CVT Transmissions  (Read 12791 times)

CatsEye68

Re: CVT Transmissions
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 09:04:22 pm »

Offline dboz

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 03 Matrix XR, 09 Matrix XR
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2010, 10:41:57 pm »
I think a 6 speed automatic would have enough ratios for my driving environment while maintaining superior reliability and lower maintenance cost when compared to a CVT transmission.

Surely the regular 6 speed auto wouldn't be as efficient, nor as smooth as a CVT transmission would be, but the reasons above are more than enough for me to put up with some jerky gear changes, and some lost efficiency.

Even the 4 speed auto in my 03 Matrix is adequate for the job. Its first gear is kind of short to give an artificial sporty feeling (unexpectedly fast from a standstill, up until to the second gear:) ) and the 4th gear is tall enough to return ~7L/100km fuel economy. Some owners at matrixowners. com are past behind the 300,000 mile mark (where the matrix/rolla odometer stops counting) with the original transmission, so I'm pretty sure if I keep flushing the transmission fluid it's pretty much bulletproof.

Is there any recent studies about the CVT transmission reliability?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:57:35 pm by bozo »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12393
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:40 am »
Nissan's CVT transmission is something I could live with - but not something I would choose to live with.  And when it comes to cars in almost any segment, buyers are spoiled for choice.  If I can't have a manual, I'd rather have a good 6-speed auto (can't believe how many supposedly premium cars today are still swapping cogs with retro-tech 5 speeds) or a DSG.  I will say that in manual mode, Nissan's CVTs change "gears" faster than most conventional autos - but my experience suggests that this will be a mode rarely used as most non-stickshift transmissions work better when left to themselves.

The CVT transmission is the reason the Maxima - a car I otherwise REALLY like - isn't on my shopping list.

Oh, and I sure don't find the alll-black interior of my Altima too very horrible at all.  There are enough silver  / chrome accents to brighten the darkness.

Not specifically on topic, but I can't imagine anyone NOT finding the proximity key / push button ignition to be anything less than entirely convenient.  Unless some particular joy is taken with fumbling with key fobs and turning and cranking an ignition switch, I suppose.  After just a little time spent with this system, it has put the old method in the category of wind-up windows aqnd manual door locks.  Sure, I could live with them - but I don't want to.  It's a feature my next car will likely have regardless of the brand.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 09:13:22 am »
why dont we have this kinda ADVANCED !!! engine earings on our HOUSE ???......just sayin....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 01:41:04 pm »
I drove a SE R with the CVT and now I am in the speed 3. The CVT is fine. It'll out accelerate a Civic Si off the line with less HP simply due to how well the CVT actually works compared to a driver rowing his gears.

There's a lot of people saying it slower. It's not it just feels different.

Remember the CVT almost made it in to F1 if it wasn't for the rules banning it to keep the cars from sounding like planes.

CatsEye68

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »
Oh, and I sure don't find the alll-black interior of my Altima too very horrible at all.  There are enough silver  / chrome accents to brighten the darkness.

My rental was a S model and so did not have the aluminum-look storage compartment door nor, I think, the same material surrounding the shifter. Nor did it have a color nav screen, since it didn't have nav. It was dark in there.

Not specifically on topic, but I can't imagine anyone NOT finding the proximity key / push button ignition to be anything less than entirely convenient.  Unless some particular joy is taken with fumbling with key fobs and turning and cranking an ignition switch, I suppose.  After just a little time spent with this system, it has put the old method in the category of wind-up windows aqnd manual door locks.  Sure, I could live with them - but I don't want to.  It's a feature my next car will likely have regardless of the brand.

I found it a pain. You needed the fob out of your pocket to unlock the doors or the trunk, then you had to put it back in your pocket so you didn't forget it and leave it in the car. Then when you got where you were going you had to fish it out of your pocket to lock the car. With a normal key+fob system it's in your hand when you need to use it. 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:31 pm »

My rental was a S model and so did not have the aluminum-look storage compartment door nor, I think, the same material surrounding the shifter. Nor did it have a color nav screen, since it didn't have nav. It was dark in there.

I found it a pain. You needed the fob out of your pocket to unlock the doors or the trunk, then you had to put it back in your pocket so you didn't forget it and leave it in the car. Then when you got where you were going you had to fish it out of your pocket to lock the car. With a normal key+fob system it's in your hand when you need to use it. 

Absolutely incorrect that you need to have the FOB out of your pocket to unlock the doors or trunk.  Perhaps the battery in your FOB was near dead, but I can assure you that you do not need to take them out of your pocket for locking or unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, etc.  Either than a potential bad battery in a FOB, not sure how you came to your conclusions.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 07:34:40 pm »
..Fob off the lot of ewww.................

CatsEye68

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »
Absolutely incorrect that you need to have the FOB out of your pocket to unlock the doors or trunk.  Perhaps the battery in your FOB was near dead, but I can assure you that you do not need to take them out of your pocket for locking or unlocking the doors, opening the trunk, etc.  Either than a potential bad battery in a FOB, not sure how you came to your conclusions.

So are you saying that the doors would automatically unlock when you walked within a certain range of the vehicle with the fob?

That certainly was not the case here.

Both locking and unlocking required you to press the appropriate button on the fob.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:35 pm »

So are you saying that the doors would automatically unlock when you walked within a certain range of the vehicle with the fob?

Both locking and unlocking required you to press the appropriate button on the fob.

No..I believe you have to touch the door handle, then the door unlocks (that how my Lexus keyless works). 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:17 pm »

No, what I am saying is that you do NOT need to take the FOB out of your pocket as you claim in order to lock/unlock the doors or open the trunk.  You simply press a button on either front doors or the trunk to lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk.........all while your FOB is IN your pocket without even touching it.  

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »

No, what I am saying is that you do NOT need to take the FOB out of your pocket as you claim in order to lock/unlock the doors or open the trunk.  You simply press a button on either front doors or the trunk to lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk.........all while your FOB is IN your pocket without even touching it.  

Yea...definitely operator error by the sounds of it.

Works similar to my Lexus, except the whole door handle is the button....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2010, 05:14:19 am »

Yep.......Nissans have been like this for awhile. My dad's 05 Murano works this way for both the door and the tailgate. You just have to touch the little black button on the handle with the fob still in your pocket.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2010, 05:18:10 am »
I've driven a BMW New Mini with a CVT.  It didn't feel bad.  I am not sure I would get one in a new car.  I think I'd rather go with a manual and save $1500 or so for something else like nice rims. 

I think MINI gave up on the CVT in the last redesign because of reliability problems. I know our 09 has a 6 speed Aisan.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2010, 06:01:45 am »

On a Nissan with push start you never need to use the fob, the fob is in your pocket, jacket, purse etc it is a proximity system. You press the little rubber button on the handle once for the driver, twice for all doors.  On the Juke, the trunk has 2 buttons, the little one is a relock for the passenger and driver doors.

What this not a CVT thread?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2010, 06:15:51 am »

On a Nissan with push start you never need to use the fob, the fob is in your pocket, jacket, purse etc it is a proximity system. You press the little rubber button on the handle once for the driver, twice for all doors.  On the Juke, the trunk has 2 buttons, the little one is a relock for the passenger and driver doors.

What this not a CVT thread?
No it's an import bashing thread now and a review of a rental altima. ::)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:54 am »
On priuschat.com there is very little( all most none) talk of repairs to a CVT
It appears change the fluid and all is good

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:05 am »
I've driven a BMW New Mini with a CVT.  It didn't feel bad.  I am not sure I would get one in a new car.  I think I'd rather go with a manual and save $1500 or so for something else like nice rims. 

I think MINI gave up on the CVT in the last redesign because of reliability problems. I know our 09 has a 6 speed Aisan.

Not sure if reliability played a factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the feel of the CVT didn't match with a sporty little car.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12393
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2010, 08:19:03 am »

No..I believe you have to touch the door handle, then the door unlocks (that how my Lexus keyless works). 

Correct.  Greg obviously didn't understand how the system worked, hence his dissatisfaction with it.

There is a little rubber button on the door handle.  As long as you have the key in your pocket (briefcase, whatever) you just touch that button to unlock the door, touch it twice to unlock all.  There is a similar button on the underside of the trunk lid - press it and lift the trunk.  You never need to handle the key fob to lock / unlock doors / trunk or start the car.  The only time I use the fob is when I am approaching the car when it has been parked outside on a hot summer day.  Press and hold the unlock button will drop the power windows and let that big blast of heat escape before you get there.

Jaeger

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:56 am »

Not sure if reliability played a factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the feel of the CVT didn't match with a sporty little car.

Actually I seem to recall quite a lot of talk about this topic on some of the Mini forums (and even a thread about a news story concerning the problem here). Seems there were a fair number Mini CVT's grenading just after the warranty was up. If I recall correctly there was no repair possible ,,,just a replacement unit for big $$$$ :(

http://newmini.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/mini-cooper-transmission-problems/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:00:23 am by sailor723 »