Author Topic: 2011 10Best Cars Awarded by Car and Driver  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: 2011 10Best Cars Awarded by Car and Driver
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 02:33:30 pm »
The CTS-V has other qualities, like a gazillions HP.  :P

Let's face it, other than a nice exterior design and apparently some nice interior materials, the Fiesta isn't much to write home about. What's so different about it that isn't offered by other cars in the segment? It's about middle of the pack in most aspects, IMO. It is nice-looking though, no question about that.

Have you driven a Fiesta or are you going off of reviews?

Based not on magazine reviews, but on my firsthand experiences with the Fiesta, Fit, Scion xD, and Nissan Versa, I thought the Fit was not just best, but a true standout, in handling and composure on twisty roads, direct and taut steering (if devoid of feedback), sound insulation, an overall feeling of solidity, and interior materials.  Also wins by far on amenities (only one with heated seats, leather seats, best stereo, etc).

Actual mistake, or Freudian slip?  ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »
He hasn't but keeps saying the same thing.  The Fiesta is no good, but when you drive one you realize there is a reason it is winning awards and stuff.  It's a true standout.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:27 pm »
He hasn't but keeps saying the same thing.  The Fiesta is no good, but when you drive one you realize there is a reason it is winning awards and stuff.  It's a true standout.

...not to Car & Driver...  ;)

I remember ready two comparisons involving the Fiesta. One here on CD where the Mazda2 was preferred to it, and the other on Car & Driver where both the Mazda2 and Fit were preferred to it. Has the Fiesta actually won any of these comparisons in any of the car publications?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12392
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 02:45:55 pm »
The only entry that has me scratching my head is the Accord.  It's a good car - nothing more.  It's neither the best in class in any single measure nor the best overall, IMHO.  How it rates a 10 Best entry is beyond me.

I know the Fiesta has its fans on this board, and while I haven't driven one, I have noted that it sure doesn't rock the comparison tests the way the pre-release hype said it would - generally losing out to both the Fit and the Mazda 2.  It's a solid entry, no doubt, but clearly the opinion that it is THE benchmark  in its class is not universally held.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »
It's a solid entry, no doubt, but clearly the opinion that it is THE benchmark  in its class is not universally held.

Jaeger

How would you define "THE benchmark"? I'd take it as undisputed "THE best" in every major area.

While I like Fiesta and it would be my overall pick in the segment (I like Mazda2 and Fit in some respects too), I don't think it's THE best in every respect and I would expect no car to be.
Depending on the set criteria, each of the Mazda2, Fit and Fiesta could win a comparison IMO.

Mitlov

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 02:59:07 pm »
The only entry that has me scratching my head is the Accord.  It's a good car - nothing more.  It's neither the best in class in any single measure nor the best overall, IMHO.  How it rates a 10 Best entry is beyond me.

I know the Fiesta has its fans on this board, and while I haven't driven one, I have noted that it sure doesn't rock the comparison tests the way the pre-release hype said it would - generally losing out to both the Fit and the Mazda 2.  It's a solid entry, no doubt, but clearly the opinion that it is THE benchmark  in its class is not universally held.

Jaeger

About the Accord, I agree.  I thought the Sonata deserves its place, and maybe the Fusion, but I really wasn't so sure about the current-gen Accord.  It's not a bad car, but 10-best-on-the-market?  I don't see that.

As for the Fiesta, none of these cars are "universally held" as benchmarks.  Some people might prefer a Mazdaspeed3 over a GTI, for example.  I was speaking as to my belief, based on my first-hand experiences, that the Fiesta is more deserving of this award than the Fit.  Or maybe they could both win and the Accord could be removed from the list.  Based on my first-hand experiences, I felt the Fiesta should be on the list.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »

Jaeger

About the Accord, I agree.  I thought the Sonata deserves its place, and maybe the Fusion, but I really wasn't so sure about the current-gen Accord.  It's not a bad car, but 10-best-on-the-market?  I don't see that.

What's so great about the Fusion? Big incentives? Unless you're talking about the Fusion Hybrid, in which case the Sonata Hybrid trumps it in any meaninful way, IMO.

While I agree the Accord doesn't really stand out anymore, it's still the measuring stick against which all the other mid-size sedans are compared to, IMO. I'm not sure that makes it worthy of being on a 10 Best list, but it's still a very good car in its own right.

Mitlov

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 03:11:41 pm »

Jaeger

What's so great about the Fusion? Big incentives? Unless you're talking about the Fusion Hybrid, in which case the Sonata Hybrid trumps it in any meaninful way, IMO.

While I agree the Accord doesn't really stand out anymore, it's still the measuring stick against which all the other mid-size sedans are compared to, IMO. I'm not sure that makes it worthy of being on a 10 Best list, but it's still a very good car in its own right.

Since you seem to place great weight on magazine reviews, I'll let Motor Trend explain for me.  Here's their explanation of why the updated Fusion was their 2010 Car of the Year (not just ten best, but COTY).  Be sure to read all four pages of the explanation (it's too long to copy and paste here).

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/112_1001_2010_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_ford_fusion/index.html

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 03:20:32 pm »

Yup.  Hyundai has NEVER used Big Incentives to move product.   ::)

You should add IMHBFFOO to your tag - In My Humble But Far From Objective Opinion.   :rofl:
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 03:21:55 pm »
I can't wait till we release our top 20 picks :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 03:30:27 pm »
Unless you're talking about the Fusion Hybrid, in which case the Sonata Hybrid trumps it in any meaninful way, IMO.

Have you driven one? Oh.. I forgot, it's not on the  market yet, isn't it?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12392
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »

As for the Fiesta, none of these cars are "universally held" as benchmarks.  Some people might prefer a Mazdaspeed3 over a GTI, for example.  I was speaking as to my belief, based on my first-hand experiences, that the Fiesta is more deserving of this award than the Fit.  Or maybe they could both win and the Accord could be removed from the list.  Based on my first-hand experiences, I felt the Fiesta should be on the list.

That any individual might prefer any of the Fit / Fiesta / Mazda 2 as a personal favorite doesn't suprise me.  They are all competitive entries.  I feel that the Fit likely provides the best combination of fun and practicality - which no doubt helps explain its spot on the list and it's continued high ranking in comparison tests.  That said, if the Fiesta were on the list and the Fit excluded, I wouldn't be screaming that it was an outrage.  And if they replaced the Accord with the Fiesta, then I'd have no complaints about the list at all.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:21:07 pm by Jaeger »

Mitlov

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »
And if they replaced the Accord with the Fiesta, then I'd have no complaints about the list at all.

For the record, my real beef was the omission of the Fiesta from the list, not the inclusion of the Fit.  There are several other genres where they have two cars on the list; if they made room elsewhere (Accord being the obvious choice), both the Fit and Fiesta could be there.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »
Unless you're talking about the Fusion Hybrid, in which case the Sonata Hybrid trumps it in any meaninful way, IMO.

As they say, don't let the facts get in the way of a great story (about :bow: Hyundai)! 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »
I can't wait till we release our top 20 picks :)

:rofl2:  Flame suit on!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »

Since when has that been a criteria for these awards? The Volt and Leaf both aren't on the market yet have been included in many awards so far.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2010, 09:35:15 pm »
Well, this thread has been useful to me.  I now know which sub-compact I'm going to rent next time I rent a car... Fiesta!  Gotta find out what all the fuss is about....  :)  I really liked the Focus I rented for a week.

I guess people's impression of 'fun to drive' can really vary.  And I'm guessing it might have a lot to do with expectations at times.  Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I really didn't find my test drive of an NC generation Miata (hard top) that interesting.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2010, 11:36:02 pm »

Since when has that been a criteria for these awards? The Volt and Leaf both aren't on the market yet have been included in many awards so far.

My point is how do you know the Sonata Hybrid trumps the Fusion Hybrid in any way? Did anyone drive a Sonata Hybrid PRODUCTION model beyond perhaps a Hyundai press event?