Author Topic: 2011 10Best Cars Awarded by Car and Driver  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: 2011 10Best Cars Awarded by Car and Driver
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:21:52 pm »
What? No Fiesta, Regal or Cruze? I demand a recount!!!  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »
Nice that the humble Fit is in there and the GTI.    I'm a generation behind on both of them...oh well.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34:21 pm »
..What are the Fit and Accord doing in there............does CARP&DOOFUS...recycle 2 out of TEN pics each year.... :think: :light:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:34:48 pm »

I think the Fiesta should have been there.  I think it's a better car overall than the Fit.  Or hell, give two slots to subcompacts this year instead of two slots to luxury supersedans (M3 and CTS-V).

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:47:45 pm »
I think the Fiesta should have been there.  I think it's a better car overall than the Fit.  Or hell, give two slots to subcompacts this year instead of two slots to luxury supersedans (M3 and CTS-V).

C&D doesn't think so, when the the Fit and Fiesta are both equipped with manual transmissions.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/2011_ford_fiesta_vs._2010_honda_fit_2011_mazda_2-comparison_tests

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »
Only real surprise to me is the Accord. I didn't figure they would waste a spot on it when they already had the Sonata.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:48:52 pm »
Interesting grouping.  The usual players are there for C&D, 3-Series, Accord, Cayman.  It is nce to see a few new entries like the Mustang, Volt and Sonata.  But how can the Accord and the Sonata both make the list?  Doesn't the C&D top 10 usually mean the top 10 biggest stand outs in thie respective categories?  Are the Accord and the Sonata that equal?  ???

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 12:49:21 pm »

Not if you value practicality. And really, what's the point of an impractical hatchback?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:48 pm »
..which of the TEN would U pick......no doubling up on tha cheap CRAP ;D.............

Moi tha Cayman S in a metallic BLUE ...DRIVEN YEAR ROUND........... :thumbup: :lick: :inlove:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 01:02:21 pm »

Not if you value practicality. And really, what's the point of an impractical hatchback?

Why would you buy a sub-compact if utility is top priority? I know, Fit is a clever little car, but it gives up in other areas like design ("cool" factor), equipment, interior grade, value.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:45 pm »

Why would you buy a sub-compact if utility is top priority? I know, Fit is a clever little car, but it gives up in other areas like design ("cool" factor), equipment, interior grade, value.

What else offers more praticality than a Fit in the sub-$20k market?

Design & "cool" factor are entirely subjective, no point in arguing about that one. Value is very high on the Fit because of its long-term reliability, and resale is always high on small Hondas. Interior grade is still above average for the segment, and equipment, well it depends I suppose. Will many buyers give up some equipment for proven reliability and incredible versatility/utility? The number of Fit's on the roads would indicate that's the case. Extra equipment is nice, but if you don't care for said extra equipment, what's the point? Many people want a simple A-B car with a few must-haves (A/C, auto, power locks/windows, etc.) that also allows them to carry big items when needed. For those people, the Fit is perfect.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:26:45 pm »
Wow...a Hyundai on C&D's 10 Best list.  Way to go Hyundai!!!   :cheers:

I was wondering if the 3 series or the Accord were going to ge bumped this year.  Especially the Accord, with lots of new competition in the segment.  BMW & Honda must be doing something right with the driving dynamics of both of these cars.  Same reason the Fit is there and not the Fiesta, fun to drive.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 01:57:08 pm »

The Fiesta is a step behind in interior space (yet hardly "impractical" if you're willing to look at subcompacts to begin with) and a step ahead in handling AND ride quality AND sound insulation AND interior materials AND available amenities AND fuel economy.  I think it's the better overall car, whereas the Fit just excels in one particular area.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:07 pm »

The Fiesta is a step behind in interior space (yet hardly "impractical" if you're willing to look at subcompacts to begin with) and a step ahead in handling AND ride quality AND sound insulation AND interior materials AND available amenities AND fuel economy.  I think it's the better overall car, whereas the Fit just excels in one particular area.

Fiesta beats the Fit in many aspects (sound insulation, maybe interior materials, equipment, maybe fuel economy), but handling? That's one of the weak points of the Fiesta! Numb steering, feels larger and heavier than it really is. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/2011_ford_fiesta_vs._2010_honda_fit_2011_mazda_2-comparison_tests/2011_ford_fiesta_ses_page_2

Whatever. No point arguing here. The Fit certainly has many great qualities, reliability being one of the major ones, and Car and Driver certainly took into account those great qualities.

Btw, does C&D publish text somewhere to explain why they picked those 10 cars?

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 02:08:33 pm »

Fiesta beats the Fit in many aspects (sound insulation, maybe interior materials, equipment, maybe fuel economy), but handling? That's one of the weak points of the Fiesta! Numb steering, feels larger and heavier than it really is. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/2011_ford_fiesta_vs._2010_honda_fit_2011_mazda_2-comparison_tests/2011_ford_fiesta_ses_page_2

Whatever. No point arguing here. The Fit certainly has many great qualities, reliability being one of the major ones, and Car and Driver certainly took into account those great qualities.

Btw, does C&D publish text somewhere to explain why they picked those 10 cars?

As for their relative handling, I'm going of first-hand experience in driving them both back-to-back.  The Fit had slightly more communicative steering (though steering on the Fiesta was still very direct and sharp), and the Fiesta had faaaaaaaar better body control and poise on a twisting, bumpy road.  It most certainly did not feel large or heavy in any way.  I don't know if the tires were flat in the one C&D tested or what, but I thought their review was of a totally different car than the one I drove.

Car & Driver does not typically, and should not at all, consider reliability as part of their rankings, as they have no method of testing it or gathering data.  See: CTS-V in the Ten Best.  Do you really think they have reliability info on that?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
The CTS-V has other qualities, like a gazillions HP.  :P

Let's face it, other than a nice exterior design and apparently some nice interior materials, the Fiesta isn't much to write home about. What's so different about it that isn't offered by other cars in the segment? It's about middle of the pack in most aspects, IMO. It is nice-looking though, no question about that.

Mitlov

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 02:13:29 pm »

I was wondering if the 3 series or the Accord were going to ge bumped this year.  Especially the Accord, with lots of new competition in the segment.  BMW & Honda must be doing something right with the driving dynamics of both of these cars.  Same reason the Fit is there and not the Fiesta, fun to drive.

Everyone but C&D thinks the latest-generation Accord is one of the least fun-to-drive Accords in recent memory.

I'm no Honda hater (look at my driveway, for chrissake), but I think C&D gives an unfair advantage to Hondas (and perhaps BMWs) in their rankings.  Consciously or unconsciously, but I think they do.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 02:15:20 pm »

Everyone but C&D thinks the latest-generation Accord is one of the least fun-to-drive Accords in recent memory.

I'm no Honda hater (look at my driveway, for chrissake), but I think C&D gives an unfair advantage to Hondas (and perhaps BMWs) in their rankings.  Consciously or unconsciously, but I think they do.

Why would they remove the Hondas & BMWs if nothing else stands out as being outright better than them?

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 02:19:06 pm »
The CTS-V has other qualities, like a gazillions HP.  :P

Let's face it, other than a nice exterior design and apparently some nice interior materials, the Fiesta isn't much to write home about. What's so different about it that isn't offered by other cars in the segment? It's about middle of the pack in most aspects, IMO. It is nice-looking though, no question about that.

Have you driven a Fiesta or are you going off of reviews?

Based not on magazine reviews, but on my firsthand experiences with the Fiesta, Fit, Scion xD, and Nissan Versa, I thought the Fiesta was not just best, but a true standout, in handling and composure on twisty roads, direct and taut steering (if devoid of feedback), sound insulation, an overall feeling of solidity, and interior materials.  Also wins by far on amenities (only one with heated seats, leather seats, best stereo, etc).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:34:04 pm by wing »