Author Topic: Had a moron pulled over on the 407ETR  (Read 5314 times)

Offline blizzard35

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Had a moron pulled over on the 407ETR
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 09:01:03 am »
Hopefully he didn't get a ticket...

Of course they got a ticket. Those GTA 400 series patrol OPP are on a major quota system.  Worse you made an insurance company a little richer for the next three years.  ::)

When East Germany fell apart and joined West Germany it was discovered and confirmed that 1 out of 5 East Germans were officially registered as informants with the State Security Service.

Resist the temptation to be an informant unless it's absolutely necessary to f*ck a stranger over.

I totally disagree....report all offenders...period!  Ignorance is no excuse.  If you are in "care & control" of a motor vehicle, it is your responsibility that "ALL" components of that vehicle are operating properly, including having your driving lights ON at night..duh!  It is also your responsibility as the driver to obey "ALL" of the laws and comply with all rules and regulations in the jurisdiction that you are driving.  This goes for out of province/out of country drivers as well.  Same for idiots who fail to signal when changing lanes, don't come to a complete stop, drive in the passing lane etc.  If you don't want to obey the rules...fine, stay off the road, then there will be no need to "be an informant" and f*ck over/report an idiot...I mean stranger!

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:05 am »
Personally, I like the Subaru system:  just turn the lights to 'ON', then when you the car is running, the lights are on; when the car is not running, the lights are off.

Agreed. That's how the system is on my Volvo and BMW. I don't ever worry about the lights.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
I don't trust auto-lights (the ones with the light sensors). Some of them don't light up at dusk or don't register fog as an issue.

Much prefer the current set up in the Golf and previous Passat - when sitting you're literally in the dark until you switch on full external lights, which in turn lights up the driver's dashboard gauges.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »
Lighted gauges are pretty and help sells cars so everyone's putting them in. I don't have an issue with that. The problem is people are pretty unobservant. My last car had no indication of when the lights are on except for the switch and the dimming of the instrument. It never stopped me from remembering to turn on the lights. But for me that's because when I drive I actually think about what I am doing. Most people just hop in and drive. Which leads to the bigger question of what kind of driver are those who don't noticed if their lights are on or not.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 01:29:12 pm »
I don't trust auto-lights (the ones with the light sensors). Some of them don't light up at dusk or don't register fog as an issue.

I just put a cover over my sensor. Headlights are now automatically on all the time, and shut off with with the ignition. Works great.

Sival

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 02:28:43 pm »
I actually made the mistake of forgetting to turn the low beams on once. I blame GM, they made me so used to automatic headlights that when I had to borrow my mom's Toyota, I forgot that in some cars you have to manually turn them on. :-[

Though I knew something was off and I caught on after a few minutes, then one minute to fidget and find the correct switch to turn them on.

In general though, I'd say my main problem with headlights during night-time driving conditions is people who keep driving with their high beams on all the time. Oh, and trucks which headlights directly illuminate the cars in front of them instead of the road.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »
 My Versa's instrument lights are always on, but the HVAC and radio lights don't come on unless I turn on the headlight switch. Even if you're clueless enough not to notice that, how can you not notice that the DRLs are so dim? Oh, never mind... ???
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:35 pm »
Funny how that works.  Two of my biggest pet peeves, DRLs on well after dusk and HID-type bulbs in non-HID headlight reflectors have been commented on by forum members in the last 24 hours.   Whew!  I was feeling curmudgeony and now not so much! 

And oh, btw, @OP:  Good job!  More people have to report these people instead of just whining/complaining/grousing and generally watching your BP go up. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:22:31 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 11:12:50 pm »
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 11:56:05 pm »

I totally disagree....report all offenders...period! ger!

You must feel pretty important...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40:46 am »
Thanks Angry Chicken.

cono_sur

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »
I called *OPP and reported the vehicle was driving without any lights on and within 5 minutes the OPP pulled him over.

I didn't know about *OPP

Thanks for the tip. I see a few drivers EVERY DAY without their lights on in the evening. Ughhhhhh!

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 02:59:18 pm »

Much prefer the current set up in the Golf and previous Passat - when sitting you're literally in the dark until you switch on full external lights, which in turn lights up the driver's dashboard gauges.

Have to admit, I miss the auto headlights and rain sense wipers of the Astra. They both worked very well.

Although cheaper than auto lamps, at least VW also gets it right by illuminating the knob for the headlights always. As silly as it sounds, if it's a rental or a vehicle they're borrowing think a part of the problem for people who might clue in their headlights are off is the switch (if at the end of the turn signals) or button isn't illuminated so they can't find it in the dark without really taking their eyes off the road.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 11:47:34 pm »

I totally disagree....report all offenders...period! ger!

You must feel pretty important...

I actually in favour of that, as long as the first stone cast by the "reporter" is self-aimed.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 06:59:38 am »
I also noticed on my dad's work car (2006 Jetta TDI), friend's 2007 City Golf and another's 2007 Rabbit that the dash doesn't illuminate unless the knob is turned to turn on headlights.

That's the way it should be. "Hey, I can't see my dashboard, maybe I should turn on my headlights"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »
 ??? ::) hey i cant see tha KNOB to TURN on the Headlights...........so fack DAT..........the few $$s it take to have auto lights when the DARKNESS HITS (NOT JUST in the EVENING) but on snowy,dark rainy nights.......OoooH very scary children!!!! :).....
.....now give me some blood and a MOLSONS............... :hide: :hide: :hide:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 04:30:33 am »
Just wondering if the U.S. versions of these vehicle have the same stupid design??

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 08:06:38 pm »
...how hard is it to turn your headlights on?

Following someone at night the other day, their turn signal was flashing for over 3 kms.

How can someone not notice a blinking light on their dash at night? Must have been tunnel vision.  ::)
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 03:33:54 am »
1.   He must have vision in one eye only. :P

2.   Must have the radio on loud so he could not hear the click, click from the turn signals.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:35:49 am by duck »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »

?[/quote]

How can someone not notice a blinking light on their dash at night? Must have been tunnel vision.  ::)
[/quote].............

Oy easy on the Language there are some adult children on board here................. :run: