Author Topic: Had a moron pulled over on the 407ETR  (Read 5313 times)

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
Had a moron pulled over on the 407ETR
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
Tonight I was going eastbound on the ETR when a 2009 Honda Accord 4 door was in the furthest right lane driving with only DRL's (no low beams and no tail lights), I high beamed him and then I honked at him. Nothing. I called *OPP and reported the vehicle was driving without any lights on and within 5 minutes the OPP pulled him over.

Hopefully he didn't get a ticket... but for goodness sakes people, how hard is it to turn your headlights on? This was a clear night and pitch black. Not difficult to understand to turn the low beams on. He could've caused a collision.

I swear, people in the GTA are getting dumber and dumber.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Had a moron pulled over on the 407ETR
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:37:45 pm »
I think the 2009 accords still have those luminescent instruments...similar ones in the RX-8.  It's tougher to know that the lights are "on" vs the other instruments that are dark at night.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:45:12 pm »
Yes, Honda and Acura gauges are lit up even with the lights off so it's easy to forget, especially if you don't drive often at night.

Personally I think those always-lit gauges should be considered a safety hazard.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:48:15 pm »
I see a lot of Toyota drivers doing the same.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »

Well, duh! How was he supposed to understand you blinding him with high beams and honking? I think you should have called a cruiser for yourself as well  ::)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:34:58 pm »
I'd be kinda freaked out if someone was following me, honking and high beaming.

Yeah I have some dumb friends, who drive with only DRL's...because their gauges are automatically lit up. I don't understand why...DRL output is really weak when its dark out. Its more obvious on cars with HIDs though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:39:11 pm by 2hondas1BMW »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:38:30 pm »
Could be worse. I once followed a guy with no brake-lamps at all. Was during the day so I did not notice. Having him slow from 120 to zero without any lamps was quite irritating. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 06:21:31 am »
I called *OPP and reported the vehicle.......and within 5 minutes the OPP pulled him over.

I would imagine you didn't use 911 so I am just wondering what # you did call to bring the OPP running ?:-\

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:32:57 am »
I would imagine you didn't use 911 so I am just wondering what # you did call to bring the OPP running ?:-\

I think you can call *OPP from a cell phone for things like that.

Not just the GTA, everywhere.

DRL output is really weak when its dark out. Its more obvious on cars with HIDs though.

Some of the highways inside the city are just as bright as city streets. I can easily see (pun intended) how this could happen.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:39:18 am »
mmret  - Called *OPP (*677).

2hondas1BMW - I wasn't trying to freak him honking as in blaring it, just a *toot toot* and 2 quick flashes, not leaving high beam on him.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:48:30 am »
I've often high beamed cars with no taillights / no headlights I have not had one understand what I am doing as they are clueless to begin with.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:30 am »
I am seeing this a lot on the 407 these days.  I too blame the automatic illuminating gauge pods.  Had it in my RX-8 and have it on my Subie and it has almost caused me to drive away without lights before.

My technique is drive in front of them, then turn off my lights 3 or 4 times.  This usually does the trick.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:07:36 am »
I am seeing this a lot on the 407 these days.  I too blame the automatic illuminating gauge pods.  Had it in my RX-8 and have it on my Subie and it has almost caused me to drive away without lights before.

My technique is drive in front of them, then turn off my lights 3 or 4 times.  This usually does the trick.

i've seen this technique couple of times, and at the time, i thought it was smart, because it's not very intrusive but very clear sign as long as the offending driver is paying attention to the surrounding.  (and also can be done either from infront or back of the offending driver.)

myself, i flash them with high beam.   so far, the success rate is close to nil.  i think it's the water that makes people stupid. :P

this is why I think GM(also most latest Toyota) is on the right track with automatic headlight on most of its vehicles.   i'm usually FOR the driver control of everything, but sometimes, it's worth the loss of control for the net benefit to our safety.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
I believe that's also the problem regarding dash lights that come on when the car starts (father's 2005 Honda Civic does it).

I believe all GM's (minus the Pontiac Wave/Chevrolet Aveo) have automatic headlights. My own car doesn't have an "off" position, what would be "off" is "Auto" which is automatic headlights.

"it's worth the loss of control for the net benefit to our safety."

:iagree:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »
Call me a moron I guess, but I've done this before  :P.  People make mistakes.  Of course, it was in my Tundra near the time I purchased it, whos gauges are illuminated at all times.  This is the first vehicle that I've owned that does this.

The gauges in my '05 Civic that I sold this year weren't automatically illuminated.  Must be a difference between trim levels. 

Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:58 pm »
Personally, I like the Subaru system:  just turn the lights to 'ON', then when you the car is running, the lights are on; when the car is not running, the lights are off.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:32 pm »
Hopefully he didn't get a ticket...

Of course they got a ticket. Those GTA 400 series patrol OPP are on a major quota system.  Worse you made an insurance company a little richer for the next three years.  ::)

When East Germany fell apart and joined West Germany it was discovered and confirmed that 1 out of 5 East Germans were officially registered as informants with the State Security Service.

Resist the temptation to be an informant unless it's absolutely necessary to f*ck a stranger over.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:43:46 pm by articsteve »

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 06:21:41 am »
"My technique is drive in front of them, then turn off my lights 3 or 4 times.  This usually does the trick" - Won't happen with my car, it has automatic headlights and they will not turn off unless the car is in park and the engine shuts off. Sounds like a good idea though.

Articsteve- Wasn't being a "snitch", just concerned that he may have a collision because either he can't see what's ahead or someone may ram him from the rear because they didn't see him.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 07:57:57 am »
 ::)...I DRINK STASI LITE........................ :cheers: >:D....cos Harper does too.... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43:06 am »
"My technique is drive in front of them, then turn off my lights 3 or 4 times.  This usually does the trick" - Won't happen with my car, it has automatic headlights and they will not turn off unless the car is in park and the engine shuts off. Sounds like a good idea though.

Articsteve- Wasn't being a "snitch", just concerned that he may have a collision because either he can't see what's ahead or someone may ram him from the rear because they didn't see him.

Yeah, that reminds me of my Camaro days