Author Topic: This is why there aren't manuals offered in more trims on consumer level cars  (Read 13114 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
http://jalopnik.com/5694777/67-of-vehicles-sold-in-us-have-manual-transmissions

According to this article, 6.7% of vehicles in the US are sold with manual transmissions. It's barely a market worth considering by some automakers standards. It's a miracle that they offer the option at all. So when I see the next comment for a manual sport wagon that's like trying to fit 6.7% of 0% of the market (for wagons :)). I know everyone here wants one but... that's how things go these days.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

According to this article, 6.7% of vehicles in the US are sold with manual transmissions. It's barely a market worth considering by some automakers standards. It's a miracle that they offer the option at all. So when I see the next comment for a manual sport wagon that's like trying to fit 6.7% of 0% of the market (for wagons :)). I know everyone here wants one but... that's how things go these days.

However, many manufacturers continue to show automatics as "optional" at an additional cost of $1500 or so. ::)

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be the market for them.  However, if they were marketed better, maybe?  The North American public can be sold ANYTHING.  Look at television and listen to radio these days.  If car makers told everyone that they weren't cool unless they drove a stick, things might change.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car

However, many manufacturers continue to show automatics as "optional" at an additional cost of $1500 or so. ::)

As far as I know, that is only for vehicles were the MT is available.  There was no AT markup for our Sienna, as there was no transmission option.

I our house, a MT is not even considered as my wife will not drive one, regardless of "cool" or not.  And based on the majority of people we know, same answer.  I have also noted a marked increase in AT's in work trucks, from guys who 10 years ago wouldn't be found dead in an AT.  But the times they are a changing.

Interesting with the Forester is that it seems the current AT is a better performer than the MT version, especially off-road.  With no low range, or low first gear, in the MT, the AT allows for more "slipping" and crawling ability than the MT.  Subaru also has a slightly different AWD set-up between the MT and AT.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
The last stats I saw on Subaru stated that ~50% of their sales were manual.  Of course, that number is probably shrinking, but I know when I scan the used ads for Scoobs, many of them are sticks.

Mercedes tried offering six speed DIY shifters, and no one bought them.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
In the Buick Regal Turbo, the automatic transmission is standard and the standard transmission is a no charge upgrade. Lol. I would welcome if most car manufacturers decided to make standards cost the same as automatics as long as it was still available.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Just read that half of all Challenger SRT8 sales are manuals...
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
According to this article, 6.7% of vehicles in the US are sold with manual transmissions. It's barely a market worth considering by some automakers standards.

The US may not like MTs but the rest of the world (Europe, Asia, etc.) is far from going clutchless anytime soon.

Some manufacturers may offer manual models to lower their starting price.  I noticed that Kia (and others I'm sure) is offering some of their base model in manual only.  If you want to go automatic, you have to upgrade to the next package and pay 4-5k more.

2011 Kia Sportage LX (MT only) = $23 895
2011 Kia Sportage EX (AT only) = $28 895

It's great for buyers who are in the market for a stick shift but it must be a shock for someone who assumes its an automatic ... like most (95%+) CUVs on the road.
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Leviathan

of the 7 cars I've owned only 2 were automatics. I will keep buying manuals as long as they are available.
:thumbup: I went with a "lesser" model Tribute GX because that is all they offered a manual with.

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
I think the main reason is that you can't eat a Big Mac and talk on a cell phone at the same time with a manual...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
I think the main reason is that you can't eat a Big Mac and talk on a cell phone at the same time with a manual...

Yes you can.  :)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
I'd likely have an SE-R Spec V if it weren't for the fact the spouse can't drive stick (in case of emergencies).  It's only available in manual.   :'(
Fortune favours the bold!

Mitlov

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be the market for them.  However, if they were marketed better, maybe?  The North American public can be sold ANYTHING.  Look at television and listen to radio these days.  If car makers told everyone that they weren't cool unless they drove a stick, things might change.

What is the financial incentive for manufacturers to use advertising to re-educate buyers to want a less expensive, less-convenient transmission when they prefer a more expensive, more convenient setup?  To paraphrase a BMW executive explaining why North America got the 1-Series coupe instead of the 1-Series hatchback, car companies are in the business of selling people what they do want, not re-educating them as to what they should want.

I love manual transmissions.  But automatics are a lot more convenient for people who don't want to think about driving and just want their vehicle to be as low-fuss as possible.  Now that automatic transmissions are not only more convenient than manuals, but more fuel-efficient, it's no surprise that manual transmissions are reserved for a small percentage of enthusiasts.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Now that automatic transmissions are not only more convenient than manuals, but more fuel-efficient
I don't buy that... Where'd you hear this?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
A lot of the newer autos are more fuel efficient than the manuals offered.  And in real world driving perform even better as driver's driving manual rarely shift at the optimal rpm.

Mitlov

Now that automatic transmissions are not only more convenient than manuals, but more fuel-efficient
I don't buy that... Where'd you hear this?

www.fueleconomy.gov

Look up for yourself.  Examples for model year 2010 include the Lexus IS250, the Acura TSX, the Infiniti G37, the Scion tC, the Nissan Altima (both i4 and V6), etc.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Lady Osis couldn't drive stick when we first started dating in 1990. One of the very few times I put my foot down. She learned and wouldn't have it any other way now.

We've only had two cars with automatics, a 1968 Wildcat (kept it one year) and a 1990 Eagle Premier ES (kept it 6 months).
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
A lot of the newer autos are more fuel efficient than the manuals offered.  And in real world driving perform even better as driver's driving manual rarely shift at the optimal rpm.

:iagree:

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
When I go to this link, I get this which I have never seen before. NOT good, surf safely  :-\

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Lady Osis couldn't drive stick when we first started dating in 1990. One of the very few times I put my foot down. She learned and wouldn't have it any other way now.....

Oh you magnificent romantic beast you.................. ;) :pimp: :heart:.......

Time is to stop everything happening at once